8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 4:30 PM by daniels46548219

CS6 Media Browser Problem

LancFM104 Level 1

When using the Media Browser in Premiere Pro to view files in a folder that contains many files (100+), the browser keeps jumping back to the beginning after viewing a few of dozen files.  I then have to scroll back down to the last place I was and then I can continue a little further before the browser jumps back to the beginning again.   The files do not open instantly -- there is a finite time where the message "processing ..." is displayed.  I gave up before getting to the end.   I doubt that I have an under-resourced computer since it is a i7-3770K with 32GB RAM and a GTX670 card.  Is there a limit to the number of files that can be viewed in the Media Browser?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

P.S.  Just did a search on the problem and I see that it is a well known issue.

• 1. Re: CS6 Media Browser Problem
          jstrawn Adobe Employee

Lance, you are experiening an known bug. Please see this post for more info:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4472970#4472970

The workaround is to let all the thumbs generate before scrolling. (cumbersome, I know)

Please add your feedback along into the post mentioned above and you can also file a new bug instance for it at:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 2. Re: CS6 Media Browser Problem
            LancFM104 Level 1

Thanks, the workaround seems to be working.   I submitted a bug report to add my voice to the crowd.

• 3. Re: CS6 Media Browser Problem
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              The workaround is to let all the thumbs generate before scrolling. (cumbersome, I know)

Even that isn't working reliably.  Damn thing just will NOT stop skipping back to the beginning again.  This makes the Media Browser useless in Icon view.  I've had to change it to List view and use Bridge to see the clips, which rather defeats the purpose of the Media Browser entirely.

• 4. Re: CS6 Media Browser Problem
                LancFM104 Level 1

I agree Jim.  I thought the workaround was working, but when trying to view a large number files in another folder, the browser just kept jumping back to the beginning, no matter how long I waited for all the thumbs to generate.

• 5. Re: CS6 Media Browser Problem
                  evan_ms

A year later and this issue still seems to be present in Premiere Pro CC. Any word on a solution?

• 6. Re: CS6 Media Browser Problem
                    CaliPVP Level 1

Not good, still happening

• 7. Re: CS6 Media Browser Problem
                      EdoSensei

Hi guys !

Just wanted to post because we had the same problem on 4 different computers with different configurations.

It was really annoying to have this jumping/refreshing media browser problem. At a point, that this browser was useless.

Then we had a problem with droping sound editing r3d code... Kind of a deal breaker, when the company claims that you can edit 4K r3d files no ?

We finally figured out that the Media Cache and the Media Cache files NEEDS to stay in the original folders (C:\Users\nameofuser\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common).

Even if everybody on the web tells you to dedicate a single SSD just for the media cahe, it won't work for Premiere pro. DON'T MOVE THOSE FOLDERS !

Removing those folders to the original place (C:\Users\nameofuser\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common) [again]  solved the problem for us. Hope it will work for you guys.

Don't blame Adobe, i'm sure they'll read my post to fix this in the next version of premiere

• 8. Re: CS6 Media Browser Problem
                        daniels46548219

"Don't blame Adobe, i'm sure they'll read my post to fix this in the next version of premiere "

Well, they didn't.... I'm just getting started with Premiere (CC user for a few years now) and this annoys me so much, all I do is cursing, literally all the time. I needed to google the issue and this came up top. All I'll say is, don't hold your breath. Sadly, I'm not surprised that this obviously old issue hasn't been touched by now (take a look at the post date). It's so typical for Adobe. I need to work with it (and sometimes I like it), but usability is a nightmare on Windows, even on good machines. And not only Premiere that is. The bad thing about all that is, they don't seem to care. Look at the high DPI scaling thing in Dreamweaver, it's been promised for ages, yet, no solution.