6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2012 11:19 AM by Judge62 RSS

LR 4 is Slow

Judge62

Since upgrading from LR 3 to LR 4 a few months ago, I see a definite slow down.  I see it on my laptop, which runs W7, 64 bit.  I see it on my desktop, running Vista, 32 bit.  I have all software, LR and OS, updated to latest versions.

I have seen many other posts about this issue and will go through some to see if there is something I can do.  But it is frustrating.  I've been noticing that in the Develop module, if I switch back and forth in the History, to compare various images in various stages of edits, the display sometimes does not update (or is taking too slow that I just get frustrated and don't want to wait any longer). 

There is also a very noticeable increase in the amount of time it takes to backup the catalog when I exit out of LR.  It took some time before (the catalog size is about 800 Mb right now), but it really is slow, now, to update.  I think it was going on 20 minutes yesterday when I exited LR and told it to backup the catalog. 

Someone posted that he thinks it might have to do with NEF files.....he said converting to DNG made things run more quickly.  Maybe this is part of the problem, but I will not convert my files to DNG.

Just wanted to add to the list of those who have seen a noticeable slowdown with LR 4.

• 1. Re: LR 4 is Slow
          bob frost Community Member

LR4 has to do a lot more processing in Develop with PV 2012, than LR3 did with PV2010. Is it still slower if you stick with PV 2010 in LR4?

It also helps if you turn off some screen stuff that has to be updated with each change in Develop, such as the Navigator view, the filmstrip, the histogram, and a second monitor. If some of these are not essential to you, turning them off should reduce the load and speed things up. I never use the Navigator, and rarely use the filmstrip, so I have these turned off.

Bob Frost

• 2. Re: LR 4 is Slow
            Judge62 Community Member

Thanks for the info, Bob.  I'll look at these things.

I don't know about PV2010....I'd prefer not having to go back to that, but, at least I'll see if that makes a difference.

I do have the Navigator view always on, but I don't need it most of the time.  I do use the histogram a bit, but I can shut that off to see what it does. I do not use a second monitor.  I always have the filmstrip turned on....not sure how to turn it off, but I should be able to find out.

Probably won't be able to get to these for 2 or 3 days, but they are things I can look into. 

Thanks again,

Richard

• 3. Re: LR 4 is Slow
              Judge62 Community Member

Just a quick update, Bob.....I just got back to using LR4 yesterday.  I turned off the Navigator view and the histogram.  It's really hard to say, but if I had to guess, I would say that things are better.  I just need to use it some more to try to determine if these have really helped.  Haven't tried PV2010, yet, to see if that helps.

• 4. Re: LR 4 is Slow
                Judge62 Community Member

Bob,

I think I have discovered something which is causing the "slowness" of LR4.  It explains in large part, I think, why LR4 is slow, but only on my desktop, not on my laptop.

I have an external terabyte drive which automatically backs up the internal drive I keep all of my images on.  Any time I make any change to a single image, that change is not only written to the LRCAT file; I believe it is written to the Preview files.  I have not only the LRCAT file backed up to my external drive; I have all of the Preview files backed up as well.  I thought at one point I had turned the backup for the Previews off, but that is not the case.  I think what has been happening is that any time the Previews are updated, they are all backed up.  This is a huge number of files and a lot of disk space. 

So yesterday, I turned off the backup for the Preview files.  (I did this with that external backup system, not through LR).  This seems to have made a huge difference in the speed of LR4, on my desktop.  It is much faster, now.  I still have the automatic backups turned on for the LRCAT files, but not the Preview files. 

It still takes a while to create a new backup, however.  It's taking about 20 minutes when I exit LR (that's the way I have it set up), if I choose to do so.  My LRCAT file is currently just under 1 GB in size.  I have Test Integrity turned on as well as Optimize turned on.  I can't say, though, whether this long time is a result of LR4.  It may well be that it has just gotten this way over time.....but my impression is that it is still longer than it was with LR3.

I will say that this Preview file backup issue is not the case on my laptop.  I have no external backup system on my laptop.  So, right now, my impression is that LR4 on my laptop is still noticeably slower than LR3 was. 

I'll keep watching and see if I can find anything else.

• 5. Re: LR 4 is Slow
                  bob frost Community Member

That's an interesting find. I wonder how many people have auto backup systems in place? I even turn off System Restore on my Win7x64, to stop auto backing up of changed system files. Is that the equivalent of Time Machine on Macs? I also don't use xmps, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't have them on autowrite - many people have found that this slows things down. I backup my catalog each time I shut down LR to an internal HDD. The catalog is now 1.5GB and integrity checking, backup, and optimize catalog only take 3 minutes! It is a fast machine, and to an internal HDD, so your backup is 7 times slower! A lot of that will be because of your external drive. I backup everything on my computer to external drives, but only now and again and usually leave it overnight.

If you haven't got a SSD for your system drive, save up for one. LR does a lot of writing to temp files on your system drive, and that will be a lot slower on an HDD than on a SSD. I also have another SSD for my catalog and previews, with my images on another internal HDD. So that is two SSDs, one for system and one for catalog/previews, and two internal HDDs, one for images and one for backups. Maybe that is a bit OTT, but it works nicely!

Bob Frost

• 6. Re: LR 4 is Slow
                    Judge62 Community Member

I don't know how Time Machine works.....don't have a MAC.

I have an external Western Digital terabyte drive.  It uses Memeo software to back things up.  I have all of my images on an internal (G:) terabyte drive.  They are backed up to that external (H:) terabyte drive.

As mentioned, I have it set up to automatically backup files and folders any time a change is made on the source.  What you do is set up the folders you want to backup.  It can be an entire drive, or, what I do in the case of my images, is do it by type of pictures......Personal Pictures, Professional Pictures, Pictures from Others, Pictures from Mom, etc. 

If there is a particular folder you do not want backed up, the way I do that is by Memeo's use of "Exclusions."  So I might backup an entire folder called "Pictures\Lightroom\Backup," but if I don't want to backup the Previews which are in this "Pictures\LIghtroom\Backup\" folder, I put the Previews subfolder in the "Exclusions" list.

I just tried turning off integrity checking and optimizing.....now the time to backup goes from about 20 minutes down to about 6 minutes. 

My PC is about 4 years old.  It was pretty fast when I bought it.  It still has Vista 32 bit, so I am limited to 4 GB memory.  I've been wanting to upgrade to W7, 64 bit (which, by the way, is what i use on my laptop....but LR is slow with it as well).  Rather than upgrade, I probably will just get a new machine.

Yeah, wish I had an SSD.  Maybe I'll get that with my new computer!

The reason I found this is that I was investigating another issue with my Western Digital/Memeo backup system.  While trying to clean this up, I noticed that some of my LRCAT files were not being written to the Western Digital drive to be backed up.  I'm still not sure why this is happening, but I think it might have to do with how LR uses the Archive attribute on the file or folder.  What I see is the following: as far as I can tell, the LRCAT file is always being updated to the source drive, any time you make a change.  While I am doing this, it also is backed up automatically to the external drive with that Memeo software.

When I exit LR, I don't always back up the LRCAT file, but I do sometimes, especially if I have made a lot of changes.  I write these backups to the source drive.....the same as the working LRCAT file is saved on.  Because these are on the same drive, I thought I was also backing up that backup onto my external H: drive.  Turns out, it appears as if older versions of the backup on the G:\ drive are indeed backed up to the H:\ drive; but the last few I backed up do not show up on the H:\ drive.  The ones that are not showing up are the ones I have created these past couple of days, after I made changes in the way Memeo backs up folders.  Really hard to explain, but I'm still digging into it.  I have a related Discussion I entered this morning on these forums....maybe I'll ask you.  How do you change the location of the what I call the "working" LRCAT file?  Not the backup, but the one used every time you load LR and which is updated any time you make changes to that catalog?  Right now, that "working" LRCAT file is, for some reason, located in a backup Folder that had been created back in January, and I can't figure out how that happened.  I almost erased that Folder when I was recently cleaning up some old backups.  So I want to put it in a folder that distinguishes itself by name with a name other than a date and time.