Exit

Browser Based AIR Help not displaying in browser

Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All!

Publishing with RoboHelp 8...

WebHelp generates and publishes properly to the server. Viewable, working, all good.

Browser Based AIR Help previews, generates, publishes, but won't display via IE or Safari. All that I get is a blank page instead of index.htm

Side Note/Side Issue: Project contains links to Baggage File PDF's. The links in the WebHelp version works properly. The BB AIRHelp only displays a blank page

Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the help been moved from where you generated it to another local location?

Check the copy where you generated it. See Snippet 106 on my site. I think it is the same problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I just attempted to publish a current RoboHelp HTML project as Browser-based AIR help. I published directly to the network server (\\onbase.net\shares) and I get the same results - a blank index.htm page. However, when I publish to the !SSL folder locally and launch the index.htm file, the help launches with no problem. How did you work out your issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first thought it that the network server to which you are publishing is not a web server. You will need to liaise with your IT people on that.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. What preparation needs to be done on a web server to accommodate browser-based AIR help?  I have been trying to find an article on it.  Can you point me to one? (I did try viewing the browser-based help in my network folder in a Firefox browser.  It complained about the flash plug-in, but when I installed it, it didn't do anything to make the help viewable.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If this is just a connection using a drive letter, you likely need to add the location to the "white list" for the Flash Player as described in the link below:

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added the network folder to the locations in the Flash Player settings.  Still a blank screen when I open index.htm.  I will investigate with our IT department.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your IT people will know what is required.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to suggest an ever so slight tweak to my colleague's verbiage.

Your IT people *SHOULD* know what is required.

Happy Friday all... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think some of the "SHOULD" be put on the instruction from Adobe (and me). We host many apps on our website, so if there are any specific intricacies to hosting browser-based AIR help, its up to me, Adobe, and resources I can access like this community board to figure it out. 😕

Specifically - From what I am reading, all I should have to do is give IT my Browser-based AIR help folder to my IT dept. and have them point to the index.htm file. Just like WebHelp. We have all the plug-ins required.  BUT, when this is done, we get the error message "Error in accessing help fileserverbasedhelp."  I'm not sure what this message means, much less how to correct it.

I did some investigating and found an article about using the AIR APIs to launch a browser-based version of the help on their PC, as well as how to launch an install for the users.  ( http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AIR/1.5/devappshtml/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118666ade46-7e15.html) But, I don't believe this is what we need.  We just need our users to VIEW the AIR browser-based help from OUR server.

I will continue to play with the other options in the AIR Output screens, like "Specify the URL for Online Help," but the instructions on Peter's site say that this is only used when generating "AIR Application and Browser based Help" as the Output Type.  (I am only trying to generate "Browser based Help."

Any assitance is appreciate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that how a web server should be configured is way beyond what RoboHelp OLH can cover. Consider the number of server operating systems.

What I was getting at was that you were referring to a network server rather than a web server. On a server not configured to host web sites, you will encounter problems. If the server is a web server, then you should be OK.

http://www.grainge.org/demos/bbair/ links to some browser based air help on my site. My service provider did not have to do anything special to make it work.

I have neither seen the error message you report nor seen anyone else report it.

Is the address your customers use similar to mine? Should I be able to access it with a link?

Create a small project with a couple of topics and see if that works on your server. If it does not, send me the project output and I will put it on my site to test.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The help was placed on a virtual machine by one of our developers.  As long as I iknow I have done what I'm supposed to with the output and the index.htm file, I will check more on the IT side about the server environment and investigate.  Hopefully, I can post a success and what I've encountered for others soon.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the virtual machine configured as a PC or a web server?

If as a PC then it is not going to work.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took the suggestion and successfully published WebHelp for a smaller project. 

WebHelpSuccess.jpg

With great anticipation, I then tried to publish the same project with the same parameters, but this time as browser-based AIR help.  Got the problem with only being able to view a blank screen when I hit "index.htm."

I tried to publish browser-based AIR help with and without the "Server" screen also, but still go the blank screen problem. serverscreen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take that back about the Server stuff.  😕  I forgot to hit the "Publish" button when help was finished generating.  That's the good news.

The bad news is.... now I got this error...

Finished compiling Adobe AIR output in 6 sec(s)

Warning: Failed to publish to "Ian's Virtual Machine". reason: Connection failed. Please check the connection and post again.
Native Error: The server name or address could not be resolved.

I don't think anything happened to the server from the time I published all of the other cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geeez.  I hate when people make me think like this on a Monday!  OK.  I can't gain access rights to the IT server.  I will configure my own PC as a server, publish the AIR help to it and see if a group of lucky contestants can hit it. Stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browser based AIR Help has to be on a web server as I keep saying.

How can you make a PC into a web server? Sharing a drive is not the same thing.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Application_Server_vs_Web_Server

Good luck.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Just a comment about something I'm seeing that is a very hazardous practice depicted in your screen captures.

I see what I'm assuming to be the "test WebHelp", but in the "Output Folder and Start Page" field, I note you appear to be pointing to \\CSG... and that would appear to me that you are specifying the ultimate destination where things will end up after publishing.

Note that generating and publishing are two completely different processes. Again, perhaps this was a one off just to test things. But if you are actually working this way, be prepared for lots of issues. One of the first things that happens is that RoboHep attempts to delete all the files in the output folder before it creates the new set of files. If you are pointing to the final upload location, you could see issues as RoboHelp attempts to delete the files and "pulls the rug" out from beneath the users that may be accessing them at the time.

Some folks think they are being clever and saving a step or two by working this way, but in fact, they are causing themselves grief down the road.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the catch, Rick.  I was just hurrying through and wasn't looking down the road.  I will definitely keep my working directory and publish directories separate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have IIS and can create one locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know how that goes.

I still think the quickest way to establish prove the problem is the server is to let me have the output for the test project. I can put that on my site for a short period so that only you or anyone you give the link to can access it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set up a server and web client for publishing and had a developer check it.  It is fine.  I successfully published a small project as browser-based help and had others view it via the server. Now for the bad news...

I set up a new web client (site) on the server -  in the same manner - and created a new SSL for it - in the same manner.  This SSL, however, was for my main (larger) project.  It won't publish!!!  I get the "Publsihing has been cancelled. The process cannot access the file becasue it is being used by another process." error message.  Looks like others have this problem, too.  I checked community, read the posts, and have tried the recommended remedies (rename the folder, uncheck Republish All, etc.).  Nothing works.  I've even create a new site from scratch, new application pools, etc. and that doesn't work either. 

I spent all day with this yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you publish to small project to the location you are trying to use for your main project? You have proved the small project can be published OK to one location so being able to publish it to the desired location would prove that location is capable of running browser based AIR help. If that too refuses to publish to this different location, it doesn't identify the cause but does point to the location being the issue rather than the output.

My offer to put your main help on my server just briefly enough to test it works there remains open, subject to size.

Have you tried copying the generated output to the server rather than publishing it?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the time you're investing on this, I might humbly suggest that you engage Peter or one of these guys to take a look at your setup remotely...

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts (or is that euro to doughnuts?) that your problem is in the workflow and that looking directly at your setup would quickly uncover the issue. If not, you'd likely be able to get the Adobe engineers to look at it and more rapidly reach a conclusion.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 25, 2012 Aug 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get  the "Publsihing has been cancelled. The process cannot access the file becasue it is being used by another process." error message if you use the same location for your Browser-based .air file "Start Page" and your server's virtual directory "Destination Path" (see pic).

I also noticed that when you create a new AIR SSL format in an existing project, RoboHelp automatically fills in the Output Locations with a file structure from the last AIR SSL you configured.  I guess this was done as a user "convenience," but in my opinion lead the user down a bad path.  Specifically, it identifies an "index.htm" file that doesn't exist yet, so to me, this tells you that an Index.htm should be used as a starting page (common to most hosted UI). So, I thought that I should be browsing to the index.htm file that I would create in the virtual directory on my web server (ie., Destination Path)...hence the error message.

pubbusy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp