16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 6:15 PM by shockpuppetslc Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

No server info in Manage Sites

golf25radioman Community Member

I'm not sure if my problem (if it is a problem) is related to my CS 5 sites I am using in CS 6 (I upgraded to CS 5.5 then 6).  Using the Manage Sites menu, the window opens and if I highlight a site, click on the edit icon, click on server and there's no server info there (just a little text but no boxers for the info).  In CS 5 I could edit the server, login, password, etc.  Is that supposed to be there?  Alll my sites are that way.  And if I choose "New Site" and click on Server there is no boxes to input data.  Anyone know what's up?

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6
          Nancy O. MVP

I have not experienced this in CS6.  Sounds like an incomplete installation.

By any chance did you download CS6 with Adobe Application Manager (The Creative Cloud app)?  I find Adobe Download Assist works much better.

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6

CS6 was a free upgrade from CS5.5, downloaded from Adobe via their special software (the name escapes at the moment).  The installation went fine, as did the deactivation and uninstall of 5.5.  Working in CS6 has been a small learning curve, mostly layout, position of file windows, etc.  But this was out of the blue.  I occasionally use Fetch to upload files (particularly when updating my message board files - phpBB), and my host has been changing passwords (on their own) recently (I suspect a security issue).  I usually find out when I try to login either via CS6 or Fetch and access is denied.  Without going into the host stuff, I went to Manage Sites in CS6, to move the directory access to deeper in the root to access a file (the host places their CGI files outside the site root directory).  That section of Manage Sites is blank, clicking on Server just has a bit of text describing the window but no fields for info.  I thought, well let me create a New Site and see - same thing.  No server info provisions.

Are you suggesting a reinstall?  The downloaded files have been saved on an external disk.  Now that you mention it, there were three downloads.  One was the CS6 programs, the others were called "xxxxxx.Content.dmg" which were inDesign & Illustrator not Dreamweaver so they're probably not connected to this...they just contained Fonts.

As I said, there's been no other issue other than the learning curve for the CS5.5 - CS6 differences.

Tom

• 3. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6
              Nancy O. MVP

My experience with CS6 has been all good with one slight exception - (F&R on selected text doesn't work as it should.) 

Have a look at this Help article.

http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/cant-select-some-items-site.html

Nancy O.

• 4. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6

Well, that article was dealing with a Windows CS5 app, so I couldn't implement any of the suggestions.  I am on a Mac.

One note...

In the Manage Sites, another oddity which may or may not be connected.  Clicking on Server, even though no fields show to edit, neither does the Cancel or Save button - until you move the cursor down to where they are suppose to be and then they appear...and also disappear when you move past them.

Reinstalling CS6 Dreamweaver, updating using the Help/Updates, changes nothing.  Still have no idea what I'm going to do when I need to edit server/host login info.  I also went to the User/Library/Preferences folder and deleted all the previous CS preference files (don't know why uninstall doesn't get rid of them), and I had an incident of Dreamweaver crashing.  Relaunch went okay but still unable to edit server info.

:::::scratching head:::::

Tom

• 5. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6

Issue is still there, can't use Manage Sites item to edit.  But, I tried something which could shed some light.  I deleted a site listed in Manage Sites, created a new site with the same root file directory.  After opening the site and clicking on Connect To Remote Server it brought up the site in Manage Sites, with a red "x" which I clicked on and the fields for the server opened and I filled them in.  But, I still can't edit sites in Manage Sites' window.  FWIW...

Tom

• 6. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6

Nancy O. wrote:

My experience with CS6 has been all good with one slight exception - (F&R on selected text doesn't work as it should.) 

Have a look at this Help article.

http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/cant-select-some-items-site.html

Nancy O.

As for F&R - - I have found it is much more sensitive, or the recent attempt had a difference I wasn't aware of on the other pages.  I have a site where I put "next event" info, and after the event passes I use F&R to change all the pages it is on to the next event.  It was a bit fussy.  Also, I guess, there's limitations to text?  I had a graphic included in the last and I couldn't use F&R to remove the graphic as well as change the text of the next event.

I too am having pretty good experiences with CS6 except for the above issues with editing site info.  It may be something subtle in the new app, or an issue with previous CS version sites, which doesn't make sense to me.

Tom

• 7. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6
                      Nancy O. MVP

Still looking for anything relevant to your problem.

In the meantime, are you using any Extensions in DW? 

If yes, try disabling them.

Nancy O.

• 8. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6

Yes, I do have extensions. Recently added some for creating menus. I'll give disabling them a try. Thanks.

Tom

• 9. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6
                          Nancy O. MVP

The best I could come up with is this Help article that discuses JavaScript errors in DW. 

Specifically steps 4, 6, 10, 12 and 14.

helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/troubleshoot-javascript-errors-dreamweaver-cs4.html

I hope this helps,

Nancy O.

• 10. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6
                            David_Powers ACP

Just to follow up on Nancy's comments, it doesn't look as though it's related to JavaScript errors. I've been using CS6 in both Windows and Mac, and the Site Management is very similar to CS5.5. The only important differences lie in the Site Management dialog box.

manage_sites_cs6.jpg

When you click the Edit icon, it brings you to the same Site Setup dialog box as in CS5.5. However, it's possible that not all sites were correctly migrated from an older version. If that's the case, they need to be set up again.

• 11. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6

Here's an oddity that I can't explain...  As I mentioned, I think, in a previous post, when clicking on the edit icon the window that came up when clicking on Server was blank except for some text at the top and to close it I had to hover the cursor at the bottom of the page until the "Cancel" / "Save" buttons would appear.  Well, after learning what the layout of that window should be, there is a "+" (also not visible unless you know where to hover the cursor) and clicking on it brings up the proper window for the Server info.  I've been able, using the blind cursor hovering, to edit all my sites' info.  I wouldn't want to guess what's up with the invisible stuff.  Any ideas?

Tom

• 12. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6

David_Powers wrote:

Just to follow up on Nancy's comments, it doesn't look as though it's related to JavaScript errors. I've been using CS6 in both Windows and Mac, and the Site Management is very similar to CS5.5. The only important differences lie in the Site Management dialog box.

manage_sites_cs6.jpg

When you click the Edit icon, it brings you to the same Site Setup dialog box as in CS5.5. However, it's possible that not all sites were correctly migrated from an older version. If that's the case, they need to be set up again.

I've tried resetting one up, same result - as I posted above - invisible buttons until the cursor hovers over them.  I'd guess it does have some connection to the previous CS version, but how to fix.  ???  One other note, may be of interest, these sites were originally created in GoLive.  And there is a menu program that I use that the author never updated to CS5 (or 6).  I'm slowly migrating from that program (to the noted menu extensions) but there still is GoLive site info in the current site file folders - although not in the web content folders.

Tom

• 13. Re: Open Site made in DW CS4 in CS6
                                  Daveejay Community Member

I'm editing a number of live sites from two different computers, a laptop and a desktop. A FTP issue has developed on the laptop and I am in the wilderness because I have no way of checking the remote server set up as the interface is malfunctioning exactly as you describe. There is no FTP issue on the desktop, but on checking I see that there is no remote server dialogue box there either. I probably won’t sleep tonight wondering what I'll do if I develop a FTP problem on my desktop! I've tried all the possible remedies noted in this thread without success. Sorry I can't offer any help other than the moral support of letting you know I'm in the same boat!

Dave

• 14. Re: No server info in Manage Sites
                                    DdoubleU Community Member

I had the same problem. I had recently activated the WebAssist Get Cookies Toolkit 3.1.0 extension. I disable it and fixed the "No server info in Manage Sites" problem. I'm downloading a new verison of the Cookies Toolkit, maybe that was the problem.

• 15. Re: No server info in Manage Sites

The Manage Sites window still is, for me, not working properly.  But since I know where the boxes & buttons are on the window I can hover/click my cursor and make the stuff appear.  Then I can edit my sites.  I have NO IDEA why they don't appear on their own, but I haven't looked recently and there were a number of updates within the last week to many CS6 apps.  I can work around them not appearing, but only because now I know where to hover/click.

Tom

• 16. Re: No server info in Manage Sites
                                        shockpuppetslc Community Member

I have this same problem. I'm glad @golf25radioman posted his fix. It's super annoying, but it got me through. Any idea how to fix this in the long term? I just updated my software and this started happening. It's a full, legal, legit version.