Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mountain Lion (Mac OSX v10.8) is recommended for Premiere Pro

Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mountain Lion (Mac OS v10.8) upgrade improves performance and stability with Premiere Pro.

Be sure to check for drivers for third-party I/O hardware and such, since such drivers often lag the OS release.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion (v10.8) compatibility FAQ list for all Creative Suite applications: http://adobe.ly/QjoLoM

(update: Here's an article about some issues with AVCHD media on Mac OS X v10.8 (Mountain Lion): http://adobe.ly/PgEnmb )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this.  Nervous about trying it out. Nearly wrapping up a big project so can't afford for there to be a problem now.  LIkely waiting a week or so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Nearly wrapping up a big project so can't afford for there to be a problem now. LIkely waiting a week

That is a VERY good idea!

As Todd said, it is not JUST the Apple update... you need to be sure that any hardware drivers you need are also updated

Example (from the Windows side, where I am) CS6 required many people to upgrade their nVidia graphics driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Mountain Lion Today, everything seems to be working okay, but,  I had already installed 6.01 update for Premiere Pro, but, after Mountain Lion upgrade, Adobe Updater saying that Premiere needs to be updated to 6.01???, I checked About Premiere it shows it is 6.01 --- anyone else find this? 

Will try restarting later and see if it's an indexing issue, but wierd.  Kinda hestitant to install update, did that with Lion and kernel crash was the word for the day.

MacbookPro  i7 2.2ghz Quad 16gb Ram

Mountain Lion 10.8- HDMI connected monitor via Thunderbolt

LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Raid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same experience.  AMA asked to install 6.0.1 again.

In other news, I don't find a single improvement to stabilty or performance.  There is now a new bug where video will stop playing and audio continues.  This is related to the new 5.x CUDA drivers, as this didn't occur with the previous drivers.

This release continues to dissapoint.  Its my sincere beleif that I am better off in 5.5.2, and Adobe should go out of its way to allow for reverse compatibility - even going so far as to create a translator between the two.  I honestly wouldn't care about losing Warp Stablizer or any of the other so called "Feature" improvements.  I am a professional feature film editor that took a chance with CS6 for this film, and it has been an absolutely terrible experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys should try a fresh Adobe install over the new OS update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tclark513 wrote:

I'll go one step further and say: never, ever, EVER upgrade between major releases of the Mac OS.  While their upgrade solution is far better than any existing OS, it can and will cause small annoyances to pop up over time.

Format your drive and re-install from scratch.  Always.  Then re-install all of your applications.

jas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason Van Patten wrote:

tclark513 wrote:

I'll go one step further and say: never, ever, EVER upgrade between major releases of the Mac OS.  While their upgrade solution is far better than any existing OS, it can and will cause small annoyances to pop up over time.

Format your drive and re-install from scratch.  Always.  Then re-install all of your applications.

jas

Even better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll go one step further and say: never, ever, EVER upgrade between major releases of the Mac OS.  While their upgrade solution is far better than any existing OS, it can and will cause small annoyances to pop up over time. Format your drive and re-install from scratch.  Always.  Then re-install all of your applications.

I tend to agree with that. As part of my job I need to use the app on OS 10.8 right away, and I keep extra OS partitions set up just for that. But the USER part of me sticks with 10.7.4 until I'm ready to re-install everything from scratch... which is simetimes a year or more after the new OS comes out.

But that is NOT an official Adobe statement, that's just me... because I never trust full-OS releases when they first come out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the best practices for doing a clean install?  I downloaded ML from the app store, but haven't done anything with it yet.  Thanks for some guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

needles27 wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the best practices for doing a clean install?  I downloaded ML from the app store, but haven't done anything with it yet.  Thanks for some guidance.

Within the .app you downloaded is a file called InstallESD.dmg or something like that.  You need to get a 4G thumb drive and 'burn' that .dmg to it using Disk Utility.  Then reboot your Mac while holding the Option key so that a boot menu pops up.  Choose the thumb drive.  When given the opportunity to run Disk Utility from the installer, do so, and format your internal HDD.  Then go back to the installer and have at it.

Lots of guides online on how to do this.  Just GOOG it, you'll find it easily.

jas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - just got my free upgrade codes from Apple, have downloaded, created an install disc and am ready to go (late 2011 17" MBP with 6770M).

Anyone had any problems with Premiere Pro on ML yet that were not already present on Lion?

Anyone want to testify to Premiere Pro running better on ML than Lion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an article about some issues with AVCHD media on Mac OS X v10.8 (Mountain Lion): http://adobe.ly/PgEnmb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

So far, the ML updgrade did seem to solve the incessant kernel crashes and I've been able to have project going through OpenCL, I actually got through a full edit on a little short without a crash (keeps fingers crossed) but the render out still really slow.  Before ML came out, everything was so unreliable, I couldn't really count on it for anything important.  For Adobe, being able to export 422HQ out, allocating enough ram and having a fast system, even with 422HQ sources takes a tremendous amount of time for simple things (title and scaling a few video clips to a box), I hope you'll have some solutions in that arena coming soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, Premiere Pro has been solid on ML - but alas the MacPro has "reset" 4 times during Lightroom exports - something I've never seen before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Win 7 instead   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lasvideo wrote:

Since we run Windows 7 and Macs side by side I'd have to say that 'Upgrade' is a debatable point   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im sure a lot of my experience in bootsed performance is the fact I went from a 2008 Mac Pro to a top of the line HP Z820. Feels like I went from VW to Ferrari  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ExactImage wrote:

lasvideo wrote:

Since we run Windows 7 and Macs side by side I'd have to say that 'Upgrade' is a debatable point   

Unfortunately that is not the case if your PC's are up to date with the latest hardware. Keep sending those emails to Apple requesting a Mac Pro Refresh. Maybe at some point their focus will change back to Professional clients.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ECBowen wrote:

ExactImage wrote:

lasvideo wrote:

Unfortunately that is not the case if your PC's are up to date with the latest hardware. Keep sending those emails to Apple requesting a Mac Pro Refresh. Maybe at some point their focus will change back to Professional clients.

Eric

ADK

Oh, there are..... but that doesn't mean 'Windows 7' is an upgrade as such    it has just as many problems as ML, just 'different' ones (not al Adobe related).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AndyJenkins39 wrote:

There is now a new bug where video will stop playing and audio continues.  This is related to the new 5.x CUDA drivers, as this didn't occur with the previous drivers.

For what it's worth, that's not due to the new CUDA 5.x drivers as far as I can tell.  My existing CS6 install does the same thing with the pre-5.x drivers.

jas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to hear that CS6 is up for performance and stability improvements.

Upgrading on an editing system (especially one that already works) is a risky move. I used FCP 7 on 10.6.7 for a LONG time, never went to 10.6.8.

I put ML on my personal laptop, but will wait a month or more before putting it on our primary editing machines.

---
Cinematic Video Production, 17+ Years of Excellence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, new to the forum.  I'm on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro i5 8GB RAM using the Creative Cloud, mainly Premiere Pro CS6.  So, last week installed Mountain Lion (probably a mistake) after I read that there were no issues with Premiere.  Well, since then whenever I launch CS6 the purple Premiere art pops up and I get a spinning beach ball every single time and the app doesn't respond.  Worked perfectly before ML install.  I have called Adobe 3 times...no help.  I have done clean installs, cleared preferences, tried on new admin users.  No luck.  I'm not super tech and sure I did something wrong, but if anyone has any words of wisdom, I would love that.  Thank you all.  Let me know if you need nore info on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines