Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cache-Control and Accept-Encoding support in Adobe AIR HTML Component

Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am evaluating Adobe AIR's HTML component and trying to figure out what is supported.

I built the AIR app and had it point to www.google.com

I notice that the requests to fetch JS,CSS from Adobe AIR do not include Accept-Encoding: gzip header.

Does Adobe AIR's HTML Component support Accept-Encoding : gzip header ?

I also noticed that even though the content served with far futures expiry, i.e. has Cache-Control: maxage={value} subsequent requests are being made and content is not served from the browser's cache.

I observed this accross the app restarts.

Can someone please clarify support of the two above Http headers ?

Thank you.

-Prashant

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

If you want this bug fixed, please vote for it here : https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3301204

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the screenshot of Charles which captures request to the goolge's logo that is being sent again even though it had max-age of 365 days in the previous  response. Observe the two requests which got a 304 respone, I expected the GET request to the logo to be not made at all and content be served from the browser' cache.

GoogleLogoRequestSentAgain.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to see if someone who's familiar with the webkit portion of AIR can respond.  Gzip should be supported from AIR 2.03 forward (http://blogs.adobe.com/simplicity/2010/08/an-update-on-http-content-encoding-in-air-applications.htm...).

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking time to look into this.

Yes, GZip in Content-Encoding header seems to be passed when used AIR 3.

Setting useCache does not have impact on the behavior i originally reported.  When the AIR application restarts HTTP requests whose responses have Cache-Control : maxage headers are re-requested. If these requests had returned Last-Modified header the re-requests are conditional GETs and get 304. But even making these conditional GET requests is unneccessary and the AIR application startup experience will be better without them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind entering this as a bug over at bugbase.adobe.com?  Please post back with the bug number and I'll forward along internally.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug Number : 3301204

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want this bug fixed, please vote for it here : https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3301204

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

There has been no action on the bug (3301204) i logged regarding this. Can you please check its status.

Our application startup times are affected by this, which is leading to bad end user experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Prashant,

I've pinged the team to see if they can prioritize this and take a look.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines