13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2012 2:37 AM by JEShort01 RSS

Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?

Maribeth R Community Member

HAF 932

ASUS P9X79 Deluxe Intel X79 Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3930K Processor

Thermaltake CLP0564 Frio Dual 120mm Universal CPU Cooler

1200W cool master Power Supply

PNY VCGGTX570XPB-CG GeForce GTX 570 Video Card

Crucial CT256M4SSD2 M4 2.5" SSD

4 Hitachi HD 1TB

Ultra U12-40529 Aluminus 3.5" Internal Card Reader

Lite-On iHES112-04 12X Internal Blu-Ray/DVDRW combo drive

Oil Paint Filter FREEZING.jpg

• 1. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?
          Jon-M-Spear Community Member

You might get more luck in the Photoshop forum.  This is Premiere Pro.

However, you make no mention of the size of the installed RAM.

• 2. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?

Thank you.  I actually built it for Pr (I had bookmarked Pr forum) - my bad.  I have 32 GB Ram (4,8's) I haven't gotten into putting thru some footage yet. So since I am here - do you think I built it well for Pr? (I will post my problem with Ps in the Ps forrum)

• 3. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?
              Harm Millaard Community Member

Nothing wrong with your specs. It seems OK. But define 'freezing'.

Is it the white OS screen showing not responding, does it hang, does it require a soft reboot or a hard reboot, does it freeze your mouse, does it show anything in the event viewer? Does it only happen with the oil paint effect or with other effects as well? What version is your video driver? Can you make a dxdiag.txt available for viewing and a Piriform Speccy .xml file as well and post a screenshot from Process Explorer?

• 4. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?
                Bill Gehrke MVP

Since is just recently built computer, I would suggest you download (or maybe you have a utility) to monitor the CPU core temperatures and see if you are running one or more cores to hot.during that process.

• 5. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?
                  JEShort01 Community Member

Maribeth,

Based on other war stories here on the PPro hardware forum, you should absolutely load the latest motherboard firmware for your Asus. It is my understanding that the newer firmware version have fixed some pretty nasty issues that sound similar to what you are reporting.

Good luck!

Jim

• 6. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?

Harm: required a hard boot. top left corner of Ps read 24.8% (or something close to that) nothing moved, mouse cursor froze. I didn't test it against other effects. I did post in Ps forum and I did update the driver 301.42 as well as inserted the ASUS disc and made sure that was in order.  When I went back to Ps and did the filter again it worked!  I don't have a clue what "dxdiag.txt available for viewing and a Piriform Speccy .xml file as well and post a screenshot from Process Explorer" ..... and I'm ok with that . Let's just say I AM GLAD YOU DO AND YOU ARE ON THIS FORUM!!! Thanks.

Bill: I will keep that thought in mind if something happens again. Thanks.

JEShort01: I did everything with the assistance of an IT friend. I will make sure from him that we did do the latest motherboard firmware for the Asus (not just what was on the disc). Thanks.

• 7. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1046942 So to document the correct answer it was video card and motherboard that needed updating. (Thanks for the replies)

• 8. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?
                        Harm Millaard Community Member

Glad you got it working.

I don't have a clue what "dxdiag.txt available for viewing and a Piriform Speccy .xml file as well and post a screenshot from Process Explorer" ..... and I'm ok with that

A bit of an explanation so you may understand why I asked for this information. When people have strange things happening to their system, it is often very difficult to give the information required for others to help them. They often do not even know all the intricacies of their own system in detail, they may have corrupted their system in the past with some software they have installed and forgotten about it, they may have a myriad of things in their system that they are not even aware of.

Instead of asking a huge amount of questions and prolonging the thread, there are some basic tools, that can give answers very quickly.

1. If you go to Start and type in DXDIAG.exe, then choose Run 64-bit Dxdiag and then Save all information, you generate a pretty complete diagnostics file of your system in .TXT format, which can be very helpful in finding problems, like outdated drivers, remnants of older drivers no longer used, codec corruption, and a whole bunch of other useful information to help troubleshooting.
                        2. Next go to the site Piriform Speccy and download and install Speccy wherever you want to. After installation, run the program. You will see a screen that shows the summary of your system. Now from the top menu select 'File' and 'Save as XML'. Select a file location and a file name that is both easy to find and easy to remember. That information is a complete overview of your system, plus all number of details about the components. It saves you from figuring out all the details of your system and gives us a good chance to look at possible causes of your problem.
                        3. Next, install Sysinternals Suite and run Process Explorer. This will show all the processes running in the background and can help pinpoint unnecessary memory hogs or CPU stealing processes. It shows how well a system is tuned and can be very informative to help solve strange problems.

The first two files need to be made available on a website for viewing by others, the results from step 3 can be attached as a screenshot. If people follow these steps, identifying the cause of a strange problem is a lot easier.

You don't need to do that anymore, but I figured I owed you an explanation about what I asked and why.

• 9. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?

Well, my computer is still freezing.  I thought it might have been an issue with Chrome & Norton. It freezes in Ps even when Chrome isn't open.  I did some work on changing things with Chrome/Norton, but anyways I have ruled that out as the issue. 

I don't know why my computer freezes - I was only zooming into the image. Ps. I tried doing the items you said to give you more information.

1. I typed in DXDIAG.exe and it asked if I wanted to go online to look for solutions.  I clicked NO, because I was looking for the Run 64-bit - I found it and clicked it.  It allowed me to save all and I have a .txt document. (Is it ok to attach to thread? Should I start a new thread?)

2. I found Piriform Speccy and clicked download and I tried the free download from piriform, but when I clicked that link (off of the page that had to other 2 for sale) it said Malware Expl - and site was blocked/could infect etc.

3. I tried to download sysinternals suite from cnet and I got:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below

Error><Code>OutOfRangeInput</Code><Message>

One of the request inputs is out of range. RequestId:0b863cbf-db4d-4808-a39d-2bf008435b51 Time:2012-09-04T19:38:11.4168260Z</Message></Error>

I don't know if you will get this message Harm Millaard, I was trying to "mark the thread answered" - not really good with doing that, but I tried to "complete" it.  Anyways. If you don't reply in a few days, I'll just repost, because it was freezing when I did a zoom into a pic vs. any paint/effects.  All the same I think, but maybe it makes a difference.  I really need to get my system rolling, I have video footage that I need to edit and I dread having issues pop up, so I am hoping I can get things set up right.  I am wondering if it has anything to do with dual monitors?

• 10. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?
                            JFPhoton Community Member

....just a crude guess......there have been discussions on this forum concerning problems coming from memory that is not" low voltage",( 1.35v Samsung), used with your cpu......some claim said problems go away with newest bios for motherboard.....some say no....must have the low voltage memory. Read about that and ask Eric on this forum,from ADK.

• 11. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?

Hi Harm,

Can you help me?  I tried the steps you mentioned but I wasn't successful.  My system is still freezing.  I have to do total reboot when it happens.  Can you confirm to me that the

PNY VCGGTX570XPB-CG GeForce GTX 570 Video Card - 1280MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI, 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready

is an ok graphics card? (meaning compatible with CS6 and mercury playback etc)

• 12. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?

I will look into that.  (I copied your post and sent it to someone) Thanks.  How do I contact someone directly on the forum?

• 13. Re: Why does my machine freeze when applying oil paint filter in Ps CS6?
                                  JEShort01 Community Member

To contact an individual on the forum:

1) Click on that person's photo / icon

2) Click on Send Private Message link (upper right area of display)