Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downloaded RH 9 trial version and now Acrobat has disappeared

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have had Adobe Acrobat installed for years and use it all the time.  Have also had RH X5 installed on the same PC all along.  I downloaded the trial version of RH 9  and now find that all the icons for PDFs have changed to the icon you see when there's no application associated to the file.  And if I try to open a PDF I get a message telling me the file can't be opened unless I have the application installed.  And when I look in my program files in Windows Explorer, there is not longer an Acrobat folder.  Is it possible that the download of RH 9 somehow wiped out my Acrobat?  I have the Acrobat CD so could reinstall, but am hesitant until I understand what the problem might be.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Diane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2011 Jul 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure here. I could understand it if the PDF tool that ships with RoboHelp 9 had replaced Acrobat, although I would have been surprised. The problem here though is that it has not replaced Acrobat.

If you go to print any file from any application, you should see a PDF program in the list of printers. Do you see anything?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I appreciate your thoughts. Unfortunately I was much more in need of

Acrobat than RAH trial at the moment. The new project that was going to

require v9 fell through and I needed to use Acrobat so just last night I

uninstalled RH 9 9 trial and reinstalled Acrobat. I'd love to know what

the problem was as I suspect at some point I'll still have to upgrade to v9,

but for the time being it's not an issue and I'm unable to answer your

question or anyone else's until and unless I have the problem again.

Thanks again for your time.

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane

Just a guess here but my thought is that Acrobat really didn't need to be reinstalled. Likely something simply clobbered the file association in Windows. Exactly what, we may never know for certain. Likely you could have simply double-clicked the icon with the generic look, then navigated to the Acrobat executable and reassociated and things would have been fine.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assumed something like that, but I did do as you suggest below and Acrobat

wasn't to be found when I tried to open with it...only Acrobat Reader. The

Acrobat Professional folder and executable were nowhere to be found. Not

listed in Programs from the Start Menu and no folder in my Programs folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - "best practices" has it that you shouldn't have both the Reader and Distiller on the same machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the heads up - I wasn't aware of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear God! Did you happen to find out why this happened? Only yesterday I downloaded the RH9 trial version and, as you said, Acrobat gone... I will try to have it re-installed, but now I am affraid to download the RH10 trial version, as I work with Acrobat everyday, I cannot afford to just have it disappear on me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are going to need to take this one up with Adobe.

As I said much earlier in the thread, my thinking was that RoboHelp installed it's own lite version and that had somehow clobbered the full version. That said, it is not what I would expect, simply a thought as to what might have happened.

Also it is worth noting that this is the only thread I have seen about this problem.

When you installed Rh, did you elect to customise the installation and then deselect the installation of the lite version of Acrobat? If not, may that is what has caused this. I run several machines with Acrobat and installing Rh has never clobbered Acrobat.

Now that you have lost Acrobat I think you will need to also uninstall Rh, reinstall Acrobat and then install Rh as above.

If you need to come back here, knowing the version might help.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heavens! I uninstalled the RH9 trial version and will get the Acrobat re-installed. However, I really need to test the new RH 10, so I will be on the lookout for any problems. I will post here if I make any discovery during the installation. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While installin Rh 10,make sure you uncheck Adobe PDF Add on that comes with it.,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you! Will do that, it's just that I cannot even get the download to start... I've got the Akamai download manager, but when I start the download, it asks me for a download folder. No matter what folder i chose from my PC, an error message appears: Unable to Save File ---------- Please try again to save to a different location. But, no matter what location I select, the error message returns... this is getting rather frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kocs_Zita,

I am assuming the Acrobat version that you have been using is < Acrobat 9. RoboHelp 9 has a PDF Add-On v9. So if someone has an older version of Acrobat installed and chooses to install RH9 (with PDF ADD On option selected), Acrobat 9 will get uninstalled.

Similarly, RH10 ships with PDF Add-On v10. Anyone having Acrobat version older than 10, should uncheck the PDF Add-On option during installation to avoid uninstall of Acrobat. This is the behavior Acrobat/PDF Add-On impose on the products using them.

Thanks,

~Mohit Arora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit Arora,

Yes, that must have been the problem, as I am using Acrobat 8. I must have overlooked that issue. I will be much more careful, if I ever manage to install the RH10 trial version. For now, I am blocked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you blocked while downloading the RH10 trial? Can you try that on some other machine at your workplace or home, because I just tried downloading the RH 10 trial and its working fine at my end.

Thanks,

~Mohit Arora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohit

That's very useful to know. Follow on question. If someone has Acrobat X (10), should they still deselect the Add-On or is the Add-On something RoboHelp requires to make it play nicely with Acrobat X?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In such a case, PDF Add-On which comes with RH and the one in Acrobat X would be same and everything should work smoothly without Acrobat getting uninstalled.

~Mohit Arora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  Kocs_Zita,

If you and anybody else is not able to download Rh 10 and getting error while downloading,i am providing the direct links and instructions to use it:-

1)Goto this link https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?loc=en_us&product=robohelp

2)When you are at the page where you see the trial download for Rh10 copy the first link below and paste it in the address bar and press enter and save it to your desktop and do the same with the second link i have given below.

http://trials3.adobe.com/AdobeProducts/RBHP/10/win32/RoboHelp_10_WWEFDJ.7z

http://trials3.adobe.com/AdobeProducts/RBHP/10/win32/RoboHelp_10_WWEFDJ.exe

3)Once you have downloaded both the links to your desktop,run the exe and install Rh 10 .

Harpreet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harpreet,

Thank you a million for your post.

I tried it again this morning, and when I copy one of the two links in the address bar and press enter, it tells me File not found. This happened with Firefox, then I tried IE, which said Access denied, you don't have permission to access....

I don't understand... the original download, I don't think it's blocked on my computer, as the download window appears and I should only chose the destination path. That is where the problem is, no matter which path, what folder I select, it tells me Unable to save and that I should select a different location. Which I do, and it all starts all over again. I guess it's a local problem, if everybody else can download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I got one of my colleagues to download for me and copied from his PC. I have Windows XP and he has Windows 7, could that be the reason? Anyways, I got RH 10 trial running, so a lot of experimenting ahead! Thank you all for all your help!! Have a great weekend! Zita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it's the same download for all systems. Once you have a download, you can install it on any of the supported operating systems.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The links above both have a space in them (before the J), so if you copy the link and paste it into your browser, it won't work until you remove that.

Regards,

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Peter, your understanding is absolutely correct. I am copying this reply on forum as well for everyone else to have better understanding.

Thanks,

~Mohit Arora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to include Peter's email as well but seems it didn't appear here. I am quoting Peter's understanding of this behaviour (for everyone else as well) below which is correct:

"I understand that if you have Acrobat X, ticking the option when installing Rh10 will not uninstall Acrobat X, only earlier versions.

I'm reading your reply as meaning that if you have Acrobat X installed, it does not matter whether or not you tick the option when installing Rh10.

The only time you must tick the option if you want PDF functionality is if you do not have Acrobat X.

Have I got it right please?
"

Thanks,

Mohit Arora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great googley moogley!

I have Adobe Pro v7 and recently installed RoboHelp v10. I didn't realize until I tried to open a .pdf that my Adobe Pro was uninstalled by RH. So I tried re-installing Adobe Pro, and kept getting a message to the effect that I already have an Adobe reader that is a more recent version, so no install for me!

So I uninstalled the .pdf add-on from RoboHelp and re-installed Adobe Pro. NOW, though, RoboHelp 10 crashes whenever I try to generate .pdf versions of my project!

I need the editing capabilities of Adobe Pro, but I also have to be able to generate .pdf from RoboHelp. Is there a way I can install the add-on and still keep Adobe Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp