• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Separate CSS for IE and Firefox

Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

older versions of Robohelp generated to separate CSS files in the Wephelp for IE and Firefox. Evidently this feature was dropped somewhen. However I need it now to resolve some specific Firefox problems in a project.

I thought I could add the corrsponding script in the master page that checks for the browser and selects the CSS, but thought I should ask the forum first.. are any solutions for this already known?

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it was RoboHelp 7 where things changed, may even be 6, but since then one CSS should work in all browsers.

Maybe the better starting point is what are the issues between the two browsers that are affecting your output.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

yes Firefox is 99% compatible but smal issues remain. I would prefer to

overwork the CSS style too, but regrattably it is not possible in this

case.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are sure there is no way around OK but sometimes someone knows a solution. I'm not saying I do, just that sometimes someone will pop their head over the parapet with the answer.

It used to be the case that bullets were a pain for me until I found out that Firefox's own CSS had an indent that you could negate without affecting IE. Result, almost the same appearance in both browsers.

I haven't tried it but RoboHelp 10 allows you to write media queries and you can define the browswer. In theory you can have a default style for IE and other browsers but specify a rule that if the browser is Mozilla, the CSS is to be modified.

That's the cheery theory and I don't know the ins and outs of how well it would work in reality. Do let us know if you decide to take the plunge.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I am sure that I could tweak the CSS to work, but in this case the

"main" CSS file must remain unchanged. All we can do is add a modified

alternative file for Firefox.

Media queries are a good idea if they allow for a browser selection,

maby I sort of link a secondary CSS to the first that contains

additional queries directly in the CSS.

Regards,

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This was changed in RH8. If you want to target IE in your css only, you will need a css hack (not recommended!). It would be best to identify the problems and remake the CSS so that you can support all browsers. Normally, all browsers are correct, instead of IE. So instead of fixing FF, you are fixing IE L

Take a look at the following link: <http://dimox.net/personal-css-hacks-for-ie6-ie7-ie8/> http://dimox.net/personal-css-hacks-for-ie6-ie7-ie8/

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI, inserting a conditional comment into the master page workes fine.

In Robohelp I linked the master page to the CSS for Firefox (i.e. the standard CSS page of the project) and then added the CC link to a second CSS file. The CC is only read by IE which thus uses this other CSS file that I copy into the output folder manually (inserting as baggage file should work too).

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp