12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2012 3:04 PM by JSS1138 RSS

Dynamic link in AE is blank/black

brucelee12345

Has anyone else ran into this issue and have found a fix??  I am trying to link Premiere CS5.5 with AE 5.5 and the dynamic link always comes up blank or black in AE.  See photo.dynamic link error.jpg

I've already tried setting the background in AE to black, changing Renderer mode in Premiere to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only, deactivating and then reactivating the software, reinstalled Premiere AFTER AE (seperately), reinstalled the entire suite...none of these have fixed the problem!! ;( 

I"m running the CS5.5 Master Collection and Premiere CS5.5.2 with updates that are suppose to help fix some of these isses but have still have no luck.  Can anyone suggesstion something that might help?

• 1. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black
          Fuzzy Barsik Community Member

Since your dynamically linked composition doesn't contain any layers, it's quite normal that it appears blank in AE and, accordingly, 'black' (actually transparent) in PrPro.

How do you build your Dynamic Links?

• 2. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black
            brucelee12345 Community Member

I can't building anything because the footage that I am trying to link will not pull up in AE at all.  In AE, my layers say NONE (because I haven't done anything) but the composition is what is blank/black, where my footage should be.  The timeline is also blank, as if the file has not transfered or linked properly.

• 3. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black

What is your footage (codec etc.)?

Can you import it into AE directly (i.e. not while trying to build Dynamic Link from PrPro, but e.g. while choosing File -> Import -> File... or just pressing Ctrl/Cmd + I within AE project)?

• 4. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black

Okay I'm getting errors when I try to import files in AE directly.  I wasn't having this issue a few days ago.. dang!  Error is:

After Effects Warning:  Error with file. 

I'm just trying to import a .MOV file.  Does it sound like I'm having issues with AE and not Premiere? 

I was able to use dynamic link in AE to import my Premiere project, BUT I can't edit it because its the full project as one file.  So when I put effects on one scene, it affects the whole project.  In addition, when I drag or import my AE composition (with effects) to Premiere the footage comes up as color bars.  So it does sound like AE is my problem.   

• 5. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black

It sounds like you have an issue with either your .MOV file (files, if you can't import any of them into AE) or Dynamic Link workflow... So, the questions are:

1. Can you create an AE project from scratch and import any of your .MOV files into it?

2. How do you build your Dynamic Links (step by step)?

• 6. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black

1.  My AE is currently glitchy.  It will import some of my .MOV (raw) files but NONE of the ones that are assoicated with the file that I'm trying to link between Premiere and AE. 

2.  I build my Dynamic links by right clicking on my file in Premiere and selcecting "replace with AE composition".  File will say that it's linked in Premiere and open AE.  When AE opens thats when the file pulls up blank. 

• 7. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black

Can you upload somewhere any of your .MOV files, which AE doesn't want to import, or test them on another machine by yourself?

• 8. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black

AE is not recongizing some of my files as quicktime files ALTHOUGH they are.  I click preferences and it states its a quicktime file and will open up with Quicktime when i click it.  These are the files that AE wont open and recongize.  These files work on my Mac and not my HP (windows vista). 

• 9. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black

Have you got all AE CS5.5 updates installed on your HP?

Have you got latest Quicktime updates installed on your HP?

(MAKE SURE IT'S QT 7.7.2, NOT A QT X!)

Have you got any third party codec installed on your HP?

What codec is inside of your .MOV files? (if you're not sure, but can e.g. import them into PrPro, select a file in PrPro Project pane, right-click and choose 'Properties')

You may also want to check this Todd's blogpost about troubleshooting QT issues with After Effects before we move further.

• 10. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black

OMG!!!!  I figured it out!  Only took me 3 whole days!  It was a error on our part.  Saving between Mac and HP.  You have to be careful how you save your files on the Mac if you're transfering to the HP or any other computer and vice versa.  My counterpart was saving files and folders with a /.  As we all know you can NEVER save any files on a HP (windows base pc) with any of these characters.  I went in and simply deleted these characters and BAM, everything works perfectly!!!  Dynamic link pulls up fine in BOTH Premiere and AE!  Success!!!  Thank you so much for your assistance thouh Fuzzy_Barsik.  I really appreciate it!

• 11. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black

Not at all...

Since you finally resolved the issue I'm going to bed with a light heart...

• 12. Re: Dynamic link in AE is blank/black
                                JSS1138 Community Member

My counterpart was saving files and folders with a /.

I'm a little surprised that works on a Mac, which is Unix based and, like Windows and Linux, uses the / to represent the directory structure.