Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems in placing .jpg images - size shrinks

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been working with InDesign for years and this is the first time I encouterred the following problem. Currently I am creating an online document with InDesign CS5.5.

The problem is that when I place (ctrl + D) an image (.jpg), some of them seem to "shrink" from their original size and become totally pixelated.

My original image is 192 x 380 px and it was placed as 46.08 x 91.2 px

I don't understand what might be the problem. For some of my images it seems to do this and for some not. There are some images that I have previously placed succesfully and then these same images are now shrinked when I place them. Could this be a setting change? I have tried everything, but nothing seems to work.

Very puzzled.

Any suggentions?

Miiagod

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resize your image resolution to 72ppi. By default ID places images at 100% of the output print size, not the pixel dimensions.

See this:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4596195#4596195

and this if you plan to upgrade to CS6:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4502849#4502849

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indesign don't pixelate images if you set them at 100% or less of the original sizes

1st: export to pdfx1a to see if the screen resolution is the problem.

2nd: select with white arrow and see if 100% is the numbre in the measures bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 192 x 380 pixel  image scaled at 100% that also measures 192 x 380 pixels on the ID page has to have an actual resolution of 72ppi:

Screen shot 2012-08-08 at 6.33.03 PM.png

If the actual ppi is different (100 ppi below) and the scale is 100% then the ID object pixel width and height has to change:

Screen shot 2012-08-08 at 6.36.38 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, my only point here is that you have to see the same pixelation in Id or Ps, pixelation should not be a prob if you have your jpg at 100%. Id only show what you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixelation should not be a prob if you have your jpg at 100%.

There are 2 problems pixelation and the image dimensions on the page. Placing at 100% solves pixelation but not necessarily the dimension problem—you need 72ppi actual res to solve both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help on this. I opened the images in PS and indeed - some of the resolutions were 72dpi (placed fine), some 150dpi and some 300dpi (both resolutios placed smaller).

This means then that I have to change the resolution of all my images to 72dpi (a lot of work really for something that has worked earlier). What I don't understand is that why has this never been a problem before? I have done these kinds of documents with this same package over 200 pages and now this seems to be a problem. I have placed images with various resolutions with good results before. Is there a setting that I could tweak?

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This means then that I have to change the resolution of all my images to 72dpi (a lot of work really for something that has worked earlier). What I don't understand is that why has this never been a problem before?

I don't see any difference in behaviour, just checked CS3 and it works the same.

I have done these kinds of documents with this same package over 200 pages

Are you designing for web display? This would only matter if you are trying to view actual pixels at 100% where your ruler units need to be pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am designing for web. Sorry if I am not understanding what you actually meant, but these are my settings for the ruler units:

settings.PNG

As I mentioned in the previous post, this "resizing" has not happened before, even though I have placed images with higher resolutions than 72dpi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned in the previous post, this "resizing" has not happened before, even though I have placed images with higher resolutions than 72dpi.

The scale percentage that shows in the Transform panel is the scale relative to print output so if you change image resolution the image dimensions have to change.

ID does not resample when you scale—it's the same as resizing in Photoshop. If you change the resolution of an image with resample unchecked its dimensions have to change. So, a 5"x7" image at 72ppi becomes 1.2"x1.68" at 300ppi when you resize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. What is the default print output resolution that ID refers? is it 150dpi or 300dpi?

And why sould this be the default when the user has already chosen as 'Web' as their Document's intent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no print or image default. The output image resolution is relative to the scale of each image and shows as the Effective ppi in the Info panel when you select the image. The print resolution is chosen in the Print dialog and depends on the device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your page dimensions are 800 x 600 pixels and you export the page as a JPEG, you would have to choose 72ppi if you want the exported JPEG pixel dimensions to also be 800 x 600.

In order to keep specific pixel dimensions without resampling the pixels on export to an image format, the incoming and outgoing res has to be 72ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks very much for your help. I will pay more attention to the inport image resolution in the future, especially now that I know what the requirements are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines