14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2012 5:16 PM by David__B RSS

Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error

Nanda_KP Community Member

hello,

Using CS6 Encore

I have created H.264 files (.264, .264.Stereo1) for a 1:04hr sequence using Matrox

- 1920x1080p 23.98fps

- both 27.0 and 30.0 target data rate, Constant Bit Rate CABAC, H.264 level of 4.1

and when I try to build a Bluray image using them, the build fails with the message:

EncoreCS6_error.png

Error: "invalid format", Code: "14", Note: "Bits per Sample of LPCM is illegal. 32"

I first got this error using target data rate of 30 (default) - then I dropped it to 27.0 and still got the error.

I then tested with a 1min H.264 file created using the same above settings and the image was successfully created.

In CS5.5, when I had similar errors, I dropped the target data rate to 27.0/27.1 and the build would complete without errors.

I can't find any discussion of the above error on the web or on these forums - perhaps my search terms were not good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was able to successfully build another 1hr blu-ray image with default settings (target data rate 30) a few days back.

In both successful and unsuccessful cases,the source sequence is a 1920x1080i 29.97fps Matrox AVI file, which I convert to 1920x1080p 23.98 fps in AME using Matrox to create the .264/.264.Stereo1 files, which I then import into CS6 Encore and create the image.

Encore CS5.5 was a pain in that it would hang on source files larger than 2GB - I came across a Adobe forum/support thread suggesting using the workaround of importing to the Encore timeline files <= 2GB in size.

-Nanda

-Nanda

• 1. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error
          JSS1138 Community Member

My best guess on this one, give the specifics of the error message, is that you're trying to write LPCM audio to disk that isn't Blu-ray legal.

Acceptable bit-depths for LPCM audio are 16, 20 and 24.  It looks like your LPCM audio is 32.

• 2. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error

hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick response.

This is what I have for Video and Audio settings in the Export dialog to AME - this is for a 1min clip which was successfully built. I have never modified Audio sample rate from 24-bit Stereo.

AME_Export_settings_audio.png AME_Export_settings_video.png

The strange part is that the 1min clip was built successfully, but the 1hr one fails - with the exact same settings as that of the 1min clip.

• 3. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error

Also to add:

As per this thread, my settings above are 'legal'

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/622722?start=0&tstart=0

-Nanda

• 4. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error
                Ramesh_Encore Adobe Employee

Did you try looking at the property of the file in question? Sometimes, depending on the file content, the encoding process might overshoot the assigned bit values for bitrate or sample rate etc. For 1 min clip, the content might not require that high bit values but it might be true for 1 hour movie file.

-Ramesh.

• 5. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error

Could you guide me a little on how to do this? Should use 3rd party tools like MediaInfo or can I look up the properties of the .264/.264.Stereo1 files using AME/PPro CS6?

Fact is, I'm going about create the .264/.264.Stereo1 in AME and building the bluray image/disk in Encore, exactly the same way in both CS5.5 and CS6 and I've created the images successfully in the past, with the same settings.

The only issue I had in CS5.5 was I couldn't build an image when the Target Data Rate was at 30 - a lesson for me - although as per Matrox documentation and bluray specs, 30 is valid. When I dropped the rate to 27, I was able to successfully build the image.

On another thread, I read about starting Encore as Administrator - that also doesn't work.

-Nanda

• 6. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error
                    Ramesh_Encore Adobe Employee

i think MediaInfo should be good for this.

-Ramesh.

• 7. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error

Thanks Ramesh.

Both the 1min and the 1hr .Stereo1 WAV files show the same 32-bit bit depth as per MediaInfo.

General

Complete name                            : R:\Plano_Jul20_2012_264.stereo1.wav

Format                                   : Wave

File size                                : 1.30 GiB

Duration                                 : 1h 0mn

Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant

Overall bit rate                         : 3 072 Kbps

Audio

ID                                       : 0

Format                                   : PCM

Format settings, Endianness              : Little

Codec ID                                 : 1

Duration                                 : 1h 0mn

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 3 072 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                                : 32 bits

Stream size                              : 1.30 GiB (100%)

General

Complete name                            : R:\Plano_Jul20_2012_1min_264.stereo1.wav

Format                                   : Wave

File size                                : 22.0 MiB

Duration                                 : 1mn 0s

Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant

Overall bit rate                         : 3 073 Kbps

Audio

ID                                       : 0

Format                                   : PCM

Format settings, Endianness              : Little

Codec ID                                 : 1

Duration                                 : 1mn 0s

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 3 072 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                                : 32 bits

Stream size                              : 22.0 MiB (100%)

• 8. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error
                        John T Smith CommunityMVP

Hmm... I did not save a link to my notes file, so not 100% sure about this, but I *think* I remember a discussion of big-vs-little endian sound... and problems with one of them

You might do a forum search for "little endian" (without the " ") marks to see what results

• 9. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error
                          JSS1138 Community Member
                          Both the 1min and the 1hr .Stereo1 WAV files show the same 32-bit bit depth as per MediaInfo.

Odd.  You'll probably have to find a way to fix that.  Maybe open the .wav in Audition and resave, making sure it's at 16, 20 or 24.

• 10. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error

Thanks Jim - I found something odd in Audition CS6

The .problem .wav file has no 'content' in it - i.e no audio - it is 1.3GB but there is no audio when played!!

The waveform is flat.

I will explore some more and update.

I wonder why there is no audio captured.

• 11. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error
                              JSS1138 Community Member

Well, there certainly does seem to be something wrong with that file.

Try brining it into PP as well.

• 12. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error

Update:

Tried the Blu-ray image build using 24-bit audio bit-depth - that too failed.

Called Adobe Support - they had me delete the Encore cache at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Encore\6.0, import the files into a new project and test - this too failed :-)

Waiting for next level support to contact me

• 13. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error

Finally got Adobe Support to remote connect to my system and the problem was resolved when in Encore, on the Build tab, the .Stereo1 file (from AME) is left with Bluray Transcode Status=Untranscoded and Bluray Transcode Settings=Automatic.

If I do a Locate Transcoded File for the .Stereo1 file and I pick the same .Stereo1 file as I used to in CS5.5 - the Bluray Transcode Status value changes to Transcoded and then the Build fails.

Adobe Support suggested to leave it at Untranscoded and Automatic.

• 14. Re: Blu-ray image build fails with LPCM error
                                    David__B Employee Hosts

The fact that this solution worked to me indicates that the audio file was out of spec (despite the target settings appearing to be set within spec in Matrox). The data provided by MediaInfo seems to validate this. Despite setting the bit depth to 24-bit the file seemed to be detected as 32-bit. Assets that are compliant should be detected as such by Encore. It looks like we have improved the compliance detection between Encore CS5.5 and CS6. I would be curious to get the specs of the .Stereo1 file after it gets transcoded with the Automatic setting. You should be able to manually initiate the transcode process prior to the Build/Burn in Encore. Maybe see what settings are geting applied and see if setting these as the target in Matrox makes any difference? Another interesting test might be to try a bit depth of 16-bit instead of 24-bit in Matrox.

My two cents,

-Dave