3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2012 5:02 AM by P Spier RSS

Master Pages and Layers Question

Library Scribe

I am opening an old PageMaker document in InDesign CS5. The old doc contained many layers. The new InDesign doc contains these layers, but also many master pages (I previousy only had 1 master page).

Question: How do I delete these extra master pages without deleting the layers?

I want the file size to be as small as possible.

Using Windows 7

Thanks for help,

Library Scribe

• 1. Re: Master Pages and Layers Question
          P Spier CommunityMVP

Layers are a document property and will not disappear if you remove a page, master or otherwise. Objects on those pages that are located on those layers will be lost, however.

• 2. Re: Master Pages and Layers Question
            Library Scribe Community Member

I still don't understand. If I create a new layer in InDesign - only the layer is created.

Yet when I open a doc that was previously in PageMaker, all the layers now have master pages and I did not have these extra master pages in PageMaker. There is only 1 master page in use (the one showing columns).

I name all my layers. Can I delete the empty master pages with the same name as the layers, while keeping the layers? (Example of layer names, outerbox, text, picture, etc.)

Again thanks for replies.

• 3. Re: Master Pages and Layers Question
              P Spier CommunityMVP

Without seeing the document I can't tell you what's happening. Conversion from Pagemaker to ID can be anything from near-perfect to near useless, depending on the structure of the PM file.