Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ASCII equivalent of CF's URLDecode?

LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone.

Even though I've been working with CF for over a decade, this is going to sound like a total n00b question.  I'm just drawing a blank, right now.  Google isn't much help.

Is there an ASCII equivalent of URLDecode??

Where I work, everything that is inserted into a database goes through a filter that changes certain characters to their ASCII equivalent (ie, the less than "<" is altered to "&lt;").  For displaying the data, I need to revert the &lt; back to < for formatting (there are <br /> in place of line breaks, in the data.)

If not, I suppose I should check cflib to see if there is a UDF.  Hmm..

Respectfully,

^_^

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Well, first, that's not ASCII encoding, that's HTML Entity Encoding.

Second, no. There is not a built-in function for decoding HTML entities. The purpose of the function is to use it when displaying output to the screen, not to use it before sotring data for later use.

Obviously that doesn't help since you already have a system that encodes before putting data into the DB. So you need a way to decode it.

If you are using CF8 or CF9, with all of the security hotfixes installed, or you are using C

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Won't the function you mention solve the problem you are describing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, first, that's not ASCII encoding, that's HTML Entity Encoding.

Second, no. There is not a built-in function for decoding HTML entities. The purpose of the function is to use it when displaying output to the screen, not to use it before sotring data for later use.

Obviously that doesn't help since you already have a system that encodes before putting data into the DB. So you need a way to decode it.

If you are using CF8 or CF9, with all of the security hotfixes installed, or you are using CF10, then you'll have ESAPI available to you via Java integration. ESAPI is a security tool from OWASP with built-in encoders and decoders. You can use those. Here is how.

<cfoutput>

<cfset string = "&lt;hi&gt;" />

<cfset list = createObject("java", "java.util.ArrayList") />

<cfset htmlCodec = createObject("java", "org.owasp.esapi.codecs.HTMLEntityCodec") />

<cfset list.add(htmlCodec) />

<cfset encoder = createObject("java", "org.owasp.esapi.reference.DefaultEncoder").init(list) />

#string#

<br />

#encoder.decodeForHTML(string)#

</cfoutput>

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dan: Unfortunately, no, as URLDecoder is primarily for reverting URL Encoded text (the equivalent of < in URL Encoded text is "%3c", not "&lt;".)

@12Robots: Brilliant!  I'll give that a shot and report back.  Thanks, again!

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DRAT!!  I'm getting an error message:

Class not found.  org.owasp.esapi.codecs.HTMLEntityCodec

Granted, this is on my personal CF Server, which is 9.0.1 (pre-June 1, 2012), but I don't know if the settings are any different on the dev or production servers.

Just in case I can convince my boss to make sure the settings are available in dev/production, how would I fix the issue?

Thanks,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alllllllllllllllllrighty, then.  I downloaded and installed the two security hotfixes for CF9.0.1.  The first one, by itself, did not fix the issue; but applying the second hotfix worked.  I am now not seeing the error message regarding the missing class.  AND, it appears to be doing exactly as 12Robots stated.  Awesome!

Thank you, again, 12Robots!

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, that's why I said you needed all of the security updates.  ESAPI didn't come with CF9 by default. It showed up in Security HotFix 2.

You could have added the file manually by downloading the ESAPI jar, but doign it this way is better.

Glad it worked out.

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation