1 2 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2012 5:04 PM by Zack_Darling RSS

Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

kmgraphic Community Member

This is bad. I upgraded to Mountain Lion and by large I am very happy with it. No problems with Photoshop CS5 (can't afford to upgrade just yet) and Illustrator CS4, all working as expected. BUT... Bridge has completely refused to work and I am panicing as I have to use this virtually on a daily basis.

It will open, but the moment you try to use it, it just crashes. All updates as far as I know are installed and I am desperate. Currently have work sitting and waiting to be done and I am becalmed. Any and all advice urgently needed.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion
          c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

http://forums.adobe.com/community/bridge/general

Boilerplate-text:

Are the applications and OS fully updated and have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, cleaning caches, font validation, etc.)?

• 2. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion
            ftemoto Community Member

Wish I could help, but add me to the getting longer list of people for whom CS5 Bridge is an unusable program with the upgrade to Mountain Lion.    There's a several other thread floating around about this in forums here and elsewhere.    Hope the get a fix soon.

• 3. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Application and OS are all fully updated. I got exhusted reading all the other things I should do. Not that I am lazy by a long shot, but I was hoping that I would find a solution that would not require especially deactivating 3rd party plug-ins, as with Photoshop I have quite a few and which all worked beautifully with Snow Leopard. They are also currently working with ML. Bridge seems to be the only problem. I recently did  cache cleaning and font validation in an attempt to fix another problem non Adobe related, so the only thing I have not done is to the trash my prefs file and deactivate my plug-ins and which I am truthfully loathe to do.

Bridge has always been a source of grief to me though, and there is many a time that it will completely freeze if I am working on really large files (think printing 16'x12' at hi-res) and I have to quit Photoshop, reopen and sometimes actually reboot my pute before it will work again.

Will try the prefs solution first and see what happens before the 3rd party deactivation, which to me would be an absolute last resort.

Thank you

• 4. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Hi ftemoto - well let's hope that we all find a solution very soon as sometimes I just feel to toss in the towel and make cookies or something instead for a living. Not really - that would make me a quitter.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion
                  Curt Y Community Member

ftemoto wrote:

Wish I could help, but add me to the getting longer list of people for whom CS5 Bridge is an unusable program with the upgrade to Mountain Lion.    There's a several other thread floating around about this in forums here and elsewhere.    Hope the get a fix soon.

You are correct that there are quite a few users that have problems with Bridge and Mountain Lion OS.

I hope you two are directing you complaints to Apple to fix the bugs in the OS.  ML is the latest trend to make the OS work well on a phone.

• 6. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

So far I have just chosen the "report" option when it crashes, but since I have done that at least eight times, and who knows if those reports actually ever get to Apple or just disappear off into the ether somewhere, then they should be bombarded with them by now. Checked on my plug-ins, chache and validations. Still nothing doing. Only thing left to try is to reset my Photoshop preferences and based on what I have read here and there, that should not really be necessary to fix this problem? Also disabled Open GL just to see what would happen. Still nothing.

• 7. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

PS - I have often wondered though, re the chicken/egg scenario, is Apple supposed to make sure that Photoshop and its kin are compatible with its OS or is it the developers such as Adobe upon whom the responsibility falls to make sure that their programmes and applications are compatible with the various operating systems? I would seem to me that it was Adobe who should be doing this. Is my thinking incorrect?

I have read many an article and heard many a Photoshop guru say that there needs to be more of a hand in glove co-operative measure in place re these upgrades, as apparently Apple don't always like the developers to know (in their usual cloak and dagger way) what they are coming up with, and yet without the information the developers are hard pressed to provide updates to their own products in a timely manner. 

• 8. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion
                        ftemoto Community Member

Try restarting your computer and then reopening Bridge.   It seems to be working fine for me now that I've done this.   Read it elsewhere.

• 9. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

That was actually the first thing that I did, being the panacea for virtually all computer ills,  but I will do it again. Usually I just "restart" and I have been told that actually shutting down is more complete a reboot. Will of course post if it worked for me or not. Here goes...

• 10. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Restarted - still nothing doing. Crash... crash... crash...

• 11. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion
                              Curt Y Community Member

kmgraphic wrote:

PS - I have often wondered though, re the chicken/egg scenario, is Apple supposed to make sure that Photoshop and its kin are compatible with its OS or is it the developers such as Adobe upon whom the responsibility falls to make sure that their programmes and applications are compatible with the various operating systems? I would seem to me that it was Adobe who should be doing this. Is my thinking incorrect?

I have read many an article and heard many a Photoshop guru say that there needs to be more of a hand in glove co-operative measure in place re these upgrades, as apparently Apple don't always like the developers to know (in their usual cloak and dagger way) what they are coming up with, and yet without the information the developers are hard pressed to provide updates to their own products in a timely manner. 

This is kind of a chicken/egg problem.  Have seen many (exaperated) comments about both Apple and MS that they have been notified of specific bugs with their OS, "but they have not taken any initative to correct them".  Not a computer expert, but it appears that some of the bugs are beyond correction in Adobe as it is how the new OS processes the info that has changed.  Adobe codes it to work with existing and proposed OS, but that effort like you mention only goes so far.

Good luck to all on this, and I would definately do more than just send in a computerized "error" report. I would be contacting Apple help and visiting the Apple user forum so to see how widespsred the problem is.   I have hears that Chris Cox says that the ones they get from MS are practically useless as they do not give enough info to pin the problem down.

• 12. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Spent my life always trying not to offend people (unless riled) and which is silly I know especially in a situ like this one. So I will paint my face blue (Braveheart) take a deep breath and see if I can get any kind of a response from Apple.

All the best.

• 13. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

OK - did some more research and decided to try running OnyX. Post OnyX everything now works including Bridge and better than before! YIPEE!!

• 14. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion
                                    Curt Y Community Member

kmgraphic wrote:

OK - did some more research and decided to try running OnyX. Post OnyX everything now works including Bridge and better than before! YIPEE!!

A Mac user in the Bridge Forum came to the same conclusion.  Not being a Mac user don't know what ONY-X is.

• 15. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion
                                      Noel Carboni Community Member

Looks like some kind of a one-stop fixup tool.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

This is a genre/type of software I normally advise PC folks to beware of.  But I know nothing about this particular product.  It may be very good.

I see some comments that Mountain Lion's Gatekeeper warns people against its use and wants to send it to the trash.

-Noel

• 16. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

I did read as many reviews on it as I could find, and as will always be the case there will always be those whose opinions of anything are not exactly stellar, but the vast majority of reviews, literally 99% of those that I read, raved about it. My Mac (Once a Mac you'll never go back:)) is working like a  Derby winner once more.

To be honest, I know that applications such as Gatekeeper are not always accurate. For example, I work from home for one of the largest health care systems in Florida, and every time I enter the portal I get all sorts of messages asking me if I am sure that this site is safe and that it does not have a certificate, to think twice etc. Were it any other site, I would run screaming in the other direction, but I know that the site is ridiculously safe. Has to be to keep in compliance with HIPAA and all other federal regulations for the healthcare industry.

Sometimes, one just has to take a chance and take a leap of faith and in this case I am very glad that I did.

• 17. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion
                                          Hudechrome Community Member

(Once a Mac you'll never go back:))  (Once a Mac I'll never go back:)).

There, I fixed it for ya.

• 18. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

LOL - but I was actually directing the comment to those who are still using a PC - like MY sister, hint... hint.. who freak out at the thought of having to learn a new operating system and are missing out on so much. The fact that I will never go back is a given.

TTFN and how about fixing my missing font (typeface) list in Mail that I have been whining about on every forum that I can find for over six months but so far not a nibble.

• 19. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

I know. Lots of us here and elsewhere are "still" using PC...like a bunch of folks at Intel, AMD, etc.

I tried Mac, but settled on PC. Nothing against Apple and their OS's. It's a preference, and more than that. it's a necessity.

Good luck finding your answer!

• 20. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

True - and monopolies are never a good thing. It's the competition I think that necessitates the growth or we would all become stagnant.

All the best to you and having found my Bridge solution, I shall persevere in finding my missing typefaces in Mail.

Cheerio!

• 21. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Just to chime in and fuel the debate in ways I probably shouldn't...  I'm a career software engineer and I prefer PC over Mac.

My chief engineer, Bill, with whom I collaborate a lot, prefers Mac.  Our systems (powerful PC workstaion, powerful Mac Pro) happen to be about equally capable, in the ways that matter.  They are also, generally speaking, equally stable.  At some times, the PC is easier to solve problems with, and at other times the Mac offers functionality the PC does not.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both.  We have chosen Windows as our development environment, which he runs on his Mac via virtualization (VMware Fusion).

Notably Bill has avoided upgrading to Lion so far, and won't even consider moving up to Mountain Lion yet.  I have the latest Windows 7 updates, the latest display and other drivers, and latest updates to virtually all the software I use.

At the moment, though it is advertised that Apple adds value by vetting all drivers and other software that goes into its system updates, we are seeing (here on the forum) that more people appear to be having problems with Photoshop CS6 on the Mac.  Unfortunately, Apple leaves Mac users without the ability to seek their own solutions (e.g., downloading updated display drivers).  I suspect this happens whenever something major and new comes out (e.g., a major Photoshop release), then things settle down as the time needed to do the multi-level problem reporting, updates, and re-vetting passes, then OS updates happen.

All I can say is this:  Photoshop CS6 works quite well for me here on this PC workstation.

Apple makes the best tablets, though...  We have an iPad. 

-Noel

• 22. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

To put it in a hopefully not too trite way, there will always be the Pepsi vs Coke, Starbucks vs Dunkin followers, and I do know exactly what you mean. The IT folk when I worked on campus did not like having to deal with Macs at all, and sadly for them, while the rest of the system used PC's, the Media department were all Macs.

I think that the majority of creatives that you speak to will tell you that they use a Mac. My upgrading was somewhat unintentional you might say (too long a story) as I too prefer to wait a while before going that route. I must say though, that I love the integration between my iMac, iPad and iPhone with ML. Again buuut... I do appreciate that those who do not deal with graphics to any large extent would be happier with a PC.

• 23. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Oh... with the exception of an industry standard in my area called Vivien, which is only made for the PC. Soooo sad, and I don't want to run Windows on my Mac even though I could. To stupid to figure that all out.

• 24. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Like your sister?

• 25. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

An impression of how well Apple's new OS appears to like Adobe Photoshop CS6 so far... 

MountainLion_Small.jpg

-Noel

• 27. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

I shoot those babies in sight!

• 28. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

kmgraphic wrote:

I think that the majority of creatives that you speak to will tell you that they use a Mac.

Not to throw yet another monkey wrench, but to the best of my knowledge the PC Photoshop market is larger.

-Noel

• 29. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Yup! Although she is hopeless - pretty close to the person (and I kid you not) who during my first computer class many many years ago when told by the instructor to click on a certain item, literally put her mouse vertically on the monitor and clicked away. I thought that kind of thing only happened in the movies and they almost had to scrape me off the wall in the back because I was trying so hard not to be seen grinning that I put up a pretty good imitation of a coat of paint and just blended into the wall.

I should talk! Done some real dumb stuff myself over the years.

• 30. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Noel:

Love it, love it. This is the best forum. Everyone appears to have a great sense of humour. No anonymous nastiness like you see on so many other forums, just great suggestions and many many smiles. My favourite thing to do other than get final Jeopardy when none of the contestants did? ... laugh! So bring it on guys and gals!

I would fall into the latter.

• 31. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Almost as bad as breaking the computer's cupholder.

• 32. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Hudechrome wrote:

Almost as bad as breaking the computer's cupholder.

Photoshop4.0Disc.jpg

-Noel

• 33. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Oh! That one!

I don't see the ANY key! Wattsamatta you computer?

• 34. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

I have a theme song for you:

"London Bridges Falling Down...."

I assume you are Brit, given the use of TTFN....

• 35. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Hate to admit it, but my first time working in an office with computers, my boss had a key marked "panic." I spent days going from store to store looking for a similar keyboard. OK - so I don't belong to Mensa.

• 36. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

UK Citizen but born in the British West Indies of English parents and educated in the UK.

Jolly good! 

• 37. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

I don't belong to Mensa either. I joined Asnem.

• 38. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion
                                                                                  Community Member

Noel Carboni wrote:

…to the best of my knowledge the PC Photoshop market is larger…

That's a misconception.

According to figures provided by Microsoft and by Adobe, as well as mentioned by Jeff Schewe, the Photoshop market is roughly 50-50 Macintosh and Windows.

Adobe blogger (and former Photoshop Principal Program Manager) John Nack wrote in his blog that the "Creative Suite sales are about equally divided between Mac and Windows, with sales occasionally tipping about 60-40 in favor of the Mac."

What is much larger is the installed base of Windows boxes compared to the Mac installed base.  A big difference is also that the vast majority of Windows machines are "procured" by government entities and large corporations, while Macs tend to be bought by the individual end user.

Incidentally, the Mac is as much of a PC as any Windows machine, for PC stands simply for Personal Computer.

• 39. Re: Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion
                                                                                    Community Member

kmgraphic wrote:

…must say though, that I love the integration between my iMac, iPad and iPhone with ML…

That's what Apple is counting on.  Their entire corporate strategy is directed toward integration with mobile devices.

If you read the Apple discussions boards, Mac Pro users seem to have just about given up on the future of the desktop Mac as a serious computing platform.

1 2 Previous Next