Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Navigation Trail

Nov 09, 2006 Nov 09, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Working with RH X5 generating WebHelp.

I searched both Peter and Rick site and this forum but didnt find something similar to my needs..pls help

What I want to do is.. I want to create a Navigation Trail like below on my help output.. either on the Topic or the toolbar..anywhere..

Home>>Welcome>>Login>>Change password>>

So looking at the above what this would mean the user went from Home to Welcome then to Login..and etc..and clicking any of the above links it would take him to that page.. e.g. If the user is in Change Password Topic and wants to go to Login page,simply clicking the Login link from the above would take him to that page.. So visting any help topic would display how the user got there.. e.g Hosted Exchange>>Add Hosted Exchange>>Remove Hosted Exchange...

Is this possible? Please help..

Thank you
Kewal
Have a great weekend.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kewal

I believe what you are referring to is known as a "breadcrumb trail". Click here to visit fellow Adobe Community Expert Roger Nilsson's page explaining these.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,
Thanks for your fast reply.

YES this is what I want to do. BUT I still need some help.
How to I use this file?I've followed the instructions from Roger's site but it doesnt say how to use this file with the project.

Doing some guess work, but not working. Please help

Thank you

Kewal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 11, 2006 Nov 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kewel -

Roger here. I shall be more explicit.

You will want to 1) modify the given breadcrumb.js file to match your Website layout, and 2) insert the reference to the .js file where ever you want to see the breadcrumb trail, usually at the top of the Web page, like this:

<SCRIPT src="breadcrumb.js" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"></script>

There are the instructions on the page to help modify the .js file to reflect your site:

- Replace all instances of ' http://www.copperfieldpub.com' with your own home or start page.
- Add another line for each new directory and subdirectory into the Crumb Arrays. Add these three elements for each new directory:

- Path: the single directory name
- Name: the user-friendly text you want to display onscreen
- Url: the full URL to the parent page for this directory or book

Further, the script is based on your directory structure - so it help if you have divided your content files into directories, based on subject. Knowing these things makes a difference when planning the design of your help system:

- The script creates the breadcrumb hierarchy based on the directory tree.
- This tree should be based on the Table of Contents (a generation configuration available with MacroMedia's RoboHelp and RoboHtml).
- Each directory name must be unique.
- Each web page must have a <TITLE> tag.
- This script will display up to five levels (seven, if you count 'Home' and the current page).

Post back if you need clarification on anything....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2006 Nov 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roger and Rick,

Thank you for your help.

Well I followed the above, but still I was not able to make the breadcrumbs appear. Some mistake I am doing I guess.

What I've done.
1. Added the file UserGuideBreadCrumb.js to baggage file folder of the project

2. <SCRIPT src="UserGuideBreadCrumb.js" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"></script> --> Adding this line in the body of the topic showed a RED box, so I guess that was an error so I pasted the code into the <head> section of the topic.

3. The below is the script in the userguidebreadcrumb.js

//* Build breadcrumb path on page for navigation
//* Copyright 2004, Copperfield Publishing; http://www.copperfieldpub.com

function Crumb(Path, Name, Url) {
this.Path = Path;
this.Name = Name;
this.Url = Url;
}

BagOCrumbs = new Array();

// add new directories here. the format:

Path: How to use Help
Name: User Guide
Url: \\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\Index.htm

Path: Login as a User
Name: Logging On
Url: \\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\Logging_On.htm

BagOCrumbs[0] = new Crumb("Home", "Welcome", "How to Use Help/Welcome.htm");
BagOCrumbs[1] = new Crumb("Logging On", "Logging On", "/Login as a User/Logging_On.htm");

// ... we build the path and display it

var i, x;
strConcat = ">>";
strUrl = document.location.href;
strList = "<a href='/'>Home</a>";
strDebug = "";
aryDirs = strUrl.split("/");
for (x=0; x < aryDirs.length; x++) {

for(i = 0; i < BagOCrumbs.length; i++) {

if (BagOCrumbs .Path.toLowerCase() == aryDirs.toLowerCase()) {

strList += strConcat + "<a href='" + BagOCrumbs
.Url + "'>" + BagOCrumbs .Name + "</a>";
i = BagOCrumbs.length;
}

}

}
strList += ">>" + document.title;
document.write(strList);

At the moment I am generating the webhelp on a sharepoint, and later there will be a link on web app to access the help.

Thank you

Kewal
Have a great Monday 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2006 Nov 16, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Still waiting help on this issue.

Thank you
Kewal
Have a great weekend.
😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Nov 16, 2006 Nov 16, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kewal

One thing that I see that could be an issue is that your HTML file may be in a folder. Yet you are simply referencing <SCRIPT src="UserGuideBreadCrumb.js". So lets say your page is in folder "Kewal" of your project. I'm guessing you added the js file to baggage. When you did, it's a possibility that you added the file to the root level of the project. If you did (Which would make perfect sense) you need to amend the path in your HTML page so it correctly references the js file. In this case, again assuming you have a folder named "Kewal" off the root where your HTML page is, the reference would look like this:

<SCRIPT src="../UserGuideBreadCrumb.js"

If the folder structure is like this: Kewal/Tech and the page is in the Tech folder, it would look like this:

<SCRIPT src="../../UserGuideBreadCrumb.js"

If you are wondering about a really easy way to figure out the shorthand, take a look at how your .CSS file is referenced and you should have an excellent guide.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 18, 2006 Nov 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kewel -

Besides Ricks' excellent advice, I would also recommend removing the lines:

Path: How to use Help
Name: User Guide
Url: \\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\Index.htm

Path: Login as a User
Name: Logging On
Url: \\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\xxx\Logging_On.htm

In the .js file, these are instructions, describing the components of the BagoCrumbs[] array, and are commentted out with the double slashmarks:

// Path: the name of the directory
// Name: the text you want to display onscreen
// Url: the URL to the page for this group page or book

This merely describes the components as the Path (the directory name), the text you want to display, and the URL to the page. You add this information into each array element. Make sure you specify the correct path, and URL to the page:

BagOCrumbs[0] = new Crumb("Home", "Welcome", "How to Use Help/Welcome.htm");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 19, 2006 Nov 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roger and Rick,
Thank you for your reply.

I got my answers from both your post. But there is one simple error I am getting which I dont understand why? When I add the script code in body section I get a RED box in WYSIWYG editor. I tried running similar script else where outside RH it worked fine, i.e no errors found in the code.

Not sure if there is a different way to script in RH?Or is there something else that I am missing??

Thank you,

Kewal
Have a great Monday 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2006 Nov 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kewal

As long as the script works and doesn't give you problems, the red box simply indicates that the page contains JavaScript code appearing where the red box does. It's not an indication that something is wrong.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 20, 2006 Nov 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
...and, by the way, this should have appeared in the WebHelp forum, right?

=======(Original Post)==================
Hi All,

Working with RH X5 generating WebHelp.
====================================

I only mention it because not all HHAs (Helpful Help Authors) monitor every forum, so you might be missing out on just the right solution because your request for assistance was posted in the wrong slot.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp