9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2014 9:46 AM by AllenMcCabe RSS

File comparison utility for OS X

delaneypub Community Member

In Dreamweaver CS6 on Mac OS X Lion, what file comparison utility should I use and what is the path to it (for the Preferences setting? I have TextWrangler installed via the App Store, but selecting that does nothing. There is supposed to be a twdiff command line program installed but it can't be found on my Mac.

• 1. Re: File comparison utility for OS X
          mytaxsite.co.uk CommunityMVP

delaneypub wrote:

In Dreamweaver CS6 on Mac OS X Lion, what file comparison utility should I use and what is the path to it (for the Preferences setting? I have TextWrangler installed via the App Store, but selecting that does nothing. There is supposed to be a twdiff command line program installed but it can't be found on my Mac.

What do you need it for?  As I understand it, you no longer need it.

<http://www.reedolsen.com/mac-os-x-file-comparison-software-no-longer-needed/>

Please tell us what exactly you are trying to do so that a better approach can be given.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: File comparison utility for OS X

This is in order to use the Compare with Remote Server function on the File menu. This is configured in Preferences in the File Compare category. It also enables a Compare button on the dialog box when you do a Put, and Dreamweaver detects that the files are out of sync.

Before I installed Xcode, I tried using /usr/bin/opendiff, but when I tried to use the Compare with Remote Server function, nothing happened. I tried selecting the TextWrangler app after I installed that, but again, nothing happened. I expect it to work like it does on my Windows laptop, where it opens the utility comparing the local and remote versions of the file.

• 3. Re: File comparison utility for OS X
              yshivaprasad Adobe Employee

Hello,

Following help link should help you to setup file comparision in Dreamweaver:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-7edda .html.

Let me know if you have any queries/concerns.

Regards,

Yalpi Shiva Prasad

Adobe Dreamweaver Team

• 4. Re: File comparison utility for OS X

I'd been to that page before, but looked at it again. While I was still on OS XLion, I used the Browse feature on the File Compare Preferences screen to select /usr/bin/opendiff. It populated the box with Macintosh HD:usr:bin:open diff, and then the Compare with Remote Server function worked. (It was the path to the program that I had incorrect - I had entered it just like the example on the Help page.)

HOWEVER, now that I have upgraded to Mountain Lion (and I also installed the latest XCode), the function is broken again. The Preferences setting was changed (by XCode?) to Macintish HD:usr:bin:xcrun, and when I try to use the Compare with Remote Server function, nothing happens. ALSO, when I try to select a different program in Preferences, the path is not updated. It stays pointed to the xcrun program.

So, still broken! You're my only hope, Ad-OBE WON-ks!

• 5. Re: File comparison utility for OS X
                  yshivaprasad Adobe Employee

Hello,

You can use twdiff or diffmerge for file comparison.

If TextWrangler is installed without Admin previliges, twdiff will be available at /usr/local/bin/twdiff. On selecting this file in Dreamweaver System Preferences, it is replaced with the actual command path. And then you should be able to compare local file with the remote file.

I was also able to set Dreamweaver to use diffmerge(/usr/bin/diffmerge) for file comparision and Dreamweaver is successfully launching the tool for comparision.

Can you please try with twdiff or diffmerge once and let me know the XCode version if you are still facing the issue.

Regards,

Yalpi Shiva Prasad

Adobe Dreamweaver Team

• 6. Re: File comparison utility for OS X

Yalpi,

I was able to do the Compare with Remote Server function successfully after I set the Dreamweaver preference to /usr/local/bin/twdiff.  Thanks!

Before that I had tried to set the Dreamweaver preference to /use/bin/opendiff as it says in the help document, but Dreamweaver changed the path to Macintosh HD:usr:bin:xcrun, and the function did not work.

Elaine

• 7. Re: File comparison utility for OS X
                      pennetr8 Community Member

I have DW CC 13.2. on Mac Mini 10.9.2

I have specified TextWrangler 4.5.7 as my File Compare preference.

When I try to compare local-to-local or local-to-remote using any of the methods mentioned above, Wrangler opens an empty file, that is, I get no results. However, I can successfully use Wrangler's Search > Find Differences... to compare local files. I don't know if I installed Wrangler with admin privileges (as alluded to above) or not and I don't know how to ascertain if I did after a cursory searh. Also, such an install was not mentioned in the link provided above. I looked for /usr/local/bin/twdiff in the terminal ( cd /usr/local/bin/ ) but it is not there.

• 8. Re: File comparison utility for OS X
                        skstuart Community Member

I found the twdiff when you right click on TetWrangler in the application folder, click on "Show Package Content". Go to Content > Helpers and in there you will see the twdiff folder. What I did was right click to Get Info and copy where the file is (/Applications/TextWrangler.app/Contents/Helpers). Now back to Dreamweaver and paste the link in Preference > File Compare-- make sure you add /twdiff at the end so it should look like /Applications/TextWrangler.app/Contents/Helpers/twdiff It now opens up on its own when you compare files in Dreamweaver. Hope this helps! 

• 9. Re: File comparison utility for OS X
                          AllenMcCabe

If you update Xcode, be sure to open it and agree to the terms and conditions. If you run /usr/bin/opendiff on the console prior to doing this, you will notice it doesn't launch but asks that you agree to the terms.

After launching Xcode and agreeing to the terms, my file compare on Dreamweaver started working again as expected.