• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a Captivate v5.5 "User Manual" out there ??

Contributor ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there is "help" available when working in Captivate but I prefer to have a easy to "read and reach" manual in order to self-educate and get get me out of situations as they arise.

I have used Brenda Huettner's excellent "Definitive Guides" for v3 and V4 but I hear from her today she is not going to create a "Definitive Guide" for v5.5

Does anyone know of any alternative comprehensive easy to understand "User Manual" for v5.5?

Noel

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

Did you try the 'Foundations' of Rick Stone? It is not a written book, it is an e-book but could perhaps help to get you started. It is for Captivate 5.0 but a lot is also valid for CP5.5:

http://www.gooberguides.com/products/captivate/captivate-5-foundations/

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

I am reluctant to purchase something that covers a previous version ( I need v5.5 not v5), unless of course v5.5 is really not too different to v5 ??

Maybe if Rick is reading this thread he could advise me...

Maybe he is in the process of creating something for v5.5.

I might try and contact him via his website - just in case.

Joyeux Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2011 Dec 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understanding why you are reluctant. You could have a look on Kevin Siegel's site, he offers trainings and has books.

A really very complete manual is not around AFAIK, even those for 'advanced users' are not that advanced but that is only my personal opinion of course. I gave up buying books, because either I find a lot of bugs in them or I do not find what I'm looking for.

Lilybiri

PS BTW I'm not French speaking, but Dutch is my native tongue: Prettige feestdagen, Noel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilibiri,

I have left a note on Rick's website to see what he has to say about using his v5 manual for v5.5.

I will also check out Kevin's site, as you suggest.

NEL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel

As Lilybiri states, there really isn't a "complete" manual to my knowledge. What you will find with my guide as well as the one offered by Iconlogic is not an exhaustive explanation of all features in Captivate. These guides are intended to help folks learn how to use the application.

The problem with exhaustive guides (and even these training guides) is that an incredible amount of effort goes into them with seemingly very little return. So you end up with a negative return on investment. Often, by the time something exhaustive is created, the effort is rendered useless because Adobe has issued yet another version that folks clamor to and largely ignore the older versions.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

OK...time for you to put your honest hat on please Rick.

I have worked for sometime now with Captivate v4 so am pretty familiar in regards creating projects etc in Captivate.

I am now about to upgrade to v5.5 (not v5).

My question is: Would your guide for v5 meet the majority of what I am going to know in regards to v5.5 ?

Such as explaining the new look/feel of v5.5 and pointing me in the right directing in regards the basic project creation or does v5.5 differ so greatly from v5 that any guide on a v5 guide would be of little help?

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a list of what was updated from 5.0 to 5.5:  http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/features._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_features+by+version_sl_New+...

and http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/features._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_features+by+version_sl_new+...

For me the biggest benefit was gradients, shadows, and rotations - I didn't have to build simple graphics externally and import them.  I can draw those gradient boxes and put shadows on captions now.

My opinion:  there was so little different in 5.5 that a 5.0 book would be 'good enough.'

The company handed me "Rapid Development with Adobe Captivate 5 for Windows" (Daniel Novak w/ Mary Burkart) when we rolled out.  It's pretty good, but more for someone who is not familiar with Captivate alrady.  And, like Lilybiri said, it's not advanced enough for me.  Your mileage may vary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the information.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Migue,

The link keeps coming up with a time out message. Does it work OK for you ?

If the link takes you to the "Using Adobe Captivate 5.0 and 5.5" usermanual in PDF, then I have already got that.

Thanks anyway...

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, It's that document. I know the delay but for other "searchers" perhaps It would be useful.

See you

Migue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Migue again,

It is a good user manual and one that I am sure others will get benefit from.

I refer to my copy all the time.

Thanks for posting the link.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

www.iconlogic.com has books on the various versions of Captivate and they include practical exercises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources