7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2012 8:44 AM by David Cabestany RSS

AE CS6 bug: Can't use any shortcut that includes the C in it

David Cabestany Community Member

A while ago I started having some issues In Illustrator CS6, where I couldn't copy and paste from one document/application to another, the issue later ported itself to AE and not much after that anything including the C key stopped working. For example I can't copy, pre compose or create a camera using shortcuts.

After a lot of troubleshooting I was able to isolate a preference pane who was causing the Illustrator issue, I removed it and AI went back to normal, I assumed After Effects would be fixed too but unfortunately that's not the case, I still can't use the C key.

I ran Onyx thoroughly, trashed AE's prefs, removed some recently acquired scripts, removed some login items and trashed those prefs also (I read a thread that mentioned those items could be causing odd behaviors).

I carefully compared my setup against my laptop, which also has AE CS6 installed and working perfectly, I have the same scripts, the same preferences and the only login items not installed there are the ones that's are grayed out in my imac, so I can't delete them.

If someone can help with this I'll be very grateful, I'm wasting a lot of time trying to solve this thing and I'm very used to using said shortcuts to increase my workflow.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: AE CS6 bug: Can't use any shortcut that includes the C in it
          Andrew Yoole ACP/MVPs

Are you absolutely certain it's not a hardware issue?

• 2. Re: AE CS6 bug: Can't use any shortcut that includes the C in it

In all honesty, no. But since everything else seems to work fine (other software, the letter c working fine in any other application, no panics, etc,) I find a little hard to believe that this could be hardware related, be the keyboard or another component.

Everything was working fine until a few days ago, until I installed the trial version of a desktop manager called Default folder X. I removed it but the issue remained, that's when I started trying with different login itmes, prefs, scripts and so on, so far nothing worked.

I was able to get back one behavior I had also lost, though, I can now invoke the mini-flowchart using the shift key again.

I've given up on this, I will reinstall at lunch, and go through the hassle of adding all my scripts and plug ins again.

I'm 99.99% this is a bug.

• 3. Re: AE CS6 bug: Can't use any shortcut that includes the C in it
              Mylenium ACP/MVPs

You are aware that Default Folder deeply messes with some .conf/.plist files, are you? So rather than reinstalling Adobe apps, you may need to restore those files by repairing your OSX...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: AE CS6 bug: Can't use any shortcut that includes the C in it
                Greg Baber Adobe Employee

I have never heard of this behavior before.  An isolated case on one computer is not a bug.  It's probably a conflict with some other program - Sounds like Mylenium is on the right track with Default Folder.

• 5. Re: AE CS6 bug: Can't use any shortcut that includes the C in it

I learned the hard way. As far as I know I removed every component from Default Folder from my computer, but I don't what else to do to fix my .conf/.plist files other than repairing permissions, restarting in single user mode (fsck) and rebuilding my desktop with Onyx.

What else could I do

Greg, I think it might be a mix of both a bug and a corrupted file due to Default Folder, I experienced some copy issues with Illustrator and the Adobe engineers aknowledged the issue as a bug, they are currently working on it, anyway, bug or no bug, I'm diigin hard to isolate the culprit and get rid of it, I'll email the developers at Default Folder to see what else I need to remove.

• 6. Re: AE CS6 bug: Can't use any shortcut that includes the C in it

I just removed any remaining components of DFX from my computer ysing their uninstaller, the issue is till there.

Is there a tool/terminal command to find specific corrupted .plist and .conf files?

• 7. Re: AE CS6 bug: Can't use any shortcut that includes the C in it

I quit a few other components, a small utility called Shortcut (isn't that ironic?) and another one called MacAppBlocker,

I still can't pre compose any layers using command-shift-c

I was able to create a camera using command-shift-alt-c, after several tries, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

I was being able to copy and paste across different programs and layers all sorts of objects, UNTIL  I opened Illustrator and copied a path, then I pasted it into a solid in AE.

The next time I tried to copy something else, my clipboard got stuck with the path from Illustrator, EVEN inside illustrator.

Greg, as you can see from this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4462265

This is an aknowledged bug from Illustrator, but as I have discovered in the past few days it's affecting everything systemwise, what are the possibilities that the only shortcuts that are failing are those that contain the combination of command-c? And like I said, it starts missbehaving right after I copy a path in Illustrator, not before.

Alright, after some further testing, here's what I found:

I removed (completely deleted) from my computer a small piece of software called WD Quickview, right after I was able to precomp and create cameras in AE.

I still have the copy/paste issue from Illustrator, right after I copy a path, the clipboard goes haywire system wide.

The strange thing is that, such program, WD Quickview has been installed on my computer for over a year now and never had any trouble with it, moreover, I'm not entirely sure how am I going to be able to get into the drive that uses that program (WD force-install that thing with their new drives that come with a new unerasable firmware).

Coincidentally, I haven't plug the drive at all this week, so perhaps the program went crazy when it couldn't find the drive?

Message was edited by: David Cabestany

Ooooops. spoke to soon, this morning the issue came back.

Message was edited by: David Cabestany