18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2012 4:29 PM by Brett N RSS

File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6

h.j.schuetze@t-online.de Community Member

Hi there,

if this has been covered already I´m sorry, but anyway...

Working on a iMac27 with 12Gb Ram. Recently upgraded Photoshop from CS5.0 to 5.1, then shortly thereafter to CS6. What I noticed is that the file size of opened files with layers roughly doubles from CS 5.0/5.1 to 6.0. Everything seems to stay the same with a single-layer file, but not with files with several layers. Opening and saving files seems to have slowed down somewhat, but not drastically, but having a file with fomerly 1,5Gb suddenly increasing to 3,4Gb size is somewhat problematic because of limited Ram, because it effectively limits the amount of layers I can pack into one image file.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6
          Lundberg02 Community Member

You will need to describe exactly what you are doing, i e when does the file size increase and where are you seeing it, for example.

• 2. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6

Hi, thanks for asking!

Basically I noticed this when I opened files in CS6 created formerly with Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1. At least the numbers of the document size given at the bottom of the image window suggested that the size had roughly doubled.

• 3. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6
              PECourtejoie ACP

Hello, are those document 16bits? did you add the plugin to disable flate compression? http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/save-psd-psb-images-compression.html

Another possible cause would be the compatibility checkbox when you save.

• 4. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6
                PECourtejoie ACP

Are the settings in the infobar the same?

The filesize is the uncompressed one. Maybe is there a way to compute the data that would be different from CS6 and CS5.

Did you check on the hard drive if the file size changes?

• 5. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6

Hi, thanks a lot!

Ok, one after the other:

Hello, are those document 16bits?

Yes - I saved a copy from the original file and reduced to 8bit. Slightly less when opened, but not substantially (from 1,51 Gb to 1,3Gb).

did you add the plugin to disable flate compression?

No, I wasn´t familiar with this plug in, but doesn´t it say that the file wize wil increase, but saving will be faster? Not sure if it would adress this problem at all.

Another possible cause would be the compatibility checkbox when you save.

I tried that (= unclicking the compatibility check box), and the file when unopened on the desktop was much smaller (down to 60Mb from 240Mb). However when opened it was still the same issue.

Are the settings in the infobar the same?

Not sure if I understand what you mean.... In the opened file, or getting info on the file on the desktop?

The filesize is the uncompressed one.

At the bottom of the image window it gives me 2 numbers: The left one is much smaller (163Mb), the right one is roughly 1,5Gb. Just opened again in PS CS 5.1: Left one is the same, the right one says 633Mb (16-bit file). So CS6 actually makes roughly 2,5 times the file size out of it.

Did you check on the hard drive if the file size changes?

Just did, the file size remians the same.

Kinda surprised that no one else seems to have encounterd this problem. I recall Chris Cox having made a comment about overall sluggishness of CS6 when opening and saving, and he remarked that it´s the "well known" layer management issue in CS6. Not sure if this somehow relates also to my problem.

• 6. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6
                    PECourtejoie ACP

Hello,

first, if you don't want spam, I urge you to change your user name.

Then the only issue is the way the filesize is reported in the info bar, if they are set the same way in CS5 and CS6. Maybe is the info computed differently in CS6 But given the fact that the filesize is the same on disk, you have a non-issue.

The disable flate compression would disable the compression for 16bits files, that would make way bigger files on your hard drive, but if your disk subsystem is very fast (SSDs), would be faster to save and open, rather than to compress/decompress on the flly during the saving/opening steps..

• 7. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6

Hi,

regarding the username: Good hint, thanks!

Yeah, it´s strange, I´m kinda hoping the someone from Adobe will sooner or later pick up on this thread and maybe contribute an explanation. One thing I noticed: CS5/5.1 were rather slow when opening 16-bit files. CS6 is considerably faster, even though it shows a much larger filesize once opened. Time used while saving seems roughly equal, though. That may lend support to what you said about the file size just being represented differently in CS6.

• 8. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6
                        Brett N Adobe Employee

The file sizes you see on disk are compressed. When you open the file in Photoshop, the file is uncompressed and you will see that the reported size may double, triple, or change to some other multiple. This is normal and expected. You should see the exact same info when you open the file in CS5.

As a test, open a file created in PSCS5/5.1, don't make any changes and use Save As to make a copy. Then compare the original CS5 file with the new CS6 copy. You likely won't see any change in file size.

• 9. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6
                          Noel Carboni Community Member

I have a moderately large, multi-layer (something like 45 layers) image on hand.  It's 1.1 GB on disk...

ImageStats.jpg

When opened in Photoshop CS5 and CS6 in succession I see these things:

Photoshop CS5:

PsCS5DocSizes.jpg

Photoshop CS6:

PsCS6DocSizes.jpg

The file actually opened a few seconds faster on Photoshop CS6.

-Noel

• 10. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6

Hi Noel,

thanks for your input! It´s a good Idea to post pictures of what I see in the lower left corner of the image window in terms of file size. OK, here goes:

This is the file in Photoshop CS 5.1:

FileCS5.1.jpg

And this is the very same file without any changes opened in CS6:

FileCS6.jpg

So, it is quite a bit of difference.

• 11. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6

Hi Brett,

thanks, but I was referring to opened files. In terms of hard disk space used up with closed files, there doesn´t seem to be any difference between CS5.0/5.1 and CS6. See my reply to Noel - I addes part of a screenshot which shows what I mean.

• 12. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6

Not to make you work even harder, but could you please put up screenshots of your Performace preference dialogs from both apps?  Also the Info panels, Layers panels, anything else that shows info about the document...  Ideally the whole screen.

I'm just thinking there must be a settings difference or something that explains the difference.

-Noel

• 13. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6

Hi Noel,

sorry for not answering earlier!

Looks like I found the culprit - it´s apparently just a matter of different cache levels and cache size. The ideal setting seems to be 4 cache levels, and a cache size of 128Kb (not sure if I´m using the proper terms, since I work with the german version of PS and have to translate, but you´ll probably understand what´s meant anyway). The funny thing is that I did already play around with those settings earlier, but only after repeating the exact same settings I used in PS CS5.1 did the size of an opened file in CS6 show the same (or almost the same...) size as in CS5.1.

Sooo... much ado about nothing.

At any rate, thanks a lot for your help, which is much appreciated!

• 14. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6
                                    Brett N Adobe Employee

Cache levels is the number of copies of your file opened at once. Why have multiple copies open at once? Well, each cache level is a different zoom of your image, so you can zoom in and out quickly without Photoshop having to generate a new version of your file at the given zoom size. So this take more space on the disk when the file is opened. Increasing and decreasing cache levels is about performance in overall memory usage vs. being able to zoom in and out quickly. (And these are standard zoom sizes like 50% and 200%, etc)

• 15. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6

Brett N wrote:

So this take more space on the disk when the file is opened.

Brett, please check into this, but as far as I know the Cache Levels setting doesn't affect the file size on disk.  It's all about RAM.

-Noel

• 16. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6
                                        Brett N Adobe Employee

Right, Cache size will not effect the size of the file on disk. The cached levels do not get saved with the document, they are just used while the file is open in Photoshop and are thrown out when the file is closed. So it's all about RAM (unless you run out of RAM and move into Scrach disk).

And in reference to my and the OP's comments on why I was explaining about Cache Levels, when looking at the screen shots in post #10 above, the number on the left is the amount of memory that the file is using while open in Photoshop, the number on the right is the amount of memory available to Photoshop to fix said file into. So the "doubling in size" is actually that CS6 has more space to work with, not that the file is opening any larger. The important number, the first one which represents the size of the document, is the exact same between versions, which is as it should be. So this just illustrates how different performance settings in Photoshop can change some of these numbes.

• 17. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6
                                          conroy Community Member

Brett N wrote:

... the number on the left is the amount of memory that the file is using while open in Photoshop ...

Observation reveals that to be incorrect.

The number on the left appears to be the number of bytes consumed by an uncompressed composite with the canvas size, colour channel-count and channel bit-depth.

The memory consumption can be hugely greater than that when a document contains off-canvas regions, multiple layers, alpha channels, masks, etc.

• 18. Re: File size doubles from Photoshop CS 5.0/5.1 to CS6
                                            Brett N Adobe Employee

That is correct Conroy, so I should clarify. The number on the left is the amount ofmemory that Photoshop is using to display the file while it open. You will notice that this value will change when using the crop tool to reduce or increase the canvas size, whether or not you delete the cropped pixels.