16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2012 3:23 PM by Peter Spier RSS

InDesign pdf into Quark

trftimes001 Community Member

When I import a pdf file made with InDesign into Quark some of the type disappears when printing. I can see it on the screen but it does not appear on the printed page. It will be in the middle of a paragraph just one line. Not a whole sentence or paragraph but one line at various points on the page.

• 1. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark
          Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I think we need to know more about the font, the way the PDF was made, and other details about the ID file like transparency usage, blenidng modes, and so forth, and whether the disappearing text shares any sort of attributes with other missing text.

• 2. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark
            BobLevine UGM-MVPs

For Quark, at least through version 7 or so, you’d be far better off with EPS since Quark would internally convert them to EPS anyway.

Other than that, I suggest asking in the Quark forums.

Bob

• 3. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark

I can send you a copy of the pdf file if you would like. It was not created here but sent to us. The missing text appears on the middle of a paragraph where all the type is the same. We are using Quark 8 and the pdf was created with Indesign 5.5

• 4. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark
                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

It wouldn't hurt. No promises, though. Send me a link by Private Message (Click my name to go to my profile to use the PM system).

• 5. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark
                  Fede Gianni Community Member

maybe quark is doing the magic trick when importing. i've stopped working on quark since CS2 appears, but used to place ONLY eps on quark, because every other type of file was a problem.

what if you open it with illustrator? look for overprint attribute in the mentioned text

• 6. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark
                    rob day MVP

Try flattening the PDF (PDF 1.3) in AcrobatPro. You can do that via Save As > PDF... > Format PDFX > Settings > PDF/X1-a

• 7. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark
                      Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

The type that's dropping out seems to be a custom encoded subset of a Type 1 Futura font. Quark might not be able to read the custom encoding, though there is also some othe custom encoded text in the Ventures ad and somewhere else I wasn't able to spot.

Can I ask Why you are putting a full page PDF into Quark like this? The page seems to be complete on its own....

• 8. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark

It's too time consuming to open every file and covert it when you don't know if the file will be a problem. We run a hundred files like this every week and never know if one will be a problem. We cannot open them in Illustrator since we often don't have all the fonts in our system that are in the file. On our own files we use eps but these are submitted files from customers and converting them all to eps is tedious and the files become very large. I have optimized files in the past but that has created other problems in the past.

If there is some setting I can have the customer change on his end I would be up to suggesting it to them.

• 9. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark

Peter

We are bringing it into a template so that we can put two pages together for our printing press. We don't use imposition software we just do it in Quark.

Is the font is different throughout the paragraph?

• 10. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark
                            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

The font is the same throughout that paragraph.

I stopped using Quark at version 6, but using it to impose PDFs like this used to be a recipe for disaster. That particular PDF is not flattened, and that may certainly be a factor. I'd take Rob's suggestion and convert it to X-1a and see if it helps, and ask your clients to send you PDF/X-1a in the future. I'd also suggest that if you do a lot of this, and it seems like you do, something like Quite Imposing, which is an acrobat plugin, would be a good investment.

• 11. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark

well, you can say the customer to save in PDF-X1a, which is a preset that came on indesign. or to convert the text to outlines (the same large files that converting to eps)

• 12. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and assistance. I hope that one of them will fix our problem.

• 13. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark
                                  BobLevine UGM-MVPs

Fede,

That is HORRIBLE advice that simply compounds the bad workflow that’s already being used.

Quark is not, and never was, am imposition program for PDFs.

Bob

• 14. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark
                                    rob day MVP

I had a client a few years ago laying out a book catalog in Quark 6 and my ID exported PDFs had to be PDF 1.3 or they would not work.

• 15. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark

I'm sorry Bob. you're right from here to China. Please forgiveme.

i only wanted to help solving a specific problem with a specific solution, because is very frustrating when something is not working.

there is a latin-american point of view of what assistance, or support are, that prays "we have to do it with the tools we have" (in spanish "lo atamos con alambre" = "tie it with wire" (?) approx) reasons are short budgets, or too much beaurocracy, that makes the optimal solution never cames o cames toooooo late, and needs of quick responses, sometimes the "wire" is the only solution. Unfortunately, after years of dealing with problems, this kind of thinking starts to take your entire brain.

• 16. Re: InDesign pdf into Quark
                                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

http://www.quite.com/imposing/

The basic version is $475 US, so I find it hard to believe it wouldn't pay for itself in a couple of weeks.