11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2012 2:00 PM by Stan Jones RSS

PGC error "data rate too high"

KatzInAz2 Community Member

Encore CS4  Version 4.0.1.048  (no new updates available)
      Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit
      Dual Quad Processor, 3Ghz

8Gb RAM

Error:  PGC "Full Video w Book Format" has an error at 00;07;24;17.  The data rate of this file is too high for DVD. You must replace the file with one of a lower data rate.  -PGC Info:  name = Ful Video w Book Format, Ref: Qpgc, time: 00:07:24:17

Project is made up of 6 mpg video files, approximately 7-9 minutes each. 

Transcode settings in Encore are set to DON'T TRANSODE. 

(Clips created in ProShow Producer.  If I set them to Transcode, Encore warns me that the video quality will be compromised as they are already transcoded.)

I can create a DVD image successfully if I use just 1 of the video clips. I've tried this with each clip and they render out fine. 

When I combine the clips, I receive the above error.   It isn't specific to a specific video clip though.  I can change the order of the clips, and the error moves from clip to clip.  It isn't always at the same time marker of the timeline either.

Sometimes by changing the order of the clips the error goes away.  Sometimes using 2 clips (randomly chosen) works just fine.  Have tried various combinations and no pattern so far.

I've tried creating a new timeline.  No avail.

I've made sure there are no spaces in the file names.  No luck.

I've rebuilt each of the video pieces - created in ProShow Producer - to no avail.

I've read through the forum searching on this specific error - no luck.

This was building fine until yesterday.  What changed?  Nothing that I know of.

And of course, this pops up right before I have to deliver this show to a client - so time is of the essence!

• 1. Re: PGC error "data rate too high"
          JSS1138 Community Member

I recommend using only one clip per timeline.  If you need them all on the same timeline, create them as a single clip outside of Encore.

• 2. Re: PGC error "data rate too high"

Thanks for the quick reply Jim!    Would you recommend creating 1 video outside of Encore, OR using multiple timelines with 1 clip each.  (I'm assuming that is possible?).  The end goal is 1 contiguous video with the ability to select specific chapters from the menu if desired.

• 3. Re: PGC error "data rate too high"
              Stan Jones CommunityMVP

If small pauses between timelines in the play all version are not an issue, your fastest options is one "chapter" video per timeline, and use a playlist to make the play all version.

You can't judge the gaps until you view a burned disk.

• 4. Re: PGC error "data rate too high"

I tried putting each clip on a separate timeline.  Encore did author the DVD without error.  Unfortunately there are now noticeable pauses between the timelines.  

I'll see if I can author the fuil video in ProShow and then import into Encore.  Not sure ProShow can handle the total file size though.

Either way I'm curious why this error started happening.  I've been creating videos in this manner for a long time.  In fact, I created THIS video, sans one chapter a few days ago without problem.   Now, even building without the new chapter results in an error.   hmm. . . .

• 5. Re: PGC error "data rate too high"
                  Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Either way I'm curious why this error started happening.

Me too! I sounds like this occurs during the build, and makes me wonder about a video + audio rate excess. But it makes no sense to me that it happens only with some combinations of assets.

• 6. Re: PGC error "data rate too high"

Exactly.  Even wierder (ok, not really a word ) - if I order them Chapter 1 - Chapter 2, I'll get the error.  However, if I put Chapter 2 first, then Chapter 1 - no error.    The errors don't even follow a specific video clip around. 

.... she puzzled and she puzzled until her puzzler was sore...

• 7. Re: PGC error "data rate too high"

UPDATE:

I combined all chapters into one large (1.69Gb) Mpeg2 video, imported that into my project and the DVD build just fine. 

TESTING:  (using the individual chapters encoded in ProShow the same way as the above large video):

Note:  The failure always occur after transcoding is done - screen says "Ordering Files".

• Chapter 1 followed by Chapter 2:   Failed at the very end of Chapter 1
                      • Chapter 2 followed by Chapter 1:   No error
                      • Chapter 1 followed by Chapter 3:   Failed at the very end of Chapter 1
                      • Chapter 3 followed by Chapter 1:   No error
                      • Chapter 2 followed by Chapter 3:   No error
                      • Chapter 3 followed by Chapter 2:   Failed at the very end of Chapter 3
                      • Chpt 1 -> Chpt 2 -> Chpt 3:            Failed at the very end of Chapter 1
                      • Chpt 2 -> Chpt 1 -> Chpt 3:            Failed at the very end of Chapter 1
                      • Chpt 2 -> Chpt 3 -> Chpt 1:            No error
                      • Chpt 3 -> Chpt 1 -> Chpt 2:            Failed at the very end of Chapter 1
                      • Chpt 3 -> Chpt 2 -> Chpt 1:            Failed at the very end of Chapter 3

SUMMARY:

• Build will fail if any other chapter follows Chapter 1.
                      • Build will fail if Chapter 2 follows Chapter 3.

FURTHER TESTING:

• I rebuilt the chapter 1 video clip, taking out the last slide, creating a new one and re-encoding in ProShow to create mpeg2 file.  Repeated the tests, same results.
                      • I did the same with Chapter 3, which was also problematic (only if Chapter 2 follows).  Repeated tests, same results.
                      • I then created a 2 second black clip in PremierPro.  If I insert that 2 second black clip AFTER Chapter 1, OR AFTER Chapter 3, all the above failing tests succeed!  
                      • I repeated the test with a Royalty Free video clip - and that worked as well.

QUESTIONS:

1. Why would Encore fail with only certain video clips behind certain chapter videos, and yet work when the orders are switched around? 
                      2. Why would Encore work when those same video clips are combined into 1 large video file, and transcoded (outside of Encore) in the same fashion as the individual clips?

I have yet to figure out any reason.

• 8. Re: PGC error "data rate too high"

Well, unfortunately even though Encore authored the DVD image without throwing an error, the audio had glitches, and pops throughout, and was actually slightly off frame here and there throughout the video.    

Let's see what else might work. . . .

• 9. Re: PGC error "data rate too high"
                          Stan Jones CommunityMVP

the audio had glitches, and pops throughout, and was actually slightly off frame here and there throughout the video.

Well, that's a sad bottom line for now.

So you are creating a slideshow and exporting a movie to import into Encore.

And when you created a single movie out of Proshow, you had audio and sync issues?

When you made single timelines for the chapters and a playlist for the play all (and got pauses), were there audio or sync issues?

• 10. Re: PGC error "data rate too high"

Hey Stan,

Thanks for following up and trying to help me sort this one out!

And when you created a single movie out of Proshow, you had audio and sync issues?

Yes, the single movie had audio stutters and was slightly off sync.

When you made single timelines for the chapters and a playlist for the play all (and got pauses), were there audio or sync issues?

Nope. The audio worked just fine.  The only problem there was the pauses between the timelines.

I kept thinking about the audio glitches, and the error Encore was throwing talking about data bit rates.  I found out that when ProShow builds a video file, it uses the audio bit rate of the audio included in the assets used.  I have several audio files, plus voice over snips that came from ACVHD video.    I went into ProShow and forced it to render 128 bit audio as one large file and the aforementioned audio stutters and synch issues went away.  

I tested a DVD build in Encore using 2 chapters rebuilt in ProShow with forced 128-bit audio, and no error!   

So it looks like I must have had some odd audio bit rates in my original assets, which carried over in the original ProShow builds.  Encore didn't like those rates and threw the errors.   Forcing ProShow to generate 128-bit audio for this project was much easier than trying to identify which of the original asset pieces had funky audio rates.

SOLUTION:  Ensure that the assets imported into Encore have the correct audio bit rates.

Thanks to Stan and Jim for pitching in and helping me resolve this issue.

Cheers all,

Kathy

• 11. Re: PGC error "data rate too high"
                              Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Excellent!

I think your theory is on the right track. My guess is that Encore accepted the audio rates, but when combined with the video rates (as it muxes things into the vobs), objected to the combined rate being over the max.