13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2012 3:45 AM by Peter Spier RSS

Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?

gd0

I'm broke.

I'm also stuck with my old G4 Mac; it is maxed out as far as upgrades.

G4 Powermac PPC, 667MHz, OSX 10.4.11 (Tiger), 1.5G RAM

I already own Photoshop / Illustrator CS2, and Acrobat 7.0, bought when they were current. I've been using Quark all this time.

I'm looking to buy a copy of InDesign CS2 if only to get familiar with it and avoid losing more projects simply because I don't have this app.

I'm looking at one online that appears to be sealed ($200). What are the complications, if any, of buying something so old? If it is as described, is there anything that would prevent it from operating? Does this old app require registration? What am I missing?

Any advice, including pricing or alternate ways to acquire ID CS2, is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I think you know the risks. It could be counterfeit, or an educational product, or part of somebody's upgrade chain, all of which would mean you can't register it. Scammers all have shrink-wrap machines these days.

There are legitimate copies out there, but hey are not easy to find. Is this an individual or a comapany? Do you have any way to check their history or reliability? Are you willing to lose $200 if it turns out not to be for real?

• 2. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
            BobLevine CommunityMVP

In addition to Peter's notes, what kind of projects do you think you're going to get with CS2? I's effectively five versions out of date. You might consider moving to Windows where you can get a much less expensive machine and to Creative Cloud which will give you every Adobe application in the Master Collection along with a lot more for only $49.99/month.

Even if that CS2 is legit, and I have my doubts, it's still throwing good money after bad.

Bob

• 3. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
              gd0 Community Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yes, I'm aware of the risks. I was just looking to see if anyone else has gone through this process, and if there are any details therein that I'm unaware of.

The copy in question was found on ebay, so I'm as skeptical as you are. They say 'sealed', but I wouldn't know how to confirm that. Though they did attach an image of the pkg serial number. Is there a way to track that with Adobe to determine its legitimacy?

I can't afford a PC and new S/W, much less a new Mac. I'm really looking to get cheap access to any ID, just to gain some familiarity with it. Not so much for landing projects, but to claim experience with the Suite to secure employment. (Yes, I know the later versions are fairly different, but I pick up apps in a hurry.)

My biggest problem is money. I'd like to think that years removed from its initial release, there was an affordable IDCS2 out there somewhere. I can't be the only one $tuck with an old workstation.

I will never migrate to the Cloud for any reason. That's a security disaster just waiting to happen. If it becomes evident that my project files would be entirely disconnected from the Cloud, then I'll look into Cloud-based apps. Otherwise, my future consists of many external hard drives.

Thx

• 4. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
                Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Money and the cloud are different issues. There is no requirement that cloud users store anything in the cloud. That's an option for those who want to be able to access their files from anywhere, but youare free to keep things entirely local if you wish. The applications are downloaded and installed locally, and the only reason you need an internet connection to work with the cloud after installing is to periodically verify that the subscription is still valid.

• 5. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
                  gd0 Community Member

Just bumping this one last time in hopes that someone might steer me to a legit copy of ID CS2.

Otherwise, I guess the not-unexpected conclusion is, once again: I'm screwed.

This is intriguing:

Peter Spier wrote:

The applications are downloaded and installed locally, and the only reason you need an internet connection to work with the cloud after installing is to periodically verify that the subscription is still valid.

If that's so, how does Adobe ensure subscription compensation? They must surely have access to disable the apps for nonpayment? Can't say that I understand the Cloud at all, but if I can be convinced that my clients' projects are 100% isolated from the internet, I'd avail myself. Of course that means new HW/SW, so I'm years away.

Again, thanx for the replies. I'll leave this up a couple more days, then mark the helpful responses.

• 6. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
                    BobLevine CommunityMVP

They check the servers periodically to see if you’re paid up. If you’re not, the software is disabled.

Bob

• 7. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
                      Fede Gianni Community Member

besides of serials and registration numbers, (a kind of lottery) depends on the kind of work you want to do.

if you start a project from scratch to pdf, yo can do it in quark, but this is not where you are losing projects, i think.

if you want to work with others, probably CS2 can get you more trouble than solutions, i recommend at least CS4, (i used to work in CS4 with a G4, with a little more RAM than yours) because every version have his OWN save format, and saving for different versions can be a mess for teamwork, you said that you're losing projects, but after buying, ask your client which version of CS they need you to work on, i really doubt that anybody ask you to work in CS2, even when it was a good and stable version of inDesign.

• 8. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
                        Peter Spier CommunityMVP

The process is similar to activation-  the apps phone home, if you're paid up the server says so and the program continues to run, if not it will stop running.

• 9. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
                          gd0 Community Member

Don't want to dwell on the Cloud, but I do appreciate the info. As it is, Adobe detects my existing CS2 apps, yes? So, if there really is internet access, if only to enable/disable CS, that tells me a remote possibility exists that my files built in Cloud apps can be accessed from the outside. Which means I can't play. As I started doing creative work since well before desktop-anything, I've always guaranteed my clients' confidentiality, even if it is "only" commercial work.

Enough Cloud. I can't go there even if I want to. Need new hardware/software.

Fede Gianni wrote:

if you want to work with others, probably CS2 can get you more trouble than solutions

I sort of understand the version hierarchy, though not in detail. Almost all the work I do consists of creating original files (for print and web). Most often in the case of print, clients will take those files and have another party do future edits for cheap. At that point, it's their problem re: ID versions. I get assignments based on my creative chops.

As noted above, I'm maxed out system-wise (and money-wise). I can barely afford an old ID just to get familiar with it as a beginner, so I can either A) generate new files as described above, or B) fake my way through an on-site assignment or claim competency for employment opps.

Thanks again, guys.

• 10. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
                            Fede Gianni Community Member

in this case, CS2 will be not bad, you learn the basics of InDesign, it's a solid version, and future collaborators can edit your work in any CS3, 4, 5, 6...

but it will be a problem if you send documents back and forth with CS5 and 6 (there is a workaround to convert from CS4 to CS2)

so, now, it not sounds as bad as i think in your firs post!

• 11. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
                              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

gd0 wrote:

Don't want to dwell on the Cloud, but I do appreciate the info. As it is, Adobe detects my existing CS2 apps, yes? So, if there really is internet access, if only to enable/disable CS, that tells me a remote possibility exists that my files built in Cloud apps can be accessed from the outside. Which means I can't play. As I started doing creative work since well before desktop-anything, I've always guaranteed my clients' confidentiality, even if it is "only" commercial work.

Adobe doesn't look at anythign but the subscription info. Are you saying you have no internet connection at all for that machine? That's the only way you can guarantee no outside hacker access. If you're connected for eamil or browsing, your vulnerable, but behind a network firewall the risk is so small it can really be ignored, and nobody wants your creative files, just your personal info, financial data, and passwords.

• 12. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
                                gd0 Community Member

^ Gotcha. It's just that when I read about such hackage as that WIRED writer experienced, I'm not inspired to be there (even if it was by his own clumsiness). Maybe later. Online CS aside, I just don't get the appeal of the Cloud when hard drives are cheap.

Anyway, thanks to all who replied; all answers were helpful.

Breaking news: looks like I might have a line on a local known entity where I can get a legit copy along with a money-back guarantee. Back to the grind...

• 13. Re: Acquiring ID CS2 for old Mac - any conflicts?
                                  Peter Spier CommunityMVP

The appeal of the cloud is probably three-fold.

It's cheap (and you can run both Mac and PC on the same subscription), especially if you use a lot of the programs.

It's up to date. Patches and feature extensions on the cloud are issued more frequently (at least in theory) than the regular bug-fix downloads. Installation is still optional.

It's convenient. For those who are not cloud phobic you can travel anywhere there is a network connection and download the apps onto any machine capable of running them, or access files you've stored. Though I tend to share your pessimism about hosting files online, as I said before I don't believe thy typs of files that one would store would be of much use to anyone. I don't know who your cleints are, but mine don't have industiral spies trying to steal their ads before they go public.