6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 5:27 AM by ggingco RSS

PDF link issue in Dreamweaver

ggingco Community Member

Clicking on PDF links in Dreamweaver brings up an Adobe PDF error that says: "There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat. If it is running, please exit and try again. (1:1)". We tried reinstalling to the latest version of Acrobat X but the error continues.

We thought this was an Acrobat error, however PDFs function normally so long as they are not called out from Dreamweaver. We have tried reinstalling Dreamweaver with no luck as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Machine is Windows 7 with Dreamweaver CS5 v6 and Acrobat X.

• 1. Re: PDF link issue in Dreamweaver
          AllDayDev Adobe Employee

Where exactly are you clicking on a link to a PDF?

Is it within your page in Dreamweaver, or part of the Dreamweaver application itself?

Assuming it's a page, does it occur in Live View?
          What are you expecting to happen when you click on the link?

• 2. Re: PDF link issue in Dreamweaver
            ggingco Community Member

Where exactly are you clicking on a link to a PDF?

Clicking on a link in a web page when previewed inside Dreamweaver.

Is it within your page in Dreamweave, or part of the Dreamweaver application itself?

Within my page in Dreamweaver

Assuming it's a page, does it occur in Live View? No. This problem stated when Dreamweaver was upgraded, never happened before.

What are you expecting to happen when you click on the link? The pdf file to be opened

• 3. Re: PDF link issue in Dreamweaver
              AllDayDev Adobe Employee

OK, why do you want to preview/open a PDF from within Dreamweaver?

You should be able to do so while in Live View, but I would not expect this to work in just Design View in any version of Dreamweaver.

If you are just trying to test out what the experience would be like for the visitors to your website, then you should be doing so in a web browser. e.g. use Preview In Browser from Dreamweaver, then click the link for the PDF from within your browser.

• 4. Re: PDF link issue in Dreamweaver
                ggingco Community Member

OK, why do you want to preview/open a PDF from within Dreamweaver?

Added new content which includes the pdf link to my web page and need to ensure the link works before going live with the web page.

You should be able to do so while in Live View, but I would not expect this to work in just Design View in any version of Dreamweaver.

Before received Dreamweaver upgrade, I previewed the web page in the web browser and clicked the links on page to verify if worked and no problem. I should be able to continue to do so now.

If you are just trying to test out what the experience would be like for the visitors to your website, then you should be doing so in a web browser. e.g. use Preview In Browser from Dreamweaver, then click the link for the PDF from within your browser.

I agree, as previously stated, this is what I'm doing and it's not working......the pdf file does not open.

• 5. Re: PDF link issue in Dreamweaver
                  hans-g. MVP

Hello,

have a look here http://hansgd.de/AdobTest/pdf/pdf.php, where I tried to use images with links to a pdf-file. Maybe you could explain in your problem a little more for me.

Hans-Günter

P.S.

It's really a pdf file. (Screenshot > image inserted in WORD > doc file converted to pdf)

Nachricht geändert durch hans-g.

• 6. Re: PDF link issue in Dreamweaver
                    ggingco Community Member

Ok,,,, I failed to mentioned that I was still using the old Dreamweaver files that were in the older version from the Citrix server which was not allowing me to open up the pdf files.  Now, that the Webmaster relocated the new Dreamweaver version on my desktop so that I do not have to go through Citrix on yesterday.  In my attempt to open up the previous pdf file, it now opens.  So, I'm assuming the problem is resolved.

However, I am no experiencing a problem when clicking the Preview page in Browser, it extremely long before file opens.  After opened, it is strangely opening up 2-3 separate windows of the page.