• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simulate Unicode Font in a Design

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a t-shirt and I want to use the typeface Unicode 6.0 UTF-8, or a substitute. I've searched a lot, and it looks like that font is used in programs like Dreamweaver, TextWrangler, etc., but I can't find where to download the actual font, to use in a program like Illustrator or inDesign.

This is an example, using OCR-A font, but I really want the Unicode.

OCR.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are...misinformed. Unicode/UTF-8 is not a font. It is an encoding, or a way of specifying which character you mean. It does not say anything about letterforms. Most modern fonts support Unicode, and anything that supports Unicode supports UTF-8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but that's not a typeface you're describing, but rather an encoding. Pretty nearly all fonts these days use Unicode. UTF-8 is a specific way of representing Unicode text.... "Unicode 6.0 UTF-8" is kind of like saying ASCII or MacRoman or Win-ANSI. It describes a character set and encoding, not the name of a typeface or a font.

I think that TextWrangler used to use Monaco as the default font. I think they may have changed to Consolas (the big sibling product, BBEdit, uses Consolas, hence my theory). I would check my installation, but of course the first thing I do is mess with the default font settings....

On the Mac, Dreamweaver CS 5.5 defaults to Times New Roman in preview, and Monaco in code view.

So I think what you may be looking for is Monaco, which is a Mac system font. It isn't available on Windows, however. The closest alternative that is more broadly available would be Mark Simonson's Anonymous Pro, which is modeled in large part on Monaco. Or you might even want the older version, Anonymous, which has an "a" more similar to Monaco.

These are both available at no charge from the designer (despite the URL):

http://www.ms-studio.com/FontSales/anonymouspro.html

http://www.ms-studio.com/FontSales/anonymous.html

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Thomas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines