Exit

RH 10 Index Links don't work

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2012 Aug 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have just downloaded RH 10 for trial.

I have created a WebHelp project from a Word 2010 Manual.

Two questions so far.... 

1. Index links don't work.

2. Search (tab) doesn't work. Points to the manual.

What have I been doing wrong/not doing...?

TIA,

Ofer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing from the fact that this is your first post that you are new to RoboHelp rather than just RoboHelp 10.

To be able to help you, we are going to need rather more information than you have given.

Did you link the document or did you import it?

The fact that your search is pointing to the document suggests your process is flawed. I am wondering if maybe you have just created a hyperlink to the Word document, that is not the same as Linking from the File menu.

Have you seen the instructions on my site about those processes for RoboHelp 9? The process is pretty much unchanged.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In addition to Peter's and Rick questions: What do you want to accomplish? Do you want to make an ebook with a Captivate demo for Kindle? Or do you want to make a video that can be played on the Kindle Fire?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing  of the sort 

I am only trying to convert some word manuals to Web Help format -- for use on the internet.

Regards,

Ofer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First post here. Right !

New to Robohelp in general.

I imported the file.

Actually, I am creating (endeavoring to…) 3 Web help projects – from 3 different manuals, written in Word 2010.

All3 manuals were written, using the same template.

One help file has generated a proper linked index

The other two generated an index, where all the links lead to the cover page.

In all projects, the Search option (tab) does not work properly. The searched strings are marked – but I am expecting a linked list of locations…

Regards,

Ofer Goren,

Write-On-Time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reply, there is a camera icon in the toolbar. Use that to insert a screenshot of what you are seeing.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may not be getting all your mail…

Please tell me what you need.

Ofer Goren,

Write-On-Time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then please follow via the web.

You said "In all projects, the Search option (tab) does not work properly. The searched strings are marked – but I am expecting a linked list of locations…"

Please screenshot that. You can only add screenshots via the web, not email.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it  

The attached shows what I get as a rsult from the Search function.

Regards,

Search1.png

Ofer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I can guess what is wrong here. The search is saying that only one topic contains that word. I suspect that when you imported you only created one topic.

In the workflow for importing there is a button under Word Documents that is labelled Edit.

By default the whole document will import as one topic, If you click Edit you will be able apply Paginate against styles and RoboHelp will create separate topics based on that. So if you paginate at Heading 1 and there is only one such heading in the document, you will only get one topic, if there are five such headings, you will get five topics. You can paginate against any style.

This is all explained in the topic I pointed you to earlier.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK....

Thinking...

Can I re-import the manual/replace the generated files?

Or

Is it advisable to start anew?

Regards,

Ofer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trash the old import and start over.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter.

GREAT help !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp