1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2013 12:33 PM by mommysalame RSS

CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

SlamDesi Community Member

I think it's safe to say that myself, and other Mac users of CS6 products, aren't really thrilled with the new Windows look.  It reminds me of when I was forced to use a Windows machine and early versions of Illustrator and Photoshop on said hardware. A reocurring nightmare.

If there's an Adobe rep monitoring this, can you please tell me "Why?" and, more importantly, is there a way to get the old Mac GUI back?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
          BobLevine CommunityMVP

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but no, you can't change it.

Bob

• 2. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

I'm not mad, Bob, just disappointed.  I'm sure I'll get over it.  I can't imagine, though, users adding that to their list of upgrades for future CS6 editions.  Thanks for the prompt reply.

• 3. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
              Steve Werner CommunityMVP

I'm a long time Mac user, and I have a hard time understanding what UI change happened in CS6 that made the Mac version of CS products look like Windows. I'm mystified.

The only major UI change was the dark interface, but you can change the lightness/darkness in the preferences of each application where that change was made.

• 4. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

I guess you're not looking very hard.  If you pull up either Illustrator or Photoshop you'll see a stark absence of any depth to the palettes or toolbars.  I have an office right next to a Windows (and former CorelDraw) devotee and HE doesn't even like the CS6 interface.  And, specifically, he doesn't think much of the light-to-dark preference setting.  So, I'd suggest that you look back at the CS5 interface and then consider your "only major UI change" comment.

As I said before, I'll get used to.  It's just not nearly as pleasing as it once was.

Thanks, Steve.

• 5. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

Each to their own. I have no problem with it.

• 6. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                    BobLevine CommunityMVP

I’m a bit curious. As someone who uses Windows and Mac, I really don’t get where this Windows-like UI reference is coming from.

Bob

• 7. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

Take a screen shot of the CS5 (Mac) Illustrator toolbar, then do the same with the Photoshop toolbar.  Switch to CS6 and repeat.  Then, call up the tool bars side-by-side and take a look.  If you use Windows on a regular basis, you may be numb to it.  It was worth mentioning but I don't think anything will revert back to the way it was before CS6.  I'll get used to it.

• 8. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                        tim.hughes Community Member

I agree with SlamDesi, also wonder why the UI changes aren't consistant throughout the whole package...

• 9. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                          BobLevine CommunityMVP

As things move forward I believe you’ll see that happen.

Not all of the apps have been decarbonized, yet.

Bob

• 10. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

Thanks, Tiim.  Bob's comment "Not all apps have been decarbonized, yet" must mean that, eventually, they'll all have that Bill Gates look.  Happy Independence Day, Gentlemen.

• 11. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                              BobLevine CommunityMVP

Now now…no reading into anything.  It’s just a simple observation.

There are things than can be done with cocoa apps that cannot be done with carbon.

Bob

• 12. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                despoth Community Member

That's a pity. But CS6 gui on mac looks terribly. Especially with layers palette. It was very easy to locate needful layer on palette in previous versions of PS. My eyes quickly determined which layers are visible and which aren't. But now I cannot see it at my first quick look. I need to deailly look at layer bars on palette because there's ugly small squares near invisible layers, and that squares looks almost the same "gray spot" as an "eye" icon, so if I look at palette quickly, I see no difference. Also all icons on various palettes now looks too flat and sharp as on Windows versions, and I don't like this way. I have a Mac, I like my Mac and I prefer to see MacOS style palettes. Also, the vaunted Mercury Engine often works slower on 27" Mac with i5 and 8Gb. Why? This new NON-mac GUI style is terrible. There is only a reason I prefer use CS5 and don't want to buy CS6 And I afraid Adobe have now a new way and will not return old style of icons and palettes. And it is a very very very huge sadness.

• 13. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

Is the GUI the result of decarbonizing?

I have another question if I may... When CS5 came out, Placed EPS files within Illustrator (specifically duotones created in Photoshop) would open within Illustrator when clicking on the Edit Original icon in the Links palette instead of the software of origin.

If one uses Get Info to utilize the "Open With..." selector, it then Opens ALL EPS files with the software you select instead of being able to differentiate between Illustrator and Photoshop.

Is there a way to get the old way back via some preference setting or a similar Get Info-like command?

