Sounds like a problem with the screen not getting redrawn. Just a zoom-in/zoom-out should force a redraw and show the correct selection state.
You must have installed or update some software right before this happened because it sounds to me like a software conflict or a hardware isssue.
Thanks guys. It's definitely not the screen refresh problem since we've tried that. So far the preference reset has worked...I'm going to give it a few more days to see if it sticks. Otherwise, you may be right Wade - although the only thing that got upgraded on these computers is the Adobe Creative Suite (from 3 to 4)!
Seattle User wrote:
...although the only thing that got upgraded on these computers is the Adobe Creative Suite (from 3 to 4)!
There you go... there's your problem!
Well, the problem cropped up again on the computer where I reset the preferences. That fix lasted all of half a business day! Still looking for a fix, as I can't imagine upgrading from CS3 to CS4 would have caused this unless it's an inherent bug in CS4 (but I haven't seen this bug mentioned anywhere else...).
Try creating a new user and log into that and see if you have problem in the new user ccount.
Wade, unfortunately I don't think it's worth the time doing that since the issue is occuring on another user's computer under a completely different account. It appears to be a problem outside the profile itself. Could it be a video card or driver issue?
I'm also having this issue. It's not a problem with redrawing because when I select another object and try to "divide objects below" it tells me I have more than one object selected. If I close and reopen the file, it works fine. Any ideas how I can deselect my last object without having to close/reopen?
Seattle User, others,
Some other applications may disturb and confuse Illy.
The usual suspects include:
Some Firefox Add-ons,
You may try to close down these, or just all other (non Adobe) applications and see whether it helps; you may then open them one by one to find the guilty one(s).
I shut down ever non-essential operation and it didn't help. It seems like it has something to do with the fact that I'm dividing objects below.
Been seeing this problem for years, since CS4, currently working in CS6.
It happens when you draw a selection box over an object containing a clipping mask and then try to deselect the object by drawing another selection box. That just selects an object inside the clipping mask, but you can't deselect that object by clicking off of it. You have to draw another selection box reselecting everything you just deselected, then click off of it. Or alternately, resize the offending object, hit Cmd+Z and THEN click off of it. I dunno whether this is a feature or bug, but anyhow it's a pain in packaging design where we use a lot of clipping masks.
I love how everyone who has never had this problem tells you to trash your preferences or quit other applications or reinstall something though, you guys are a great help!
It's more than just clipping masks. I too have seen this on and off for years -- since CS2 at least. Mostly in files with no clipping mask anywhere. If I ever do manage to find a common theme in these files I will be SO happy...
The easiest way I've found to get rid of it (at least temporarily) is to make a small box (or other object, it doesn't matter). Select the box and the problem object (clicking again to make the problem object the ancor, so it doesn't move), then center one on the other. Nine-and-a-half times out of ten you will then be able to deselect all and get rid of your box without closing the program, or resetting preferences, etc.
I kept running into that problem from time to time (different versions Illustrator, even different computers, Mac, PC) Finally, closing Firefox did the job.
Same problem here.
The bug seems to be moving comfortably with us through time.
But what worked for me, was apply a clipping mask to the stubborn object in question. (draw an outline rectangle on the object, right click , apply clipping mask)
That made it finally deselect it for me.
Hope this helped some of you (and more) out.
Having this issue in CC2014