• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do you uninstall CS5.5 when. Upgrading to CS6?

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to cs6 from cs5.5, I was surprised to realize after installation that both versions still exist on my windows 7 64 bit system.  Moreover, I was surprised NOT to see CS5.5 in my control panel even though it is installed and working and Cs6 is present in my control panel programs folder.  How do you uninstall cs5.5 after installing cs6 realizing that none of the cs5.5 programs are available for uninstallation after upgrading to cs6 in the control panel; but both programs are clearly still installed and running.  Since I am using an SSD as my hard drive I need the real estate back on my hard drive after uninstalling cs5.5.  please advise.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Sometimes users will keep older versions of Adobe software for compatability reasons.  If they are working regularly with users who are using older software versions they may need to have an older version installed as well for full compatability.  I know this has been the case with InDesign in the past although this issue has been more greatly reduced in CS6.

In addition users of third-party plug-ins or utlities might also still need access to the old version until the third-party vendor releases

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To confirm you do not see Photoshop CS5.5 listed in your Program & Features control panel?  Did you recently use some type of registry cleaner or utilizing the Adobe Cleanup Utility prior or after installing CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing was used prior to upgrading to CS6 and I saw no instruction from Adobe to advise that the CS5.5 installation must be removed before upgrading to CS6. I thought since I purchased an upgrade that it needed to be installed over the existing CS5.5 installation. The attached JPG shows what the content of the control panel looks like after installation.

I do have a program that will optimize the registry but this never affected the CS5.5 installation. It disappeared from the control panel immediately after installation of CS6. I was not aware that there is any kind of Adobe clean up utility so therefore I did not use one.

I sure hope you can help as I really need the space back on my SSD.

Let me know.

Thanks Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to specifically advise that ...YES, I now do NOT see any CS5.5 installation in my control panel.  It seems the CS6 installation took the place of where the CS5.5 program was in my Programs & Features folder of the control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picture of control panel after CS6 upgrade PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen4758 it is a choice if you wish to remove CS5.5 prior to installing CS6.  I would recommend completing the following steps though to allow you to successfully remove Creative Suite 5.5.

1. Remove Creative Suite 6 and any other Adobe Applications
  2. Run the Adobe Clean up Utility instructions can be found at CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html
  3. Check to see if you have any folders or files remaining in Program Files(x86)/Adobe and Program Files.  You may delete these remaining files.
  4. Reinstall CS6 and enter your qualifying CS5.5 serial number when prompted.

The cleaner tool will attempt to remove the remainder of your Creative Suite but there will likely still be files and folders remaining.  If you use any third-party plug-ins you will want to preserve these prior to deleting unless you have access to their installers.

Also a piece of advice regarding the use of registry optimizers.  I would recommend always making a complete backup of your registry utilizing Regedit prior to it's use.  I have lost track of the number of users who have ended up running into difficulties after using Registery Cleaners/Optimizers.  Creating a backup is a great preventative measure to insure you don't have those difficulties.  Also the backups utilize very little disk space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion and advice Jeff. I was not aware of concerns regarding registry optimizes and Adobe software. I have never had issues with them...but if there is any chance of damage to adobe files then I will uninstall my optimizer too while I am at it. I need to address this when I have at least half a day to address.

It seems odd to me that Adobe sells an upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6 and then advises that you have a choice to uninstall CS5.5 or not. There was no indication during purchase or installation that advised the consumer anything regarding choices. Certainly there was no indication that when completed I would have two master collections suites on the same machine with a choice to delete one.

Is there any reason you can think of why anyone would want or need to have both CS5.5 and CS6 on the same computer? I'm just curious. I am not at all trying to be combative or irritating here. I am genuinely interested if there is a compelling reason that I am not aware of.

jeff, i do Really appreciate your help and timely replies today.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes users will keep older versions of Adobe software for compatability reasons.  If they are working regularly with users who are using older software versions they may need to have an older version installed as well for full compatability.  I know this has been the case with InDesign in the past although this issue has been more greatly reduced in CS6.

In addition users of third-party plug-ins or utlities might also still need access to the old version until the third-party vendor releases and update for plug-in/utility.

Finally there is the learning curve involved with adjusting to the most recent version.  If you are in the middle of a creative project with a looming deadline you may want to continue to use some of the older software until your deadline has passed and you have the bandwidth to become familiar with new workflows and processes in the latest version.

Hope this helps?  This at least is many of the reasons users have given me throughout the years on why they still utilize or wish to retain the older version.  Personally I keep a couple versions back installed but that is mainly for support purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After those reasons I suppose I will keep both versions on my machine a while. I am still new to all of the newer software in the suite. Thanks Jeff for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to purchase cs6 since I have cs5, but cs6 doesn't have picture package and the download for cs5 doesn't work in cs6, so for me having cs5 for picture package and having cs6 for everything else works fine until Adobe realizess that there are a lot of us out there that need and use picture package and they need to come up with another plug in that will work for cs6.

greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm late on this conversation, but have two simple questions.  I need to clear space on my hard drive that contains all of my application programs.  I'm running CS6 and LR4.  Am I correct from what you have advised to others that I can uninstall all previous versions of PS and LR?  Also, the initial downloads prior to installation reside in my "download" folder.  Can they be deleted as well including the CS6 download?  My apologies for such elementary inquiries but I have no clue whatsoever!  Thanks for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can remove the older versions.  Although please review the answer offered in message #7 to verify that you do not have a need for the older version.

As for removing the downloaded install files you can delete those although I would recommend making a local back up first.  This way you have the install files available to you even if you don't have Internet access or you simply do not wish to wait for the download to complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Gil Mitchell

Gil's Inc.

<Removed by Moderator>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can keeping the older version on your machine (in my case, a MacBook Pro) cause the machine to be slow/sluggish? Mine has been rather sluggish for the last few months, and it seems like I noticed the change around the time I did the CS6 install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No unless your hard drive is full.  If so it is not the storage of the install files but rather the general issue of not having sufficient disk space which would be causing the slow performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the removal tool and after it said that it had succefully removed after I close and restarted as a just in case and everything is still there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you actually need to do is uninstall CS6, Reinstall CS5.5, Remove CS5.5 Then reinstall CS6. Long and annoying I know but it does then remove CS5.5 files correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is bad programming at its worst!  Are you kidding?  The installer for CS6 should ask if the user wants to remove CS5 before proceeding.  It doesn't.  Now the only way to get rid of CS5 is to uniinstall the new version, reinstall the old version, uninstall the old version, then reinstall the new version!  Un*(&^ing believable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2012 Oct 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that Adobe has failed badly by advising that you cannot uninstall CS5.5 after the install of CS6.

I was shocked that it did not remove it but assumed I could uninstall afterwards but there are no uninstall options in control panel for CS5.5.

So Adobe, what am I supposed to do?  Uninstall everything and then reinstall CS6?  That is just not on.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Adobe's software engineers.  This is terible programming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if the uninstall tool for CS5.1 is still showing in the Programs & Features listing, is it safe to use it to remove CS5 without the steps listed above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamullinstx the intructions given above were for Steven4758 who did not have an entry in his Programs and Features control panel to remove Creative Suite 5.5.  So please utilize the normal uninstall method if you have it available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2012 Oct 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have no uninstall options available for CS5.5.  What am I supposed to do to uninstall it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not be the popular answer, but i remove the older version from the application list. And i go into the file system, remove anything from there. And lastly, visit the registry and remove it from there.

May be extreme, but i've never had any issues upgrading. So i must be doing something right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines