• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jump to hide slides

Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi !

In PowerPoint i can hide slide and jump to it from other slides.

In Captivate i can hide slide, but .... oops can't jump to it from other slides?

For example , i have slide 1 with button  and slide 2.

I need come to slide 2 ONLY click slide 1 button. It's branching.

How can i to do it? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI there

As you have seen, if you hide a slide in Captivate, it's not like hiding one in PowerPoint. Hidden slides aren't produced in the Captivate output, so you cannot jump to them.

If you want a slide available in Captivate but only seen by a jump, you will need to use Variables and Advanced Actions to prevent the user from casually browsing to the slide. Upon attempting to enter the slide, an Advanced Action would check the variable to see if entering is allowed. If so, the slide is viewed. If not, a different slide is presented.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 28, 2012 Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Please, could you publish simple example?

I am not a programming man. This script work is enigma for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a programmer either, but Advanced actions and variables are not the 'real stuff', lot easier to handle but also less powerful. My blog is dedicated mostly to those advanced actions.

If you could explain bit more detailed, or confirm what I understood from your post, I'll try to explain step by step:

• If the user is on slide 1, but doesn't click the button, he has to be navigated to slide 3
  • if the user is on slide 1, but does click a button, he has to be navigated to slide 2
  • if the user gets to slide 2 because of the button, afterwards he continues to slide 3

You will have to turn off the playbar, because the Next button on the playbar will always go to the physically next slide. To achieve this, use the On Enter action for slide 1 and Assign the value 0 to the system variable cpCmndShowPlaybar (that variable is available in the dropdown list after you choose Assign).

If my description is correct, you do not need advanced actions nor variables. Just this:

1. Set the On Exit action for the slide to 'Go to Next Slide', or to 'Continue'; this can be done in the Actions accordion of the Properties panel for that slide
  2. Set the On Success action for the button to 'Jump to Slide 3';

FYI: here are two articles where I introduced using variables:

Using power of variables without advanced actions

Unleashing power of variables with advanced actions

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? The playbar MUST be turned off?

I ask in jest, because in the example I cited (Where I said the store is a couple of blocks down the street and I didn't grab the hand and say "let me lead you to it") I said that one could create a variable, set the variable then create an Advanced Action to check the value of the variable and only allow entry to the slide if the variable contains a value that allows entry.

In that case I should not need to turn off the playbar, no? Because the only way I can view the slide is if the variable is set to the expected value. Any other attempt should navigate me to the slide beyond that slide.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is correct, but the user will see on the playbar that a slide was skipped, on the progress bar. If that doesn't matter, this is a perfect solution indeed.

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious if there is an advantage to turning off the Playbar by setting the variable as opposed to doing it through Themes, Skin Editor, and unchecking Show Playback Control?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off the playbar via the Skin Editor means that your project will not be published with a playbar at all.

Using the variable means you can control whether or not (and when) the published playbar is visible to the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's what I thought I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources