5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2012 2:43 AM by arjun2 RSS

Indesign doesn’t remember masterpages setting

arjun2 Community Member

In the master page options, apply master to pages, indesign doesn’t remember the last option used for the master. For example if I have set a particular master for pages 6-9 and then I decide to use it for 1-4 only, then indesign still retains the master for 6-9. I can’t delete it. What should I do?

• 1. Re: Indesign doesn’t remember masterpages setting
          Michael Gianino Community Member

It sounds like it is working the way it is supposed to. If you apply a master page to a document page, it remains applied until and unless you apply a different one. What you would do in your situation is to apply the master to pages 1-4, and then if you don't want it on 6-9, you would apply a different one to those pages.

If there is more to the story, please tell us.

• 2. Re: Indesign doesn’t remember masterpages setting
            arjun2 Community Member

what if i don't want any master to be applied to it?

• 3. Re: Indesign doesn’t remember masterpages setting
              Michael Gianino Community Member

I think we may be miscommunicating over terminology. Every document page is based on a master page, so not applying a master isn't an option. When you start a new document from scratch, the default master page is called A-Master, and it is applied to the one document page (unless you enter a different number into the pages field in the New Document pallet). You can apply None to your document pages, but essentially, None is a type of master as well.

If I understand your initial question, you have a document with at least 9 pages, that probably started with A-Master being applied to all 9. At some point, you made a new master, which by default was probably called B-Master (but you can change the name of the master if you like), and applied B-Master to pages 6-9. You then applied it to 1-4, and expected pages 6-9 to revert back to A-Master, but it won't do that unless you tell it to. Even if your document pages started with None instead of A-Master, and you applied A-Master to 6-9 instead of making a B-Master, they still won't change back to None just because you apply A-Master to 1-4. I can't imagine how fouled-up things would get if master pages just assigned themselves without me telling them to.

Maybe I missed the meaning of your question, so I hope you'll come back and clarify it for me.

• 4. Re: Indesign doesn’t remember masterpages setting
                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

arjun2 wrote:

what if i don't want any master to be applied to it?

Apply the master page called [None] at the top of the panel. That page cannot be edited and contains only the margin settings you established at document setup.