• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: InDesign CS5 Out of memory error on a new imac with 16GB RAM

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have iMac 16GB ram. I get the out of memory reasonably often. I have font management, mainly Adobe apps open and Word. I work with magazines, so around 36 - 48 pages. Save As doesn't do anything for this problem (yes it is a good practice and it is good to regularly do this). Saving to InDesign Markup doesn't alleviate this problem. Also it doesn't seem changing preferences for Live Screen Drawing works. I find mine has got worse since installing Lion, but I have also had this problem since CS5 - I can't remember if it happened in CS4. Currently I have 4GB RAM spare but InDesign thinks otherwise. It drives me mad. Keep complaining and please Adobe do something about this one, there are a number of people complaining.
By the way anyone that solves this problem on the forum should get a prize from Adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(would someone care to branch this thread?)

Ketrinz:

Do you have a reproducible test case? That's a great thing to have. It sonuds like happens often to you.

You don't specify what version you're using; please do be explicit -- hold down Command and select About InDesign and you'll get four decimal digits. Also, how often is "reasonably often"? How many times/day during what sort of work?

16GB of RAM isn't directly helpful. Because InDesign is a 32-bit application, it can never use more than 4GB of RAM.

Ironically (for me), we have been seeing a similar problem infrequently, I think three instances this calendar year. It has been difficult to track down, and I haven't been able to get good information from Adobe Developer Support on how to track down the memory usage of different parts of InDesign, somewhat to my frustration.

When you next encounter this, in addition to the summary information from Activity Monitor I ask for above, you can try opening Terminal.app and enter: vmmap -wide "Adobe InDesign"

Save the output and upload it to http://pastebin.com/ and post a link here. It may help to give us some idea of what is going on (but it may not).

What Font Management software are you using? Does any of it use InDesign plugins? Can you try temporarily disabling those plugins?

I assume you've not discused the problem with Adobe Support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for answering John.

Today I am having so much trouble, at least 10 messages, tried quitting InDesign no joy. I have just rebooted, so we will see how it goes. I wonder if there is a correlation between the background tasks i.e. creating a PDF, that happened today as well.

I am using system 7.0.4.553

and InD 10.7.3.

I used to have "out of memory" message infrequently, but it has just bumped up significantly recently.

I have just installed Drop Box. I don't know of any issues with that.

IND just hung again when trying to create a PDF. Stopping the background tasks never works - so it is a force quit. Will let you know if it goes out of memory again.

Cheers

Cheryl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to have a lot of similar problems when creating documents with lots of text and large images - similar to a magazine. I managed to speed up InD by turning off the 'Live Preflight' which helped significantly. Any live spell checking etc can also slow it down.

Are you placing the images at actual size or are you bringing in larger images and then scaling down inside InD? This can seriously affect the size of the InD file and will lead to it 'running out of memory' as it tries to render the content - especially if you view in High Quality Display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rik

I always have Preflight off. Although now I have installed Lion it seems to pop up when I open a document.

I don't use Dynamic spelling.

I AM placing the images as they come, which never caused a problem, I don't feel like editing the images before they get approval, although this could happen if I had to. It is usually a quick put together and then the OK.

I don't view in High Quality Display. I do check quickly on Overprint preview and then off again. It takes a lot of RAM.

John's statement "16GB of RAM isn't directly helpful. Because InDesign is a 32-bit application, it can never use more than 4GB of RAM." put things in perspective for me.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird, somehow I didn't get the email notifications for this thread.

Today I am having so much trouble, at least 10 messages, tried quitting InDesign no joy. I have just rebooted, so we will see how it goes. I wonder if there is a correlation between the background tasks i.e. creating a PDF, that happened today as well.

That certainly seems plausible.

I'm not totally sure what the status of all those PDF export hang -related problems is. I think there are still some known issues in 7.0.4.553 that we hope will see future fixes.

When you say:

IND just hung again when trying to create a PDF. Stopping the background tasks never works - so it is a force quit. Will let you know if it goes out of memory again.

I assume you mean that InDesign as a whole was not hung, merely the PDF creation background task?

In any event, probably the first step is to disabe background PDF exports per http://indesignsecrets.com/a-new-workaround-for-that-pesky-background-export-issue.php.

Next, if you continue to encounter such problems, fire up Activity Monitor and select InDesign.

First run Sample Process and save the output.

Next, instead of Force Quitting, use View > Send SIgnal: Abort (SIGABRT). You'll get a crash report.

Upload both the sample output and the crash report to http://pastebin.com/ and post the links here.

Just to be clear, the OS can use the 16GB, so it is not valueless. That extra RAM can help ensure that other apps do not contend with ID for memory and improve performance. But it won't help keep ID from running out of memory...

Generally speaking ID should never need more than 4GB. If it does, something is wrong. Obviously something is wrong here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much John - didn't know about disabling background tasks. That is now done. I did get an out of memory message straight afterwards, but went into Terminal and pasted info but did not work. Was on my way out and in a hurry, so probably me.

We'll see how this goes. Thank you so so much for your input.

Will read your next instructions properly shortly. I have never noticed IND using more than 2 GB ram but will keep an eye on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much John - didn't know about disabling background tasks. That is now done. I did get an out of memory message straight afterwards

Did you restart InDesign after doing disabling background exports and before getting the memory message?

but went into Terminal and pasted info but did not work. Was on my way out and in a hurry, so probably me.

Huh. Well, please do feel free to try it anytime InDesign is running even when it's not broken. The details of the output won't be interesting to me, but if it fails to give you a few pages of output, hopefully it will give you an error message you can post here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry John - I was rushing when I wrote this input. I disabled the background tasks today. That has only just been done and yes I restarted.

The out of memory messages were from yesterday.

Will not be setting until Monday now, so I will work IND hard then and see what happens. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, I've also started having this problem, but I've found out something that you might have missed.

It's not system memory that it's out of, it's video memory.

I've got iStat menus installed and one of the handy statistics that this displays is the GPU's memory usage, every time I got this error the GPU memory usage was full.

Unfortunately it doesn't tell you what is using the video memory, but I don't think it's specifically an Indesign problem, as the GPU usage is rather high just sat idling at desktop. Something in the system is either leaking memory, or not freeing it up once it's no longer needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DeM0B: Interesting, can you include a screenshot?

I am a bit skeptical, because my understanding is that InDesign makes no use of the GPU. This understanding comes with a 75% confidence factor, so it could easily be wrong.

I know very little about GPU instrumentation, though. But surely this will depend on your GPU. So what GPU, what graphics card, and perhaps most importantly, how much VRAM?

Also, what other potential GPU-using apps are running simultaneously? Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Final Cut, CAD software, etc.?

These are questions for both Ketrinz and DeM0B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John - I only run Photoshop out of that selection. I am hoping it was the background tasks for me. I was having an issue running slow yesterday and then all of a sudden InDesign took off and worked well. I will check it out if it happens again. I forgot to see if my auto backup was working at the time. Otherwise I will have to establish what background tasks are happening that I don't know about. I do usually have a lot of apps open while working Photoshop, Bridge, Illustrator, Mail, Acrobat and Word. I am keeping more of an eye on my memory at the moment. Just a question re Activity Monitor: if I am low on the Free memory Green, does the Inactive memory Blue kick in. My understanding is that Inactive memory is for recent tasks that they can kick into this area again and re-establish the currently used memory. So far so good though - no out of memory issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that the GPU theory is really just a theory. It might not be born out. We'll have to see.

I am keeping more of an eye on my memory at the moment. Just a question re Activity Monitor: if I am low on the Free memory Green, does the Inactive memory Blue kick in. My understanding is that Inactive memory is for recent tasks that they can kick into this area again and re-establish the currently used memory. So far so good though - no out of memory issues.

Honestly, I doubt that it is important to keep an eye on system memory. I guess I wasn't quite so clear in my post from March 7th. InDesign's out-of-memory error here does not mean that that the operating system does not have sufficient memory to allocate to InDesign. Even if all your RAM showed up as Yellow/Red ("Active" and "Wired") in the Activity Monitor pie-chart, then running InDesign would cause the operating system to page out some other application to disk, freeing up the memory. This paging operation might be somewhat slow (seconds), and if that other app is actively trying to do something, you might encounter performance thrashing as a program is continuously being paged to disk and then paged back in to execute, over and over. But this will result in a significant performance penalty coupled with a lot of disk activity. (and the Page ins and Page outs fields next to the pie chart would show this). It would not result in an Out of Memory condition.

The InDesign out-of-memory error is indicating some inability of InDesign to handle all the demands it has for the 4GB of RAM that is has to itself. Possibly related to mismanagement of that memory or reference-counting bugs. It is also possible that it relates to VRAM, but I don't think that is particularly likely. But I am certainly not an expert on the GPU memory subsystem in OS X.

To answer your question though, yes, the Inactive designator is for programs that are candidates to be paged out because they are not using their memory actively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John that makes it clearer. Must try VRAM again - it didn't want to work properly the other day. Only gave one beep and I got sick of holding keys after a couple of minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ketrinz:

Thanks John that makes it clearer. Must try VRAM again - it didn't want to work properly the other day. Only gave one beep and I got sick of holding keys after a couple of minutes.

Sorry, what? VRAM? Beeps? Holding keys?

I don't understand and didn't recommend any of these things.

I asked you to open Terminal.app and paste in a particular "vmmap" command. No holding keys, no beeps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all good John - just something we used to do years ago - resetting PRAM. Hold Command Option PR on reset. You get three beeps and then let go. This was just part of our housekeeping from years ago. It was just mentioned in the previous post. Apparently it is still good to do it approx monthly, don't know exactly what it clears out. I don't understand the techo stuff too much. I remember what you said with terminal and I will do that if I continue to have probs. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all good John - just something we used to do years ago - resetting PRAM. Hold Command Option PR on reset. You get three beeps and then let go. This was just part of our housekeeping from years ago. It was just mentioned in the previous post. Apparently it is still good to do it approx monthly, don't know exactly what it clears out. I don't understand the techo stuff too much. I remember what you said with terminal and I will do that if I continue to have probs. Thanks again.

Err, no. We were talking about VRAM, or "Video RAM" or "Video memory." It has nothing to do with the PRAM.

Cmd-Option-PR resets the PRAM, or Programmable RAM (basically the same as "NVRAM" or "non-volatile RAM"). It is in fact not a good idae to do it prophylactically, such as monthly. It will reset some settings, and potentially some you do not wish to reset, such as your clock (on some models), or your video card configuration. It's not terribly damaging, but I would not recommend it and it should have no effect whatsoever on InDesign. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379 and the pages it links to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's crazy... I'm working on a catalog and I keep getting the out of memory message (Indesign V7.5). I wish Adobe would fix this in the next update. I also am still having packaging problems in Indesign using helvetivca. At this stage of CS5.5, I shouldn't have to go back to CS4 to get the job done. This is why I am hesitant to use Cloud for software - I need to go back to previous versions to complete my work. Has anyone found a solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have since stopped the PDF from creating in background and have had no problems since. For instructions check out. http://indesignsecrets.com/a-new-workaround-for-that-pesky-background-export-issue.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue but disabling the background did not help. Still get out of memory and there is plenty there in both physical and GPU memory.

Any further ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off your Preflight and just turn it on to do your checks. Preflight mainly just causes crashes when you import some Word documents. Mine was fixed with the background tasks. Have since upgraded to CS6 and no problems using background tasks. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly turing off the preflight was to no avail.

Getting a failed to export the file now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry - it's a pain isn't it.

It sounds so like my background task problem. I would start seeing if it only happens in that one document. Or have you installed other software (other than Lion) that might be conflicting. Just looking at an earlier post. When I installed Lion - I had some font problems. ie Helvetica. Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ HAYMAN DESIGN, are you patched to 7.0.4 (don't believe the update item in the help menu).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7.5.3 CS 5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines