hard to say without looking at your code. However, since you mentioned cfqueryparam, maybe you are sending an empty string without specifying null="true" or something like that.
It's possible there's something in my logic that is doing that ... but it was happening to one query that was referring to a value set at the top of the file (via cfqueryparam) and when I removed that cfqueryparam it started to happen to a different query. And, I should add, the queries in question were working fine for years before on a coldfusion MX server. This is a new page in the app, but the queries are all being included from old working template files.
Here's the one that is breaking now:
<cfquery name="CheckCredentials" datasource="#application.crossreg_dsn#">
SELECT [name_first]+' '+[name_last] as name
FROM [CrossReg].[dbo].[People] p
INNER JOIN dbo.Roles r on r.role_id = p.role_id
WHERE uni = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_char" value="#Session.username#">
Session.username is being returned from a CAS authentication system. I've never had troubles with it before.
Restarting tomcat seemed to clear it up. Still, if anyone knows what that error message means ...
It's happening again. And again, restarting tomcat fixed it.
Just to let you know that you are not crazy, I have had the same issue in CF9 (standard Windows install) with SQL Server 2005. I also have not found a solution, and in all cases I have had to remove the <cfqueryparam> tag. Restarting CF (or, alternately, restarting SQL Server) solves the problem temporarily, but after a few days it always comes back.
If you come across a solution, please update this post!
I had the same problem due to a query that errored then all subsequent queries would error as well with this error message
I found this blog post regarding this issue:
I know this is a very old post but maybe this will help someone still experiencing this. I too was having the same issue and as a previous post suggested, it is related to the driver. I am going to assume that the OP is using the built in Microsoft SQL Server driver for the data source. Switching to the more perfomant jTDS driver eliminated these random errors.
P.S. We've since upgraded to CF11 and the issue still persists when using the SQL Server driver.