6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2012 5:11 AM by ProInnovation RSS

Batch Replace Footage Option? CS6

ProInnovation Community Member

HEY!

I submitted a feature request and wanted to see if anyone else had some interest in this option. I use DUALEYES to sync .WAV files with my DSLR footage so I have high quality audio. When I have the new files, I then replace the original footage that is already imported to the Premiere Pro CS6 project. Without this option, to the best of my knowledge, you have to right click each file and choose replace. Then choose the new file that is labeled MVI_0889_CLEAN.MOV to replace the file MVI_0889.MOV ( The original with a basic scratch audio track. ) This works out great except for the fact I have to do it roughly 300 times for the footage I have imported. Next time I can do this all before starting the project, but this time, it would help out a lot to be able to batch replace.

Does anyone have a better way of doing this or a way to make this process easier?

It would be really nice if Premier Pro CS6 could do this processing of syncing audio and video files with clean separately recorder audio files. Dual Eyes saved me so much time, it's odd that Premiere doesn't have this built in. It would help out so much.

Thanks!

- Rob

• 1. Re: Batch Replace Footage Option? CS6
          shooternz Community Member

When you use 'Dualeyes' to synch video with external audio...what do you end up with? ie ...a new clip ?

How is it done?

BTW ; you probably meant Plural Eyes.  Even so, I dont know the workflow so interested to know?

• 2. Re: Batch Replace Footage Option? CS6
            ExactImage Community Member

I'm not familiar with DUAL EYES because we use Plural eyes, but if it's possible to have Dual Eyes export the clips with the same name, but to a different folder then you could simply take all footage offline in Premiere Pro and then reconnect all media to the new folder.   This is similar to how we work with proxy files and works for all files in one operation.

• 3. Re: Batch Replace Footage Option? CS6

When using DualEyes, you end up with a new clip that has the original video footage and the externally recorded high quality audio synced up with the heads and tails clipped perfectly. If you use the Try really hard option, it takes it's time to make the matches. The whole process isn't really long at all. Plural Eyes is a plugin made by the same company. I use dual eyes becuase it makes new clips and you can do it right before importing all of your footage. It works great. I put the link to the trial in the first post.

• 4. Re: Batch Replace Footage Option? CS6
                ExactImage Community Member

ProInnovation wrote:

When using DualEyes, you end up with a new clip that has the original video footage and the externally recorded high quality audio synced up with the heads and tails clipped perfectly.

That's what I expected, so there are no audio handles for L & J cuts ...... oh well....

• 5. Re: Batch Replace Footage Option? CS6

ExactImage,

That's a great idea and would work but I would like to have the new file names when imported. I know it isn't a big deal, but it would help me organize which footage is the new synced audio clips and which is the original.

My original clips with scratch audio is labeled MVI_2345.MOV

My new clips that have been created with DualEyes are labeled MVI_2345_CLEAN.MOV

If I go offline and then reconnect the media, I believe all of the clip names will be the same. I do feed my external audio into the 60D via a cable and the H4N audio recorder, so my original clips audio isn't all that bad. I just don't want it to slip through the cracks instead of having the clean HQ .WAV file synced clips in the timeline. That's where the _CLEAN label would help out if a batch replace footage option with a check box that says "Rename clip names to file names" would be excellent. FCP had something similar to this which worked great. You would right click on a clip and choose rename, then you had the option to rename the file to the clip name or the clip name to the file name. It helped out greatly when trying to keep a huge project organized. If we can add this feature to a new batch replace footage option, that would be AMAZING!

I switched from FCP 7 to Premiere Pro CS6, and what an excellent decision that was. Thank you ADOBE!

- Rob

• 6. Re: Batch Replace Footage Option? CS6

There aren't handles but the clips I have are all raw with plenty of space before and after the takes for editing. They are .MOV files from the 60D so each time I start and stop the camera to slate it, I have more than enough to work with since it makes a new file each time.