3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2012 2:51 PM by Jacob Bugge

CS5 Manually Tracing

WidmarkRob

I haven't quite mastered the pen tool yet, but… I'm coming along just fine.

I have this raster image I would like to vectorize, I have just started tracing… I know I could probably just experiment with it and hit control-Z a bunch of times until I figured out, but… I thought I would ask anyway, maybe somebody could give me some tips about tracing with the pen tool.

My Stroke is .25

I haven't figured out how to change the color of my paths, that's why they are green.

is it possible to select the highlighted anchor point on the right & create a path/stroke to the highlighted anchor point on the left?

anchor points.jpg

• 1. Re: CS5 Manually Tracing
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

The highlight for the path tool is related to the layer color and each layer comes with it own color.

You can change the color of the layer double clicking a non active part of that layer in the layers panel.

Like this

Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 12.41.48 AM.png

Double click the color square and you get a picker pick a color

Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 12.41.57 AM.png

Layers can have any color and so can sublayers and that would be the only waay to control the color

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 Manually Tracing
            WidmarkRob Level 1

Good Stuff, good to know…

Thank you

• 3. Re: CS5 Manually Tracing
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Rob,

A few of the things that might be worth knowing/realizing:

1) It is best to use the smallest possible number of Anchor Point, placed where they have the greatest effect on the shape, to get the smoothest and cleanest paths; in this connexion it is important to think ahead to enable the right continuation.

2) You may avoid some try and fail, then Undo, when you ClickDrag a new Anchor Point with Handles, by pressing the Spacebar which allows you to move the Anchor Point about while the Handles are freezed.

Others may add other suggestions.