21 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2012 5:38 AM by OldBob1957 RSS

asymmetrical strokes

MarioMari Community Member

Is it possible to create asymmetrically Stroke in Illustartor?

I have to make some maps, which later will still be decorated in Illustrator. I'm thinking of choosing the tool to work. I know I can create any patterns stroks, but this method in the case of maps is not easy to manage.

The most suitable method seems to me the option to impose on the path of many stroke using the transform palette in appearance.

The problem I have, however, is that the options do not work tranform the only path to the page.

Is there any extension that allows you to perform illustartora offset path eg - 1mm or 1% from the axis of the path?

path.png

Regards!

• 1. Re: asymmetrical strokes
          Monika Gause MVP

You can use the width tool to offset your path in one direction.

You could also create brushes to make these lines.

• 2. Re: asymmetrical strokes
            Jacob Bugge MVP

Mariusz,

There are different options, depending on the actual path, and version.

Especially in connexion with simple paths like the one to the right, or a slight offset as described, an Art Brush would be obvious.

• 3. Re: asymmetrical strokes
              JETalmage Community Member

...any extension that allows you to...offset path...from the axis of the path?

Don't know what "axis of the path" means. If you mean parallel to the path, that's what Offset Path effect does.

All the examples shown in your post can be done with Pattern Brushes, Art Bushes, and/or multiple Appearances.

JET

• 4. Re: asymmetrical strokes

Thank you for your response.

Theoretically, you have the right ... in practice, still do not see a way to create it. : (

art brush.png

Painting tools are not suitable for creating geometric lines.

Offset path - creates a retraction symmetrically. How to make asymmetrical?

Such as to create such a path?

stroke.png stroke-offset.png

Best Regards

• 5. Re: asymmetrical strokes
                  Jacob Bugge MVP

Mariusz,

Brushes dislike corner points; sometimes you can get away with changing them to small roundings.

Offset Path creates symmetrical offsets for open paths; it is possible to Object>Expand Appearance and delete the unwanted parts by cutting at the relevant corners with the Scissors Tool.

• 6. Re: asymmetrical strokes
                    medicineheads.no Community Member

Not quite shure if I understand your problems with "creates a retraction symmetrically. How to make asymmetrical?"

Anyway - you can assign assymetrical lines to closed paths but not to lines. The offset path do however create a asymmetrical line in the sense that it is "paralell" to the first line

inside_outside_stroke.png

Menu: >Object >path >offet path

offset_path.png

Or perhaps this is a help? There are three lineson top of each other, cloned on to different layers to make it easier to edit

patterned_lines.png

• 7. Re: asymmetrical strokes
                      Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

You can sort of do it use two or more strokes and the width tool to alter one side of one or more of the strokes for an path make a graphic style of that path and apply to other paths

like such, it has limitations that I have not found a work around for and the axis is actually the center of the total width of the stroke.

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 12.57.54 PM.png

• 8. Re: asymmetrical strokes

Thanks for the tips but Techniques that you show yourself already well known.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/asymmetrical.

Offset Path creates symmetrical offsets for open paths; it is possible to Object>Expand Appearance and delete the unwanted parts by cutting at the relevant corners with the Scissors Tool.

Try this method, we draw a map with different routes and lines that are shown.

Creating paths and then expand and modify the way it is not reasonable in the case of maps. Too much lost time and are assigned graphic styles.

map.png

This is the "trick" in Illustrator so that I can do the road on the map. I have problem only with asymmetrical lines like I showed in the first post.

strok for group path.png

I'm interested in asking the offset path, with a negative. In this film you can see this on the example of a program to draw maps and more.

I'm looking and looking, but in Illustrator, you can not create an asymmetric style of Stroke.

So I ask, is there a filter for the illustrator gives the ability to create an asymmetric stroke?

offset minus.png

Reagrds!

• 9. Re: asymmetrical strokes

Sure you can do it if you set using also the gradient stroke tool and manipulating the gradient to be transparent on one end and bringing the two gradient stops to the same point.

Like this if you need a video I will make one.

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 1.22.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 1.24.59 PM.png

• 10. Re: asymmetrical strokes

Thank you for the hint. I'm not afraid of work, I tried this method but there is a problem with the nodes.

node.png

• 11. Re: asymmetrical strokes

Isn't the forum fun?

• 12. Re: asymmetrical strokes

?

• 13. Re: asymmetrical strokes

Let me think about it I think it works but I have to start from scrtch and only use thee gradient stroke. let's see what happens.

• 14. Re: asymmetrical strokes

Thank you for the idea.

The idea of the gradient appears to ciakwy sparwdzę sparwdza but as a very 500 lines. the problem is with the filling.

No one knows the plugin, which adds to the Stroke option to move the unbalanced? That ye seem to be most practical to create roads and paths for the map.

• 15. Re: asymmetrical strokes

This option in Illustrator should not be called "offset path" only "path Outline"

offset patch.png

• 16. Re: asymmetrical strokes

So yousee it for yourself you are asking for geometry that is pprobably not going to happen anytime soon.

Maybe you can see why. In order for this to hapopen you need thick and thin strokes to join and that cannot happen.

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 2.02.50 PM.png

• 17. Re: asymmetrical strokes

I already have a good effect in Illustrator.

In this way, you can create quick roads and paths on the maps of different paths that make up the nice nodes.

strok+for+group+path.png

For happiness I miss the option to "offset path" should act as a shift path that is allowed only in one direction. Not mirror offset! Offset by only a -10 mm or +10 mm from the axis of the path.

Now this option in Illustrator should not be called "offset path" only "path Outline"

offset patch.png

Do you think there is any plugin doing this as an option? that can be added as a parameter for stroke Appearance palette and create a more complex style?

• 18. Re: asymmetrical strokes
                                            Jacob Bugge MVP

Mariusz,

You are confusing Illy by asking her to Offset an open path. For a closed path + is outwards and - is inwards.

You do have the laborious option of expanding the appearance and cutting the offset path at the ends of the relevant part and delete the rest.

• 19. Re: asymmetrical strokes

This only confuses Illustartor. "Offset path" as the name says, is to move the path relative to its parent axis by a distance X or -X. Just the same as the coordinate axes (like in primary school).

But It's not important. I do not count that change thinking illustrator team who created a tool stupid (stupid when the path is open).

I'm asking is there a plugin so that I can use as in other vector programs.

Putting the path of 10 mm from the axis of the style I want to create a path by which I asked in my first post. Do you know that?

P.S.

I appreciate and respect all the answers and try to help.

• 20. Re: asymmetrical strokes
                                                tromboniator Community Member

I don't know if this addresses all your concerns, but simply to offset a repeating pattern from a path may be accomplished with a pattern brush.

1. Create the pattern to be repeated.

2. Drag pattern to Brushes panel, create pattern brush.

3. Drag the brush from the panel to the artboard.

4. At the top of the Layers panel you will find a Group that is the parts of that brush. Click the triangles to disclose all of those parts.

5. At the bottom of the list of those parts is a no-fill/no-stroke rectangle. Click to select it.

6. On the artboard drag that rectangle so that its center point is vertically aligned with where you want the path to be, relative to the brush pattern. Or transform/move the rectangle by the amount of the offset you want.

7. Select the entire brush, including the no-fill/no-stroke rectangle, and opt/alt-drag it onto the original brush in the Brushes panel to replace it, or just drag it to the panel to create a new brush.

8. Apply the brush to any path, and it will have the desired offset.

Offset brush.png

• 21. Re: asymmetrical strokes
                                                  OldBob1957 Community Member

It's a longshot, but there might be something HERE that would help you. At least (they say) it's aimed at cartography.

OB