Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player Keeps Asking to Update

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have posted this question before, but after supplying much additional information, I haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks.

You can view the previous thread here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4563117#4563117

I am still bothered by this problem of having the Windows 7 security shield icon flashing constantly. When I click on the icon I am asked if I want to install the Flash update. I choose no, it goes away, but then 5 min. later I get the same flashing icon with Flash asking to update.

The problem is the latest Flash breaks Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking so I had to revert back to version 10.3 of Flash. You can read the whole saga in the previous message.

A solution to this problem would be very nice.

Barry.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

It's possible that another application/utility is requiring a higher level version, prompting the cab installer to be downloaded.  For the root problem (dragon naturally speaking crashes) you might want to try upgrading to 11.3.300.268, released today, to see if you still encounter the crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never responded to my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I guess your last question was if the "global settings manager" has updates disabled.

Yes. If you look at the screenshots earlier in my original thread you see that global settings/advanced has updates disabled.

The Web pages you referred to are from an older or newer version of Flash - they don't correspond to the setup pages I have. The only setting I have for "disabling updates" is in global settings. The user settings has nothing. See my earlier thread for screen shots of both user and global settings.

Thanks,

Barry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for that; yes, you had already posted that information.

But unfortunately I do not know where these update requests are coming from; I do not see these on my Windows 7 system.

Hopefully Chris or someone else from Adobe can have another look at this; I am out of ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also hope that someone from Adobe will look into this a little more.

Chris asked one or two questions.

Thank you for your help.

Barry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing here.

In the screenshot that you posted in the other thread, the program location is pointing to: http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

Prompting to download from this site can happen if any embedded video, that you view, specifically ask for a higher Flash Player version. Does this pop-up come only when you view a certain web page? For example, when you view the site that you mentioned.

Yesterday I downgraded Flash Player to 10.3 on Windows 7. I didn't face this issue. However, I didn't check with the website that you mentioned.

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

It pops up just about any time – even within a few seconds after a reboot.

If I get rid of some file, such as the swflash.cab file, can I prevent it from ever asking to upgrade?

Barry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that another application/utility is requiring a higher level version, prompting the cab installer to be downloaded.  For the root problem (dragon naturally speaking crashes) you might want to try upgrading to 11.3.300.268, released today, to see if you still encounter the crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

Very doubtful that another application requires flash. Firefox (newest version) should be the only thing I use that requires flash.

It is good to see a new version. Do you know if this specifically addresses the Dragon Naturally Speaking issue? I hate to be the guinea pig – it takes too long to be installing and uninstalling software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines