4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2012 12:10 AM by iulia_weingold RSS

Segoe UI Light does not work in Fireworks CS5.1

iulia_weingold Community Member

Hi all,

I have the following problem: From all Segoe fonts available on my computer, only 3 appear in the Fireworks font list. I need to use Segoe UI Light, but it's not available, though it is installed on my machine. Does anybody have any ideea how to fix this? I don't think that this is an OS problem. Though I do have Windows XP on my machine, other coleagues of mine who have Vista and Windows 7 have experienced the same problem. Thank you in advance! 

• 1. Re: Segoe UI Light does not work in Fireworks CS5.1
          groove25 Community Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you checked the font's style menu (or whatever it's called)?

style list.png

Also, is the missing font available to you in other Adobe CS apps?

• 2. Re: Segoe UI Light does not work in Fireworks CS5.1

Hi groove25,

What happens is that: I have to modify some files created by somebody else, who has this font (Segoe UI Light) available in Fireworks. So when I open one of these files and I select the text written with Segoe UI Light, both lists are empty: the font, and font style. I also have Photoshop CS5.1 on my machine and the problem is replicated there: only three Segoe fonts are available. The Segoe UI  Light works fine in all Office applications on my computer. Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Segoe UI Light does not work in Fireworks CS5.1
              groove25 Community Member

I'm more of a Mac user and am not familiar with the Segoe UI typeface or how it's used in Windows systems, but here are a few ideas:

• Where is Segoe UI Light installed on your system? Is it a system font, or a Microsoft Office font? If the latter is the case, perhaps the font could be moved into a system font folder instead, for use with other applications. (If you move fonts into a system folder, you may want to restart your computer immediately afterward.)
              • Do you use a font management application, like Linotype FontExplorerX or Suitcase Fusion? If so, check that Segoe UI Light is activated. Also, look for any preferences regarding font requests within the font manager. If there is a list of applications for which font requests are allowed, add Fireworks to that list.

If this doesn't help, can you possibly compare notes with the person sending you the files? Maybe they'd have some insight.

Incidentally, InDesign and Illustrator used to have (and may still have) a Fonts folder that one could place troublesome fonts inside, so that they would appear in the application's font menu. But Photoshop and Fireworks have never had that, as far as I know.

• 4. Re: Segoe UI Light does not work in Fireworks CS5.1

Hi there,

I think I discovered what the problem was. I don't know why this happens. When I open a Fireworks PNG file, it displays a message of unmatching fonts or something like that. When I select the corresponding text element, it is not able to read the font, or font style. But then, if I select manually the Segoe UI from the font list and then set the style to Light, it works fine. Yesterday, because of the error at the beginning and the fact that it didn't read the font, I thought the Segoe UI Light was not working at all in Fireworks, but it does. The same happens in Photoshop. Thank you so much for your help!