• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9 HMTL Search Isn't Working Properly

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use RH9 for HTML and compile to WebHelp. I dont know if there is a setting I am missing, but my search results are inconsistent. Ive used several variations of the search settings to see if it makes a difference and it does not.  Search will find certain keywords and not others. It will not find topics that I know exist in the project. If there is a topic titled 'Change of Address' in the project and I type the word 'Address' is the search engine, I get no results.  Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested the same string and it worked correctly.

Try creating a new layout, not a duplicate.

What browser are you viewing in? Does that make a difference?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The situation still remains unresolved and got progressively worse. I had to disable the search tab. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Adobe has been unable to recreate the scenario, but in online sessions can clearly see the results that I get are different than what they get, which makes me think its not RoboHelp causing the problem, but rather something interfering with my output. Every project that I have (about 13 or so) cannot use the RH search feature. Results come back as "Null". It's got to be something in the company firewall or something that is preventing this feature from working, but unless I can pinpoint the issue, I cant have our internal IT folks work on resolving it. I am browsing in IE8 and cannot change that to see if it functions in a later version or Chrome. It previously worked in IE8 though. If anyone has had a similar situation, please let me know. Having projects with no search capability is less than ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a "deficient" project with us? Maybe we can see the same results outside of your environment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did they ask you to try one of the sample projects?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant share a project with anyone outside of Adobe unfortunately. These projects are Corporate Record for my company. I did try a sample project (no one had suggested that yet - so thank you Peter!) and search fails there as well.  Which definitely leads me to believe there is something in my company's system that is interfering with the initialization of the database. I have little confidence that anyone in IT will know how to resolve this, but it gives me a starting point to request testing on machines that are not altered with our security, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you take the files of the sample project output outside your corporate IT environment (like home) to test them? If they work there, then it's definitely your corporate environment that's the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's more to try yet.

Has it ever worked?

Was Rh installed with local admin rights?

Did Adobe have you uninstalll and reinstall?

Where are generating the help to? Is it a local drive?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it worked for years. RH has always been installed with local Admin rights on my PC. i generate to webhelp and publish to a server for our local intranet site. I am one of several Admins and we are all now experiencing the same issues in all projects. Adobe took copies of our projects and Search works fine for them. I fear that the issue coincided with an upgrade to Win7 back in April 2012. I was not part of the testing of RH9 and Win7 so Im unsure if anyone specifically tested search. It could also be the result of one of our many many security patch updates over the last year. I will begin testing on a clean machine to try to pinpoint the cause. Thanks for all your help and ideas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2013 May 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rh9 was tested during the beta on Windows 7 and I still use it regularly. Search is fine.

You didn't confirm the generated (rather than published) is being generated to a local folder rather than the network. Are you testing the search in both generated and published help>

Also you didn't confirm whether or not an uninstall and reinstall  had been tried.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company likes to customize everything..including Win7. Our local desktops run through a server since we received Win7. So, I'm sure it's not an out-of-the-box issue with Win7 and RH, but rather something we have customized that is interfering. I generate locally to my desktop and then move the generated files to a server. I have tried it on my PC and also on the server and it doesn't work. I have not tried an uninstall/reinstall because there are 6 of us all generating content and it doesn't work for any of us. I don't have Admin rights so I can't do it without IT support. They remove our access after they install RH with local Admin rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be worth getting IT to give one of you admin rights while they hover over. Generate while you have those rights and see if that makes a difference.

Rh used to require admin rights but now it is only required for installation. However, with these problems, it is worth a try.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed now?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, IT just doesn't move that fast. Im still waiting for someone to approve my request for testing. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT  just installed Google ChromeFrame BHO and the search stopped working. Still using IE to open the help (created in RH9). coworker stopped working first. mine was still working then I saw the install program fire up (they pushed it out) and as soon as the install finished, I could no longer do search. Is there something I can do other than uninstall this Google chrome piece for a couple hundred users of my help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ll need to identify what exactly is making your search stop working - what help flavour are you producing? What did IT roll out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They loaded a plug in - ChromeFrame BHO and we are still using IE. I’m creating Webhelp using RH9

IT is going to uninstall the plug in since the Chrome website apparently just announced today that they are discontinuing ChromeFrame dev and pulling support for it in January.

So never mind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp