• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe QT32 Server.exe seems to hang

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Production Premium CS5 has always worked fine for editing DV content. But I've just graduated to AVCHD format (from and Olympus OM-D E-M5), and have problems with scrubbing and been unable export reliably. The common thread seems to be that, when things go awry, the "Adobe QT32 Server.exe" is chewing large amounts of CPU and never exits. Sometimes Premiere crashes, sometimes it just hangs (Not Responsive) and I have to kill it.

It's a pretty simple experiment: I have about 35 minutes of clips. I automate them to the timeline. Problem 1:

• Most of the clips display properly in the timeline, with a thumbnail. But some just display a green square. A few clips after the green square also show no thumbnail.
  • I don't believe it's the source material. Frequently, the problem shows up on the same clips. But sometimes not. I've put the affected clips into their own timeline, and they display fine. All the clips play fine in the Source window.
  • I've tried with Mercury playback enabled or disabled. No effect.

Problem 2:

• Scrubbing works fine for awhile, then stops. Wait a minute, and scrubbing works again. "Adobe QT32 Server.exe" is chewing 13% or so of CPU.
  • If I close or kill premiere, the server stays running, and I need to kill it.
  • The clips with the green thumbnails are no different than the others, when scrubbing.

Problem 3, Exporting via the media encoder:

• Chugs along fine, for 5-10 minutes. Then the preview window goes green. A few minutes later, the export fails with "Unknown error".
  • It's completely random. I've watched to see where the problem starts, then split the timeline before the problem. Retry with the new, shorter timeline, and it crashes in a different spot.
  • Again, "Adobe QT32 Server.exe" is chewing CPU, and often it doesn't exit when I close the media encoder.

The machine is an i7-960 with 24G of RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce 560 Ti. Lots of RAM and CPU. Several disks, but no RAID. I've tried moving the media cache to SSD - no change.

As I say, I've turned Mercury on/off, with no effect.

I've completely deregistered, uninstalled, restarted computer, reinstalled, reregistered CS5. No effect.

Aaargh!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Although that camera records to H.264, it's not AVCHD, which is a very specific subset of the H.264 spec.  Further, it records H.264 to MOV files, which forces Pr to use its own Quicktime importer in a 64-bit environment.  Apple's Quicktime is still 32-bit, which is why Adobe had to come up with their own 64-bit importer for some QT codecs.  NB: I'm assuming you're using Windows 7 64-bit based on clues that you left in your post, but you didn't say.  If you're using another operating system, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although that camera records to H.264, it's not AVCHD, which is a very specific subset of the H.264 spec.  Further, it records H.264 to MOV files, which forces Pr to use its own Quicktime importer in a 64-bit environment.  Apple's Quicktime is still 32-bit, which is why Adobe had to come up with their own 64-bit importer for some QT codecs.  NB: I'm assuming you're using Windows 7 64-bit based on clues that you left in your post, but you didn't say.  If you're using another operating system, then my advice may change. 

Try changing the file extension of the .mov files to .mp4.  You might be able to get Pr to use its H.264 importer instead of the Quicktime importer, which should give you better results.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Win 7 64. The camera manual isn't particularly helpful, wrt which formats the camera is generating. Which preset should I use?

• HDV 1080i30 (60i)?
  • I've been using AVCHD 1080i30 (60i)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can quickly say that seems to have resolved problems 1 and 2. Will take awhile to test the export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting worked too. My faith in adobe is restored! Sure wish I'd asked, before fighting with it so much.

Thanks for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just drag a clip from the Project Panel to the New Item icon at the bottom of the panel.  It will automatically create a proper sequence for the clip.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I'm experiencing this issue as well. It just started happening recently as I've edited a few videos with Pr. I'm on a Mac (specs below):

Model Name:          MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:          MacBookPro9,1

Processor Name:          Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:          2.7 GHz

Number of Processors:          1

Total Number of Cores:          4

L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB

L3 Cache:          8 MB

Memory:          8 GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2013 Feb 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But why is this program is 32 bit instead of 64?

Can we avoid using 32 bit exporter buy installing QTlite codec for windows instead of regular QuickTime?

The problem I have is strange, but... All 32 bit apps hungs my system. And this server too. And the same time I can't refuse using mov.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe QT32 Server.exe" is an essential part for the Adobe applications to launch.

And there is a instance of it running for Premiere, AE and Media Encoder each.

Killing it is not the solution as it is used by all these applications.

Can try to reset the preferences and check if that works. Also right click on the application and choose" Run as administrator ".

Also can try to create a new user account t see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Killing it is not the solution as it is used by all these applications.

Unless you don't use QuiRcktime ever, then it can safely be killed. Who is interested in using SLOWtime or QuiRcktime when it destroys the 64 bit nature of PR, I wonder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, killing it was essential, as it was non-responsive. Often, it took Premiere with it. And it didn't shut down once Premiere closed down.

Following Jeff's recommendation and renaming the files .mov->.mp4 solved everything. "Adobe QT32 Server.exe" is still running, but it isn't doing anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following Jeff's recommendation and renaming the files .mov->.mp4 solved everything. "Adobe QT32 Server.exe" is still running, but it isn't doing anything

apart from using CPU cycles and stealing memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines