You don't say which project settings you selected when you first set up your project or if your photos were sized to no larger than 1000x750 -- but these things can play a role in how the program performs.
My suggest would be to see if you get the same result when you Share/Computer/AVI.
If the AVI is in perfect sync, then there's an easy workaround.
- Ah. Sorry about that! I know just enough about this program to get a headache
Stills were larger than 1000x750.
Sizes of imported photos: 4288x2848, 2848x4288
Editing Mode = HDV 1080i
Timebase = 29.97 frames/second
Playback settings = Desktop video display during playback (checked), External Device (none), 24p Conversion Method (Interlaced Frame), Aspect Ratio Conversion (Hardware if supported, Desktop Audio radio button selected), Export (external device = none), Disable video output when in the background (checked).
Frame size = 1440 x 1080
Pixel Aspect Ratio = HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)
Fields = Upper Field First
Display Format = 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode
Title Safe Area = 20 & 20
Action Safe Area = 10 & 10
Sample Rate = 48,000 Hz
Display Format = Audio Samples
Capture Format = HDV
Video Rendering = Maximum Bit Depth (unchecked)
File Format = I-Frame Only MPEG
Compressor = MPEG I-Frame
Optimize Stills = Checked
I’m not sure how to share or export as .avi.
Welcome to the forum.
First, a couple of questions:
- Do you have any Video in your Project, or is it all still images?
- What is your ultimate delivery scheme, i.e. to you plan to go to BD (Blu-ray Disc), DVD-Video, streaming video on the Web, etc.?
If you ONLY have stills, and no Video, then your choice of Project Preset will be determined by that delivery scheme. When one incorporates Video, things change, and one would then base their Project Preset to match that Video.
Please let us know a bit more about what you are starting with (Stills only, or mixed with Video), and what you need to end up with.
Given that you have ONLY Still Images, and are going to deliver via DVD-Video, I would start a DV Project (NTSC, or PAL, depending on where you live) and either Widescreen 16:9, or Standard 4:3 (your choice). That will give you either a 29.97, or 25 FPS Timeline (NTSC = 29.97 and PAL = 25).
I would use Steve's advice on Scaling the Still Images, and there are some tips on batch Scaling in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, in that first article that John T. linked to.
I like your workflow of using Audio 1 for your soundtrack, as some users have had issues with either/both of the two Fixed Audio Tracks, Soundtrack, and Narration. Though those problems seem to be Project-specific, there have been enough reported, and the "fix" has almost always been to just use a blank "regular" Audio Track. I do that now, totally out of habit, even though I never had any issues with Soundtrack, or Narration.
When going to DVD-Video, I almost always do some testing of my Project, before I burn the DVD-Video for delivery. I will Burn to Folder, and use a software DVD player to test that VIDEO_TS folder (with the VOB, IFO and BUP files). If that looks good, and works well, I then will Burn a Disc to an RW disc (rewritable), and test that. I do NOT deliver on an RW, as some players cannot handle those. For the RW, since I already have the VIDEO_TS foler, and it tested good, I will probably use the free burning utility, ImgBurn, to do the burn to disc (first an RW and if that tests well on my many players, a final delivery disc to either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden blank media).
I also use another program for authoring, so there is another step for me. I Export/Share my Timeline to DV-AVI w/ 48KHz 16-bit, and Import that into my authoring program, Adobe Encore. If one was using another authoring program, the exact format/CODEC, that they Export/Share to, might differ, and be specific to what THAT authoring program wants. That might be to an MPEG-2 DVD file, or perhaps to a DV-AVI, like I do.
Good luck, and let us know if you sync is maintained better with that method.
My first try (using resized PSD files and NTSC Standard 4:3) produced the same result. But...I created an export preset and increased the video quality (MainConcept MPEG Video CODEC) to 5. This time everything synched. Of course, I only have about 30 stills in it (didn't want to do all the work for naught). I'll continue my adventure and see if I can get the whole thing to come out right.
I can't thank you guys enough for the help! I'll post back my final result.
Well, it went well. I got a finished product I can live with! Thank you all very much for your time.
I've seen the topic of beat detection beaten to death in various forums, but I will say that, judging by what I've read and tried, beat detection is dysfunctional. I've been fiddling with a song with a pronounced beat, and the app just doesn't do what one would expect it should - Put a marker at key beats.
For short shows slide shows I've been manually placing my photos. I'd hoped to create a single slideshow with all 1,800+ stills from a wedding and have the slides cycle through very quickly to some fast-paced music. Beat detection would've made this work. :-(
I have to admit that I have never used Beat Detection. Instead, I use the * key on the numeric keypad, to add Markers, and edit to those. If I miss the beat by a bit, the Markers can be adjusted by hand.
I also find that zooming in on the Timeline in the horizontal axis, and then click+dragging the Audio Track, to get some vertical zoom, helps me to see the beats in the Audio, and I can then adjust MY Markers, if I was off by a bit.
Just not sure about Beat Detection, but some other users have been a bit less, than impressed too.