Thanks.

• 14. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                    BobLevine CommunityMVP

I think you may want to pop over to the Illustrator forum for that, one.

Bob

• 15. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

Thanks, Bob.  Will do.

• 16. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

OK. I thought that I'd have a look at the two UIs side by side. I opened up a PS sample file with layers (since "despoth" said that that was a problem) and make screen captures in CS5 and CS6. I set the UI in CS6 to light background so they would be similar (which I prefer anyway).  Here's what they look like side-by-side (double-click the image to see it at full size):

SideBySide.jpg

Yes, the icons at the bottom are flatter in CS6 (they lose the dropshadow).  I find the layer names easier to read (larger type). I like that the panel tabs are upper/lower case instead of all caps. I don't get the problem of seeing which ways are hidden; seems pretty clear to me.

All in all, I like the look. It's definitely not going backwards so I suggest you get used to it. Sorry for the bad news.

• 17. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                          tim.hughes Community Member

interesting, anyone elses cursor changed slightly aswell, bigger/smaller regarding different tools?

that, I don't like!

• 18. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                            despoth Community Member

It's overall feeling. Look on that screenshot. "Eye" icon is smaller and with less brightness than in CS5. And empty box under "eye" icon now is raised in CS6 instead embossed down in CS5. Triangle arrows are again smaller. And "folder" icons are smaller too and are flat with no gradients and slim shadow.  So all that things makes overall layers palette more sharper but less brighter, and layer groups, visible and invisible layers looks the same, the difference between them is ugly.

p.s. Sorry for my bad English.

• 19. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

Beauty and ugliness are in the eye of the beholder.

As you can see when you observe some married couples. :-)

• 20. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

Two good points, Steve.  Regardless, I don't know many Mac users who are going to stand back and say "I like what they've done here" - in regards to the toolbar and palettes. We'll all have to get used to it; the performance wasn't affected at least.

To Tiim and Despoth, my comrades in arms, thanks for the verification. I thought I was losing it there for a bit.

• 21. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                  MichaelKazlow CommunityMVP

I spent a decade wishing for a modern interface for FrameMaker, eventually FrameMaker got the CS Suite interface redesign. I was not a happy camper. But I use it. I think most of the differences (but not all) are just us getting used to change. It is not a Windows/Mac thing, but a change thing. The subtle changes remind us that things are not like they were. We are comfortable as things were.

Not all change is good, but change in itself is good. It gets us out of our comfort zones and makes us rethink what we have been doing. Not everyone likes change.

Having said that, I still hate the MS Office Ribbons . But when I go back to using what I remember liking so much more it now takes me more time than it did before to get things done. Is it Ribbons are better, or just the new what I am used to.

• 22. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                    scape.goat Community Member

I'm a little dissapointed in the Illustrator palettes especially as well.  They are not constistent with the other Suite's GUIs.  I set up PS and InDesign palettes to fit nicely in my workspace but when I got to Illustrator it seems the palettes are much wider and taller and it would seem for no good reason.  The info in the palettes is just more spread out -very much just a waste of crucial real estate.  I am now forced to build a completely different workspace which does seem to go backwards to me.

• 23. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                      SpamInAcan Community Member

I've been working like crazy lately and just got around to installing this on my MAC. I have to say I don't really care for the new look. The problem I have is that I don't like that every started out bond to a box like a typical Windows program right off the bat. I have both a PC and a MAC. I miss the freedom that my old CS programs seemed to have when it came to my project windows. I'll show you a picture of what I'm talking about. Before i had freedom to move my project windows to another screen and everything i was looking for would be on another. Now it's bond to a box. Yes, I can move the project out of that box, but the box never goes away. It just sits there like it was clumsily forgotten about. Oh well, I guess I'll get used to it.

Screen shot 2012-08-22 at 9.05.08 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-08-22 at 9.12.24 PM.png

• 24. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

@Spaminacan,

The feature you're talking about is called the Application Frame. You're showing us screen captures of Photoshop CS6 where it is turned on by default. But you can turn it off in Window > Application Frame. It's a option, and is not required on a Mac.

• 25. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                          SpamInAcan Community Member

Steve you are awesome! I'd been trying to find that all day and gave up. Glad I came back to look at your reply. Thanks man!

• 26. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                            matt-dd Community Member

I think the new GUI is a step backwards for Mac users. It feels as though there is less contrast between icons and it's panel, plus less free space around the icon/name within it's panel (despite monitor sizes increasing.)

I especially don't like the new save screens as they background grey is too dark and again, the type is smaller and the contrast feels reduced, plus the mono styling does not give a quick reference for which options are checked (or not.)

Complaining may not fix anything, but I feel better for having done it.

*Edit*

My complaints are centred on Illustrator and Photoshop.

Message was edited by: matt-dd

• 27. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                              blakeramsey Community Member

I find the same thing in the Windows version of ID. 

Would be nice to see posts that are helpful and not so pissy.  I wonder if most of you have jobs...

Supposedly the Mac interface can be changed if you don't like it by simply going to the preferences and adjusting the 'brightness'.

Too bad for us Windows users that at the cost of several thousand $$$ that we can't access the same customization.

If anyone has really helpful insight into this, please reply.

• 28. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

I rarely check in on this GUI string but, your "jobless" comment caught my attention.  I'm confident most posters in these forums are employed and concerned with their investment.  Personally, I've been using Adobe products since the first version of Illustrator and Photoshop and have invested in thousands of dollars in Adobe's software.  What I expect in return for that is a semblance of representation - that representation being here in these forums.  Do we expect Adobe to step-n-fetch?  No, but like matt-dd metions, it's nice to be able to voice the concern(s).  Sometimes those pissy comments result in some helpful answers.

• 29. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                                  sonofmrsnak Community Member

yet have nothing to do with the GUI...

• 30. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                                    Joe Duhamel Community Member

I hate it. Major step backwards, and it's aggravating to my sensibilities. It's not the light/darkenss, it's the redesign of tools and palettes. Normally I've appreciated how the GUI evovled over the past 22 years I've been using Adobe products. How well you handle the GUI is part of your productivity. I'll say straight up - I have to get used to the new angled Pen Tool (among other things), and I simply don't care for it. This may sound pissy, but needless changes like these that actually do affect productivity should never even be considered.

I'm happy that many of you have no problem with it or do not even recognize the difference. Not sure how others in the visual arts don't notice it, but I sure do. I might stick with CS5.5 for awhile. It wouldn't be the first time I stuck with older software for productivity reasons.

But, just curious, does anyone know of a way, like the old ResEdit tricks, to put the interface "back" to the earlier ways?

• 31. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                                      LPembroke Community Member

Just installed CS6 and sorry guys, the interface is overall clunky and unappealing.  Feels like 1988. I have used your software since V1 (photoshop had no undo's!), so it is a disappointment after all these years that you have stepped backwards in interface design.

• 32. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                                        BobLevine CommunityMVP

As a reminder...you are speaking to other Adobe software users here, not Adobe.

If you wish to make you feelings heard, do it here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Bob

• 33. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

Much better to discuss this publically, than have it go to a closed venue, since Adobe will not respond or comment anyway.

• 34. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                                            BobLevine CommunityMVP

Knock yourself out. Just trying to help.

Bob

• 35. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                                              matt-dd Community Member

Bob, I think it's fair to say we're ******** to other disgruntled Adobe software users.

• 36. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                                                BobLevine CommunityMVP

Like I said, knock yourselves out.

Bob

• 37. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly

Both places are the best. Always healthier to see how the community really feels rather than through a PR filter. I'm not getting good buzz from many in my local design community. Most are concerned mostly about the push towards subscriptions. Most I know feel that Adobe does not listen well. The Dreamweaver GUI has needed serious work ever since Adobe got it from Macromedia.

• 38. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                                                    matt-dd Community Member

I sent a link to this thread via the Feature Request Form.

• 39. Re: CS6 Interface (GUI) Ugly
                                                                                      MarxyMarx Community Member

Steve,

You see, to have gone our of your way to select the interface elements with the least amount of change. I too noticed the terrible flatness and ugnlyness of the CS6 interface. As a Mac user what is really noticible is that Adobe has opted to invent their own buttons, rather than use the ones provided by the OS. It's incongruent.

Also, I've been to your web site. Let's talk about design.

1 2 Previous Next