19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 2:35 PM by the_wine_snob RSS

Does PE10 install as a 32-bit or 64-bit application on Windows 8 64 bit?

A.T. Romano Community Member

Premiere Elements 10 was released as a 64 bit application only when on Windows 7 64 bit. For all other operating systems, it was still a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system.

For me, that poses an interesting question about Premiere Elements 10 and how it was set up to recognize one operating system from another. I am still with Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit. So I ask, if I install Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8 64 bit, will Premiere Elements 10 be a 32 or 64 bit application?

Has anyone one been there and done that and found the answer?

Thanks.

ATR

• 1. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?
          Steve Grisetti MVP

It doesn't happen automatically, Tony. You must choose the 64-bit disc to install the 64-bit version.

Although, I'm not sure what happens if you download the program from the Adobe site. It clearly recognizes if you're on a Mac or a PC -- but I'm not sure if it also knows if you've got 64-bit Windows 7.

• 2. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?
            whsprague Community Member

PE10 will soon be PE11.  My bet is it will know what Win 8 is and there will be drooling features that will entice you to upgrade anyway.

Bill

• 3. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?

SG

Thanks for the reply.

Right now I am focusing on installation from disc and not installation from installation files downloaded from Adobe, although that is another interesting side of this question.

Given that you have Premiere Elements 10 installation disc #2 (which is specifically labelled "To install for Window 7 64 bit") and you use that disc to install the program to get your Premiere Elements 10 64 bit application in the Windows 7 64 bit system. If you want, you can prove that to be the case by checking the readout in the  Image Type column of the Process Explorer Sysinternals program.

So, my question still stands...if I use Premiere Elements 10 installation disc #2 (which is specifically labelled "To install for Window 7 64 bit") and use it for the install into Windows 8 64 bit, not Windows 7 64 bit, is the installed Premiere Elements 10 a 32 bit or 64 bit application. I was hoping to find someone who has actually tried this. I have input from some Elements users that Premiere Elements 10 works on Windows 8, but I have not seen any confirmation that the program is working as a 64 bit application under this circumstance.

Bill

Thanks for the reply.

I have no doubt that Premiere Elements 11 should work in Windows 8 64 bit. But I was looking for confirmation on the 32 vs 64 bit detail for those who still need and/or are satisfied with the feature set for Premiere Elements 10 but want to use it in Windows 8 64 bit. There are many out there who prefer not to do an annual update of their programs, especially if the one that they are using meets their needs.

But, the details that will unfold on this matter should be interesting as Adobe and Microsoft upgrade their products.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?
                John T Smith MVP

If you install from the 32bit disc, PE is 32bit on the computer

If you install from the 64bit disc, PE is 64bit on the computer

• 5. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?

John T. Smith

Are you now running any version of Premiere Elements on Windows 8 64 bit system?

Could you clarify...

First....Are you saying that if I took Premiere Elements 10 installation disc # 1 (for Windows other than Windows 7 64 bit), it would install in Windows 7 64 bit and as a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system? Never tried that for curiosity purposes.

Second...Are you saying that whether I use Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit, if I use Premiere Elements 10 installation disc #2 (for Windows 7 64 bit), then I end up with the 64 bit version of Premiere Elements installed?

I just wanted to double check I was interpreting correctly your response.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?
                    John T Smith MVP

I do not have PE10, but I do read every message (and reply to some with links to previous discussions to help people)

The PE 32bit disc contains the 32bit program (a loaf of bread that says oat bread is, in fact oat bread) while the 64bit disc contains the 64bit program (a loaf of bread that says whole wheat is, in fact whole wheat)

That is why there are two different discs... so people may read the disc label and decide which version to install... I will GUESS Adobe did it that way, rather than a single disc with a single install program with a "check 32... or check 64" option just so nobody would mistakenly try to install the wrong program... or, maybe, because the program and support files would not both fit on a single install disc

I did not save a link, but I *think* I've read at least one message from someone who wondered why they could not install PE10, and the solution was they had 32bit Windows and the 64bit program would not install

If you have Win7 64bit and you use the PE10 64bit disc... that is the only thing you can possibly install... PE10 32bit is on the other disc

Whether or not either version of PE10 will work properly with Win8 is a different issue... which will be answered when Win8 is issued and someone tries to install and use PE10

• 7. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?

John T. Smith

Thank you for trying to help in spite of the fact that you do not have Premiere Elements 10 nor Windows 8 64 bit.

As for the oat and whole wheat as well as the 32 bit installation program on one disc and 64 bit bit installation program on another installation disc, a major other half of that is the consideration is its digestibility with the end user, the eater and the computer operating system respectively.

I fully appreciate the fact that you presented, that is,

"If you have Win7 64bit and you use the PE10 64bit disc... that is the only thing you can possibly install... PE10 32bit is on the other disc"

In no way did I suggest trying to get a 64 bit application on Windows 7 64bit system with a Premiere Elements 10 installation disc for "Windows other than Windows 7 64 bit". My questions in post # 5 of this thread say otherwise.

We do agree on

"Whether or not either version of PE10 will work properly with Win8 is a different issue... which will be answered when Win8 is issued and someone tries to install and use PE10",

except for the part "will work properly". At this point, I am not up to "will work properly".  I was just wondering if Premiere Elements 10 could be installed on Windows 8 64 bit with the Premiere Elements 10 installation disc #2 labelled "to install for Windows 7 64 bit".

I was hoping to find a user with first hand information on this, but, if that is not the case, I will do what I usually do and do some first hand investigation and post the results.

ATR

• 8. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?
                        PRE_help Adobe Employee

Premiere Elements detects if the OS is 32 or 64-bit and installs accordngly, automatically. If attempted to install 32-bit PRE10 on 64-bit OS, error messages are shown and installation is aborted. Similarly error is thrown when attempting to install 64-bit PRE on 32-bit OS. This holds good for Windows7 and Windows8 only. For Vista-64-bit, PRE installations are 32-bit. And we do not support XP-64.

To summarize:

For Windows 7 and Windows 8, we detect if the OS is 64/32 bit and install accordingly

For Vista and XP, 32-bit PRE is installed immaterial of the OS bitness.

• 9. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?

PRE_help

Thank you for the direct (Adobe) answer to my question concerning "PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit", that is, there should be no issue using Premiere Elements 10 installation disc 2 of 5 (64 bit version) to install the program as a 64 bit application on Windows 8 64 bit.

The auxiliary information on Premiere Elements installations supplied was also very interesting.

Since I posted last, for curiosity purposes only, I did try using installation disc 1 of 5 (Windows 32 bit version) in Windows 7 64 bit. And, I did get the error message which pointed me to use of disc 2 of 5 (Windows 64 bit version). Part of the curiosity was related to any involvement of the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system.

I think that the following Adobe documents that might be helpful also for those looking at Premiere Elements 10 installation considerations. The second was particularly helpful in a better understanding of when you wrote "And we do not support XP-64."

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/install-premiere-elements-photoshop-elements. html

"Cannot install Premiere Elements 10 trial download i Windows XP 64 bit Vista 64 bit"

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/cannot-install-premiere-elements-10.html

Thank you for your response.

ATR

• 10. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?
                            fjmx Community Member

If you have issues with an Abobe product as I have, Adobe rather than guide you through it, will sent you here.

• 11. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?

tjmx

This thread was not directed to an Adobe issue, but rather as a fact finding mission regarding the possibiity to install Premere Elements 10 on Windows 8 64 bit. I am still working with Windows 7 64 bit and, unless forced to for some reason, will not be going to Windows 8 64 bit in the near future. Your post #10 of this thread directed to my attention motivated me to check your prior posts to get more information on your Adobe product issue to which you were referring.

The first one that I found was

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4807792#4807792

Keep in mind that I am not affiliated with Adobe nor Sony in any way nor have any insider information on their products. My information is almost entirely based on hands on exploration and experimentation of the product. And, when my information is from something that I have read, I try to make the distinction between hands on and "from what I have read".

After reading your thread cited above, it would appear that the issue does not go to Adobe, but rather to Sony and its pre-installed Premiere Elements products. Premiere Elements 10 Windows should be compatible with Windows 8 64 bit, provided you have the proper installation tool given to you. Clearly, Sony does not design to that end for its pre-install Premiere Elements. From what I have read, you should run into problems even in the same operating system if you uninstalled the pre-installed Premiere Elements 10 since Sony is not going to supply you with installation files nor discs for this. Am I correct in this?

The spin of the message from Sony (shown in your prior thread referenced above) would suggest that you are dealing with a Premiere Elements 10/computer operating system compatibility issue. As I just mentioned in the previous paragraph of this post, you should be running into problems even in the same operating system if you uninstalled the pre-installed Premiere Elements 10 and then wanted to reinstall it.

Have you read the fine print in the Sony Vaio purchase with regard to pre-installed Premiere Elements 10? If not, see if you can find anything in it that defines your rights as to obtaining installation means for the pre-installed that has to be uninstalled and then reinstalled for whatever reason, troubleshooting or upgrading of the operating system. This is an old story of Sony Vaio and pre-installed Premiere Elements.

ATR

• 12. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?
                                fjmx Community Member

Very helpful. I enjoyed working with Premier Photoshop Elements so much that I've decided to buy the last version 11, assuming it's a compatible with my 64 bit Vaio. Thanks.

• 13. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?

fjmx

It is always a good idea to go the free 30 day tryout Premiere Elements 11 route from Adobe before purchase to avoid any surprises.

All should go well, but best to be conservative on this.

Success with your video editing.

ATR

• 14. Re: Does PE10 install as a 32-bit or 64-bit application on Windows 8 64 bit?
                                    sonix8719 Community Member

The 64-bit PE10 does work on Windows 8 (I'm running it). It is noticeably slower on Windows 8 than it was on Windows 7 however. Will Adobe provide an update to speed this up on W8?

• 15. Re: Does PE10 install as a 32-bit or 64-bit application on Windows 8 64 bit?
                                      John T Smith MVP

>Will Adobe provide

This is a user to user forum... no user knows Adobe's plans... any user who is part of the Beta process has signed an agreement not to tell... any employee who wants to remain an employee will also not tell things before the product is ready to go on sale (or, be added to the updates page)

Having said that... and as a NON-employee... my best guess is that now that version 11 is being sold, there will be no further work on version 10

But, to find out if there are any updates...

All Adobe updates start here and select product, read to see if you need to install updates in number order, or if the updates are cumulative for the individual product

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

• 16. Re: Does PE10 install as a 32-bit or 64-bit application on Windows 8 64 bit?
                                        fjmx Community Member

Thanks for that. I'll atempt to reinstall it this week.

• 17. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?
                                          fjmx Community Member

Tried obtaining install disks from Sony but without success. What I could do is partition my HD and reinstall Win 7 in a separate partition if I fail to reinstall Premier and Photoshop Elements, or simply buy the combo version 11 which has features I need not found in ver 10. Thanks for your help!

• 18. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?
                                            John T Smith MVP

Partitions sometimes do not work well with video editing

Partition = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957286

• 19. Re: PE10: 32 or 64 bit on Windows 8 64 bit?
                                              the_wine_snob Community Member

For more info on partitions, when doing video-editing, this article (cannot recall if it's linked in John T's thread), might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2858648#2858648

Good luck,

Hunt