• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it okay if you run software off of an external hard drive?

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With purchased Adobe products I know that it's best practice to install the software on your internal hard drive due to various registry files. I'm running low on hard drive space and wanted to know if these cloud apps would run with less problems than before off of an external 2.0 usb hard drive? I'm on Windows 7. Thanks!

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

You can customize the install location to utilize your external hard drive.  There will still be shared resources installed on your primary Windows drive however.  Is there anything else which can be removed from your internal hard drive besides trying to customize the install location?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can customize the install location to utilize your external hard drive.  There will still be shared resources installed on your primary Windows drive however.  Is there anything else which can be removed from your internal hard drive besides trying to customize the install location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have CS5.5 Design Premium installed which I could remove completely along with InDesign CS4. On a related note, to deactive the software before I install the Cloud programs are these the correct steps?

1. Make sure the computer that has the software installed is connected to the Internet.
  2. Choose Help > Deactivate in the product you wish to deactivate.  If you have a suite then choosing one of the products will Deactivate the entire suite.
  3. Select Deactivate Permanently

If I choose Deactivate Permanently can I reinstall at a later date? Also, do I uninstall the software with the Add/Remove built into Windows 7? Should I then run the Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool before I sign up for Adobe Cloud?

Thanks again, I appreciate the help, I just want to do this all correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The steps you listed for deactivating are correct LuisRM.  As a rule of thumb I typically use external drives to store things like documents, pictures, videos, and backups.  I try to typically have the applications I use installed internally.  You should be ok with customizing the location but do keep in mind that your external hard drive will need to be connected whenever you want to use the applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the email, Jeff.
I spent an hour on the phone with Support this afternoon and asked the question every way I could think of, and the answer was ALWAYS that Creative Cloud applications MUST reside on C:. Perhaps the App Manager, on initial start, could point this out - I'm sure I'm not alone. And, the UI for it is very muted. I didn't even SEE the Preferences dropdown at first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines