18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2012 10:21 AM by Kar209 RSS

Noise spills onto BG?

Kar209 Community Member

hello:                                                                                                   Level: Newbie   OS: Windows 7 64bit    Ps: CS6

I went through a half A***d tutorial (to make an iPad) which was a huge part of my problem ...

The tut would say to do things that couldn't be done - so I would find an other way ... which I believe created problems

when I was done making the iPad and then tried to Group my layers into some sort of order ...

The Noise (Filter) I used on the Main Shape of the iPad spilled out of its Clipping Mask and onto the BG layer ...

or actually onto every aspect of iPad

Am I assuming correctly that having moved the Layers around and placing them into Groups somehow disrupted the Clipping Mask?

I read that I can make a New Group and then just drag the Layers up to the Folder

However, I couldn't find in the manual anything about what to do when moving Layers into New Groups goes wrong ...

Well, any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hope all is well and Thank You Much for your time!

• 1. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
          c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

The Noise (Filter) I used on the Main Shape of the iPad spilled out of its Clipping Mask and onto the BG layer ...

or actually onto every aspect of iPad

Could you please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

• 2. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
            Kar209 Community Member

I sure can try.

My Print Screen key is broken so I just downloaded Jing last night.

I'm still not that good with Jing but I'll give it my best shot.

BRB

• 3. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
              Kar209 Community Member

Okay so I have a whole lotta layers and it took 3 different pics to capture all of them.

The 3rd picture contains layers from the previous picture. Also, no idea what that red arrow is but I think Jing added it.

I skipped the first few layers because they are just the Face time camera and the Home button.

Layers_part_1.png

Layers_part_2.png

Layers_part_3.png

I am still very new to Ps and graphics in general. I have only used Groups/Folders once before this but that was when I was making something myself and not following a badly instructed tutorial.

So, sorry my layers are all a mess. I really super appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

Well, Thanks again so much. It's 2:45am my time and so I must get off to bed. I'll check back first thing 2mar'o

• 4. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                Noel Carboni Community Member

It might be helpful as well to show the image, and point out what it is you feel is wrong.  I'll go out on a limb and say it will also be helpful to identify which layers you expect to do what, specificially (e.g., this (name it) layer adds the noise, and that layer is expected to be the clipping mask, etc.)

-Noel

• 5. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                  conroy Community Member

I skipped the first few layers because they are just the Face time camera and the Home button.

Please post that because it might contain a clue that you haven't recognised.

• 6. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                    Kar209 Community Member

good afternoon Noel and Conroy ...

I took new pics. I hope they aren't too big.

iPad-UGL.png

I think the top black line declines before I move & Group the Layers because the iPad sits at an angle... ??

The layers panel below has a blue box around the Layer that has the Noise Filter applied and the Layers

that are Clipped to it and the main iPad shape.

I included the first 3 layers that I excluded before.

L1-Noise.png

Below are the layers next in line. I reposted so you wouldn't have to scroll back up to my other post. Hope it's helpful

and not redundant.

Layers_2.png

Below are the last of the Layers

Layers_3.png

Continued next post

• 7. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                      Kar209 Community Member

Now here is the iPad after I have dragged the Layers up to a Grouped folder

I hope you can see that the Noise is on the entire canvas and no longer just inside the Main Shape of the iPad.

If you lean your screen back you can see the Noise ~ that's if you have a laptop. If not try looking from different angles.

Also, you can see where the arrow points that the top black line has become level ~ which I like better but don't understand why it becomes

level when the layers are Grouped. I am assuming that maybe it becomes better Clipped due to the Z-order ... ??

iPad-Grouped-2.png

In this panel the tut said to Duplicate the Smart Object layers to easily change out the colors & screen shots. I don't think it was necessary.

I shut off the Grey Gradient BG so that you can better see the Noise on the BG

Grouped.png

I cannot thank you enough for your time & efforts to help me

• 8. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                        Kar209 Community Member

Sorry, but I thought I should post a shot without the Grey Gradient BG of the iPad before the Layers are Grouped

so that you could better see that the Noise is not all over the BG.

iPad-LU-No-BG.png

• 9. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                          conroy Community Member

Hi Kar,

First i want to say that your project is coming along very nicely.

OK, about the unwanted noise in the background... Here are your last two images with an adjustment to enhance the noise.

Screen-shot-2012-07-30-at-20.31.01.png

Screen-shot-2012-07-30-at-20.31.07.png

Edit: The noise in the background is only in the first image, and if I've understood correctly, you created the second image before the first image, and something has gone wrong when you tidied the layers into groups, causing noise in the background instead of being clipped to the iPad.

Can you post a screenshot of the Layers panel with the opened layer group which contains the noise layer?

Or how about putting your PSD in a Dropbox or similar and posting a download link?

• 10. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                            acresofgreen Community Member

Kar209 wrote:

My Print Screen key is broken so I just downloaded Jing last night.

Have you tried using the Snipping Tool that is built in to Windows?  If you haven't, you'll find it in the Accessories Program folder, or just click on the Windows Start button and enter "Snipping Tool" in the search field to find it.

Agree that your project is looking good! 

• 11. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                              Kar209 Community Member

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry I haven't been back before now. I've been down w/a bad cold. Thought I had gotten over it then Boom! ... it returned w/a vengence.

Any way, just didn't want you to think I just blew you off. I've gotta go read the responses. BRB

TY

• 12. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                                Kar209 Community Member

hello acres...

Thank you for the tip!! I was not aware of the Snipping Tool in Windows. I am going to look into it

And thank you, to the both of you, for the compliment(s) on my project ... surprised I'm not bald from all the hair pulling ... lol

Below, I hope, is a link to Dropbox and a folder in which ... again ... I Hope the PSD file for the iPad is located. Dropbox seemed to want an email address. So, my fingers are crossed that the link will actually work.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wrjwodwyfing2tb/-abyHV-Dxz

TY!!

Ps. if the link doesn't work please lmk so that I can try again.

Hope you're having a wonderful day/night!

• 13. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                                  Mike Ornellas Community Member

You don't know what hair pulling is about until you work for Apple.

• 14. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                                    conroy Community Member

Kar, the background noise is in the first layer above Background, named "BG Radial Gradient". Hide all other layers to prove that. I guess you accidentally applied an "add noise" filter to that layer at some time.

• 15. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                                      Kar209 Community Member

Mike ... LOL .. ya, I bet!!

conroy ... thank you for taking a look. I'm working on my Z order skills ... the iPad was my fourth attempt at making a graphic image so hopefully down the line I'll have a much better handle on things.

I am going to do the tut all over from the start b/c I think it will help to sink things in a bit more.

Hope all is well.

Thank you

• 16. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                                        Kar209 Community Member

Ps.   Say you have a done project and you look back and you're like ... awe dang'it I wish I hadn't done that ...

can Noise or other Filter effects be removed or once applied they are there?

• 17. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                                          c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

can Noise or other Filter effects be removed or once applied they are there?

If they were applied as Smart Filters to Smart Objects.

• 18. Re: Noise spills onto BG?
                                            Kar209 Community Member

Thank you c.p