4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2012 11:02 AM by fhdave RSS

Backward apostrophes

fhdave Community Member

Recently, Illustrator CS5 started setting backward apostrophes in simple possessive nouns. Sometimes, not always. What's going on? Smart punctuation is enabled. Using MacBook Pro, OSX 10.7.4.

Thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: Backward apostrophes
          [Jongware] CommunityMVP

In InDesign the type of quotes is determined by the applied language, as some languages use different ones. It's reasonable to expect that's the same for Illy.(*) Did the default change, either for your entire Illustrator setup or for your current document?

(*) Disclaimer. Making good use of a lot of "reasonable" similarities between Illy and Indy has been proved too daunting for their respective programming teams. If it ain't a Language issue, it must therefore be something else. And we can add another bullet to the "please make the Suite behave suitably!" Nag List.

• 2. Re: Backward apostrophes
            fhdave Community Member

Thanks, Jongware.

I'm only working in English. I've reluctantly stopped expecting reasonable and am now content with fixable.

Dave

• 3. Re: Backward apostrophes
              Larry G. Schneider CommunityMVP

Does it change if you go to File>Document Setup and either check or uncheck Use Typographer's Quotes?

• 4. Re: Backward apostrophes
                fhdave Community Member

No, but your response prompted me to remember that there are (at least) two ways to tell Illustrator what punctuation you want. File>Document Setup>Type Options>Use Typographer's Quotes, as you say, and Type>Smart Punctuation....Yipes. So far the only thing that has worked is to restart the Mac. So convenient.

Thanks,

Dave