• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Avoid White Screen and (Not Responding) Message?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to force FrameMaker to update the screen when it becomes unresponsive during lengthy processes?

I wrote an ExtendScript to open all files in a book (silently), import settings across all files, update the book, and then save as a PDF file. The script runs seven times, each time with different settings to control various things such as conditional text and variables.

The problem is that FrameMaker churns on certain commands, such as opening all the files and importing the settings. During this time, it might take up to 10 minutes to complete the command across all files in the book. If I click off of FrameMaker onto another applicaiton, and then go back to FrameMaker I see only a FrameMaker container window with a white background. The title bar shows the book name and (Not Responding). The script is still running and everything is fine. But there is no feedback to the user to indicate what's happening.

Is there no way to force FrameMaker to refresh the window and remove (Not Responding) from the title bar?

Thanks,

Jason

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

This is more of a limitation of FrameMaker's implementation of the "OWL" interface. The Not Responding title bar and white screen appear not just with scripts and FDK clients, but also with other long FrameMaker operations, like updating large books, etc. In fact, in Kapil Verma's FrameMaker 11 webinar yesterday, the same thing happened when he was creating a book from a ditamap.

One way you can minimize the effect of this is to use a progress bar with your script, so people will know the progress of the script in spite of the white screen, etc.

Rick Quatro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. Can you point me to some examples of how I might implement a progress bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any ExtendScript examples, but you should check the User-Interface chapter of the JavaScript Tools Guide (available in the ExtendScript Toolkit's Help menu). There may be an example or two in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick,

I did. I implemented a progress bar. It also goes white during long processes.

Oh well. I guess I'll just do the best I can given this limitation.

Thanks for your help!

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines