• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to globally change text box color

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A client-provided template (Captivate 5.5) has a modified text caption based on XPNote, but colored with a green color. It's style name is "+[Default Caption Style]. This is the prefered text caption and color. But the actual project default text caption is XPNote with blue color. I want to globally change all blue XPNote captions to green.

If I go to Properties for the existing green box, and select Create New Style, the resulting object is blue. The color information is lost.

If I change a blue box to green, the property icons (Create New Style, Save Changes to Existing Style) are grayed out. And if I click Apply this Style To... I'm not given the option to apply to Default Caption Style.

Should be simple, but I can't figure out.

Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Please go to Edit>Object Style Manager and Select the Default Caption. Change the color from there and Apply this. It will apply the color in all the slides where you have Text caption.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no option to change the background color in Object Style Manager. The only color option is for Character (text and highlight). Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The Text Caption background is determined by the bitmap images supplied for that particular caption type. If I remember correctly, the "XP Note" style had basically five different color choices. Normally you see five different bitmap variations where one was a simple rectangle and four others were different bitmap images with a callout pointer up and to the right or left and down and to the right or left.

If you are concerned about the color, you will need to either create your own bitmap image and use it for the caption background, or simply copy the XP Note set and configure all the colors to be the same by doing some file copying and pasting and renaming.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, the XP Note style is an oddball style that doesn't come in five pointer options—only in five colors (blue, green orange, red, yellow). It displays those colors in the General panel (where normally you would see the five pointer options). So there already exist .bmps for each of these colors ("XPNote1.bmp", "XPNote2.bmp", etc.), and I can easily change one of these captions to green just by choosing green in Properties. I see now that Object Style Manager has a folder I can click to select a different .bmp, but doing so doesn't change the color. It remains blue no matter which BMP I choose (1, 2, 3, 4, or 5).

So how do I get the green .bmp to replace the blue .bmp globally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Okay, let me try explaining this a slightly different way, as you don't seem to be totally understanding.

Consider this situation. You have five different pictures.

• Bear
  • Dog
  • Penguin
  • Eagle
  • Cat

These are the equivalent of the five bitmap images. Perhaps the Bear image is the Caption 1 style with no callout pointers. So that type is using the Bear image. But you have four other images. You want perhaps the Penguin image to be used instead of the Bear. What you will need to do is to copy the Penguin image and save it using the same file name as the Bear image. It will then bear the Bear filename, but in reality will be the Penguin. With me so far? I hope so.

There is a slight wrinkle here. Once a caption set has been used in a project, you can monkey with the bitmaps all you like and it will have zero effect on what is inside an existing project. This is because once you use a Caption set, they are cached inside the Captivate CPTX file. So to change things, you will have to visit each caption where you want it to be green, and select green specifically. But if you want future projects to reflect green, you might be able to copy the bitmap images inside the gallery to make it happen.

I say *MIGHT* because if you are using Windows 7, it gets all freaky about this location and often won't allow you to make changes such as adding, deleting and renaming files.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then what's the point of letting users choose from among all of the bitmap colors (e.g. 1-5) via the folder icon in Design Style Manager if your choice is always overridden by color #1? (I did some experimentation and this appears to be true even with a fresh, new project, i.e., presumably no cached images). If a user can only utilize BMP #2, 3, 4, or 5 by replacing BMP #1, then what you're describing makes absolutely no sense at all from a usability perspective. What if you want to use color #1 again? Do you have to keep a backup copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this would be better explained by using a video.

Stand by as I record one and I'll post the link to view it in a few...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, see if this helps you make better sense of it.

Click here to view

Sorry about the parakeet chirps and dog barks. I'm outside on my back deck enjoying the cooler temps!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, that's a great video!

Actually, I understood your explanation before without the video; I was simply pointing out the cumbersomeness (i.e., poor usability) of Adobe's implementation of the XPNote style. As I said in an earlier post, and as you confirmed in the video, XPNote is a different animal from the standard caption because XPNote's attributes are colors, not pointers. Adobe could have designed XPNote like the other caption styles, and created XPNote_Blue, XPNote_Green, etc. But they did not, and it is that decision that is a great disappointment and source of confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The XP Note caption has been around since...well since Windows XP was popular.  So we're probably talking five or six years now.  This is the first time I can recall someone logging a post about it being "cumbersome".

I actually felt that the way Adobe implemented this caption was quite useful.  I've used these captions several times for different types of notes I wanted to appear in courses.  I'd use the red one for warnings or failure captions, the green one for tips or success captions, the blue one for hints etc.  Never had a client say they wanted pointers on them.

However, it's a free world and tastes are allowed to vary.  So if you think you'd like to see pointers on these captions, by all means log an enhancement request.  If enough other people are clamoring for it, Adobe might listen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me clarify. I don't want pointers on XPNote. It's perfect without pointers. I just would like the option to globally apply the green color to all my XPNote captions without jumping through hoops. It might take some creativity on Adobe's part, but that's all I'm asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In that case, I would suggest that you show Adobe how to do creativity and create your own modified copies of the XP Note captions.  Just create copies of all files in the XP Note set including their related FCM files and copy them into the Captivate install folder > Gallery > Captions folder with different names.  You can get the idea of the naming convention each caption needs to follow, and if you open the FCM files for each caption in Notepad or similar you can see how they control the text in the captions, etc.

Don't try to just change the existing captions.  You need to create your own separate version.  Then you should be able to select these custom captions from the dropdown in Captivate.

That's going to be quicker to do than wait for Adobe to give you what you want (which might just be never).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources