Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Adobe Flash Player Install Manager failed to quit" Error when logging off Mac

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my office to the newest version of Flash Player for Mac, and a new problem has cropped up with some of the computers I have installed it on.

When attempting to log off, users are getting the info box "Adobe Flash Player Install Manager failed to Quit" and have to close the window, open the force quit prompts, select the Adobe Flash Player Install Manager, force it to quit, then they can log out. And this is not a one time occurrence. Is there some type of setting that needs to be disabled to prevent this from occurring? I surmise that this is some fault in the Adobe Install Manager residing in the Utilities folder and running at launch, but if that's there to keep track of when new updates are available, I'd like to not disable it on all the machines. Can someone elucidate me as to what the problem is with the program?

Thanks,

JYH

Screen Shot 2012-07-20 at 4.37.57 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Installing Flash Player forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jayhash,

We're seeing this as well.  I started a discussion on the MacEnterprise ListServ:

http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1207&L=macenterprise&T=0&O=D&P=255547

I contacted Adobe under our Gold support plan but didn't get a call back.  With a few more people reporting it I feel more confident calling back.

- Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also try filing a bug report at https://bugbase.adobe.com/

Post the bug URL back here in the forum, so other users can vote on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jayhash and Pat Willener,

I've submitted a bug to Adobe's bugbase, number 3295751.  Vote early and vote often to hopefully raise the visibility of this bug.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3295751

- Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Partick and Jayhash, thanks for bringing this to our attention and adding this bug.  I'm going to ping our installer engineering team and I'll let you know what they have to say.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris.  Could you ask them a few questions for me?

- Is the Mac silent updater intended to function without a user logged in?  In theory could I install FP 11.3 on a Mac, restart it (to load the LaunchDaemon), leave it at the login window for a year, log in, and have a current version of FP?

- The Adobe Flash Player 11.3 Administration Guide says the following:

"If background updates are enabled, the task or LaunchDaemon check for an update once every 24 hours. However, if no network or internet connection is available at the time of the check, the check occurs again every hour until a connection is detected. After the next successful check, another check does not occur for 24 hours."

The launch interval in /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.fpsaud.plist is listed as:

<key>StartInterval</key>

<integer>3600</integer>

StartIntervals are expressed in seconds, so 3600s / 60 s/m = 60m.  In other words, the updater is checking every 60 minutes.  Is this intentional?  Every 24 hours would be a StartInterval of 86400.

Thanks,

- Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has evaluated and reproduced this bug and says the following:

> Hi,

>

> Thank you very much for your report. We already reproduced

> the issue with the latest FP version(11.3.300.268). It is

> appreciated that anyone who encounters this problem give it

> a vote. We will adjust its priority accordingly.

The priority of the bug was decreased from 3 ("High") to 2 ("Medium").

- Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

I changed the priority of the bug back to 3.  I'm also clarifying the status and will let you know more asap.

As for the behavior, if it's similar to Windows (I'll double check) then yes, this should work without a user logged in.  In addition, on Windows the service starts up every hour, but will immediately shut down and will only go out to the net once per day.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Thanks for the update.

- Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Chris,

Flash Player 11.4 is now out and claims to fix the issues noted in this thread.  Can you confirm this and confirm that FP should be updating while noone is logged in?

Thanks,

- Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines