4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 1:42 AM by mhk1058 RSS

Lightroom 4.1 - I Cannot import Nikon D300s video / movie files into catalogue - Can you?

D300s Issue Community Member

Hi,

I can import all of my movie files produced by other cameras into my Lightroom 4.1 catalogue, I have the most recent version of Quicktime installed and obviously as I can import other camera model movies it proves that the basic Lightroom services and processes are working fine.

When I try to import the movie, first on the import module it says 'unable to create preview' and then it states, 'this movie file contains no video frames'.

I had gone back to Lightroom 3.5, but have since realised this version doesn't publish my movie files to flickr if they are >30Mb due to the way the Lightroom 3 Publishing module craps out on memory usage.

I know the D300s records movies using the J-MPEG codec, but I'm not sure if this is a problem with the codecs installed on my machine or whether Lightroom does not support this codec?

Before I waste another few days on trying to resolve the D300s import issue, can anybody else preview and import their Nikon D300s video files into Lightroom 4 or 4.1?

Thanks,

Simon

• 1. Re: Lightroom 4.1 - I Cannot import Nikon D300s video / movie files into catalogue - Can you?
          -Agfaclack- Community Member

i have issues with some MPG files that can not be imported.

these files are not from nikon cameras but it shows that something is broken in LR 4.1

they worked with LR v3.6.

example:

Format                           : MPEG-PS
          File size                        : 605 MiB
          Duration                         : 4mn 25s
          Overall bit rate                 : 19.1 Mbps

Video
          ID                               : 224 (0xE0)
          Format                           : MPEG Video
          Format version                   : Version 2
          Format profile                   : Main@High 1440
          Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
          Format settings, Matrix          : Default
          Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=12
          Bit rate mode                    : Variable
          Bit rate                         : 18.5 Mbps
          Width                            : 1 280 pixels
          Height                           : 720 pixels
          Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
          Frame rate                       : 24.000 fps
          Color space                      : YUV
          Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
          Bit depth                        : 8 bits
          Scan type                        : Progressive
          Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.836
          Stream size                      : 581 MiB (96%)

Audio
          ID                               : 192 (0xC0)
          Format                           : MPEG Audio
          Format version                   : Version 1
          Format profile                   : Layer 2
          Bit rate mode                    : Constant
          Bit rate                         : 384 Kbps
          Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
          Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
          Video delay                      : -83ms
          Stream size                      : 12.1 MiB (2%)

• 2. Re: Lightroom 4.1 - I Cannot import Nikon D300s video / movie files into catalogue - Can you?
            mhk1058

Did you resolve this? I have a D90 with exactly the same issue.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 4.1 - I Cannot import Nikon D300s video / movie files into catalogue - Can you?
              D300s Issue Community Member

Nikon cameras use the M-JPEG codec that is not normally installed on peoples computers, the best one I've found is the PICVideo M-JPEG Codec.

I installed it and suddenly Lightroom 4 started working properly. Essentially Lightroom 3 did not need codecs as it did not use video previews and opened video in an external media player, on mine it was VLC which didn't need the codec.

Really Adobe should license the most common decoders for use in Lightroom, rather than making the customers waste months of their time trying to isolate the root cause of the issue.

Anyway, try finding out what Codecs your videos need (Nikon are usually M-JPEG) and then download the correct Codec for the task.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 4.1 - I Cannot import Nikon D300s video / movie files into catalogue - Can you?
                mhk1058 Community Member

Thanks very much for the reply and the solution. As you say, it seems crazy that the Adobe boards have plenty of people struggling with the same issue and it's very difficult to find the answer. It's even crazier that Windows Media Player and even Quick Time recognise and play the Nikon AVIs just fine and yet Adobe have not made it possible for Lightroom to do the same out of the box or at least make it obvious that there is likely to be a problem.

For the little I use AVIs I won't be forking ot 30 bucks for the codec, I have an ancient copy of Cyberlink Power Director that reads/plays/edits my Nikon AVIs just fine.

Thanks again.