21 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2012 8:59 AM by davidlsmith RSS

LR, Contact sheet, margin set

Søren Langkilde Madsen Community Member

Hi

When i print a contact sheet and have the page option (page number, page info) - then these number and info gets printed right at the border of the paper.

I can't find anywhere that I can set the outer border and get these things a bit in from the very border of the paper.

Can anyone help on this one?

film1183-contactsheet-cut.jpg

• 1. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set
          janelle_f Adobe Employee

under print>layout> there are margin settings for top and bottom .

how to create a contact sheet video tutorial: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-lightroom-4/creating-a-contact-sheet/

Screen-Shot-2012-08-01-at-10.38.13-AM.jpg

janelle

• 2. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set

Hi Janelle

Have seen this video - several times, fast and slow, stop and experimenting along the way. But there's notihing about setting these margins.

I have searched and read a bunch of places. But niether this video or any other place tell me how to set this outer margin. Or if they do I have not been able to catch it?

I've been using Bridge for great many years, but is new in LR. But there must be some LR user somewhere that have made a contactsheet - with some sort of margins?

-- Søren

• 3. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set
              janelle_f Adobe Employee

try looking at my screen shot. see under layout... how it has  margins> then "top" and "bottom". this would alter the top and bottom margins

-janelle

• 5. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set

Thanks for you effort, but it's not the answer to my question, sorry.

Yes, but this does not give a margin for the page options (page info, page number). The sliders you show only gives margin to the pictures. That works OK. But if you want the page info and page number - and want these to have a bit of a margin - really can't find where to set this margin.

• 6. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set

Tried to illustrate.

film1183-contactsheet-cut2.jpg

• 7. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set
                    janelle_f Adobe Employee

ok its slightly confusing on what you are exactly wanting. here there are margins, set away from top and bottom, as well as the sides. photo information. as well as a margin at the bottom for pages and the page information.

Screen-Shot-2012-08-01-at-11.12.43-AM.jpg

janelle

• 8. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set

Hi Janelle

Sorry if I was unclear.

I that you've got the result I'm looking for. But how do you do it. When I drag the Margin Top/Bottom sliders - it only affects the margin between the pictures and the border. The page info still sticks to the border.

It's probably some basic stuff that I'm missing. But where do you set the margin to the page-info?

• 9. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set
                        janelle_f Adobe Employee

the purpose of the resting at the bottom- is to be cut off eventually. if you really need a border i added a thin hairline in the printer settings:

Screen-Shot-2012-08-01-at-11.18.59-AM.jpg

it seems to be the only workaround, unless you want to add in that information your self separately in another application such as PS.

• 10. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set

Sorry, but I still don't understand how you do it?

It is so that ...

A) there is some secret button or click that gives the margin that you showed me in above?

or

B) LR can't produce a contact sheet with this margin. You must edit the generated contact sheet afterwards?

Sorry, that I'm so dense

• 11. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set
                            janelle_f Adobe Employee

well the bottom margin still sits at the bottom ( and i understand you dont like that), but the gray margins that you see are all from the templates, i created one 4x5 contact sheet, or whichever one you choose.

Print> single image/contact sheet > 4x5 contact sheet template>alter your layout margins to you liking, cell spacing, guides >show guides>margins and gutters, page bleed, rulers.

page> page options>page numbers, page info, crop marks (optional)>photo info

thats what i did, but you can alter how you would like.

Screen-Shot-2012-08-01-at-11.35.20-AM.jpg

• 12. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set

If for example I'm using printing via pdf-file printer or jpg file, which would be my preferred - There's no way to trick the printer to sneak in the missing margin.

Here's another sample showing the problem.

Lightroom-film1186img001.jpg

• 13. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set

I have done exactly what you describe and I get this result?

Lightroom-film1186img001-2.jpg

• 14. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set
                                  janelle_f Adobe Employee

ive just printed to both printers here in my office. what are your printer settings? mine prints exactly as my screen looks. can you also attach screen shots like mine, when you are in the print module?

-janelle

• 15. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set

I bit disapointed, It's probably some printer woodoo stuff.

When I tried to choose an Epson printer I got a small margin. Not that I could change it - but it was a tiny bit different from when I used the pdf-printer.

This seem like a bug. Why on earth doesn't this page info, page number get controlled with the rest of the page. It's really big time hacking getting a tiny margin.

• 16. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set

Would have uploaded another sample with the tiny margin, but upload seems to give some problem right now.

My settings are as described above. I use the pdf-printer that comes as part of the CS package. I've browsed through every corner of this print dialog and there's no margin stuff anywhere.

My latest attempt was to use an Epson 3880 printer driver - and print to jpg (an LR option). This gave a tiny margin. But there's nowhere that this margin can be set. The size of this margin seems to shift with different printer drivers.

Well, this is the end of the day where I evaluated LR. The option of making contact sheets was on the pro side. Having used Bridge and InDesign for this job earlier - it seemed very nice that here was a product (LR) that did have this feature. But it not all that cool after all.

Would have been cool to have this feature - working right.

Janelle, thanks for your effort.

-- Søren

ps: is this something that should be reported as a bug - or is it waste of time describing and argumenting that it's an error?

• 17. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set
                                        janelle_f Adobe Employee

hmm im not sure.  pretty frustrating i have to say! ill get someone to look into it who may know a little more behind-the-scenes. thanks Soren for being so patient!

-janelle

• 18. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set

No worries, you was the one with the patience

-- Søren

• 19. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set
                                            Brett N Adobe Employee

The Page Options "Page Numbers" and "Page Info" sit at the Page Margins. This is not the same as the margins for the individual image cells (that you control with Margins under Layout). Instead, this is an attribute of the page/paper preset you are using from your printer. Go down to the Page Setup button in the lower-left. Choose a Paper Size that includes margins (if your printer allows for custom sizes, this will be your best option, but not all printers allow this). Also, make sure you are not using a "Borderless" paper type.

• 20. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set

Hi Brett

This was about the result we reached. You just put more clear.

I've browsed through the printer drivers I have. The pdf-printer does not have anything like setting margins. The Epson 3880 driver have some option, but not much.

To be honest, this margin for page numbers and page info - is not at all at level with everything else related to printing in LR. The fact that you're so limited and it takes this much effort clearly indicates to me that this is a design flaw in LR.

I know that both developers and managers hates re-visiting otherwise working code - but this should be refactored, that for sure

Both, thanks for you help. I can move on - a bit wiser

-- Søren

film1186-cs.jpg

• 21. Re: LR, Contact sheet, margin set
                                                davidlsmith Community Member

I've been frustrated about this bug as well.  Here is my hack that seems to work ok.

Download a printer driver that will support making custom page sizes if you don't already have one.  I am on a PC and I am using the printer driver for the hp LaserJet 1200 series. It just happens that I have this printer installed but you don't need the actual printer physically installed in order to run the printer driver.  In the page setup for this printer, I can specify and save custom dimensions which will be added to the drop down menu of sizes next time I open the page setup.

In the page setup for your fake printer driver, make a custom size that is smaller than an 8.5 x 11 page.  I made mine 8x10.  This custom size essentially becomes your margins.   Export to PDF. 

The page setup options don't seem to be locked to your final printer selection. In other words, in the page setup on the left, you can specify a certain printer and set your custom page size.   When you click the print button in LR you can select a different printer...in my case Primo PDF...but your page size settings will remain in effect

You'll end up with a PDF where the pages are 8x10 in size (or whatever your custom size is).   Now when you  make a physical print of the PDF, your page size will be smaller than the paper size which should keep your page numbers well within the edge of the page. 

It might take some experimenting to get it how you want it.   Hope this helps!